Why Is Hillary Running Left? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:02:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why Is Hillary Running Left? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Is Hillary Running Left?  (Read 2969 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: May 01, 2015, 09:36:26 AM »

Shouldn't this be posted to the 2016 board?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 11:17:13 AM »

Shouldn't this be posted to the 2016 board?

Maybe, but it is about demographics. If Muon2 wants to move it, that's OK by me. The thing about the other Board is well, whatever. Smiley

Haha, I knew you would say that. Smiley

From a cursory reading of the article, a minor quibble that comes up is I don't think "Appalachian voters" (who are surely gone) are the "Clinton coalition", (at least in the sense that it is not a part of what is meant by an enduring coalition built by Clinton but which lasts beyond elections in which he himself was on the ballot). A better candidate as representative of the coalition might be, for instance, the Philadelphia suburbs. All 3 counties bordering Philly went for Bush in 1988, and have mostly gone Democratic since.

There is no question that leftist dissatisfaction with some aspects of Clinton's politics has rendered those aspects obsolete, but unlike Trende I don't think everything can be reduced down to demographics and Obama. He seems to think like a Marxist substituting race for class. It's not Obama, for instance, who's driving leftist dissatisfaction over trade, criminal justice, and civil liberties issues. It's (a) genuine change in the facts on the ground (b) genuine generational change of attitudes, as well as the results of ongoing national discussion and debate. I think these are ultimately what's driving Clinton more than demographics.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 11:33:37 AM »

Oh, yes. I read his article on the makeup of the 2014 electorate vs. 2012, and I agree with him on that point completely. Ironically in that one, he's arguing that demographics aren't the driver, so I suppose I pegged him too early.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies