Impact of a Clinton victory in 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:54:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Impact of a Clinton victory in 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Impact of a Clinton victory in 2016  (Read 7617 times)
JonathanSwift
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2015, 12:02:34 AM »

While it is hard to predict events either before Election 2016 or during Clinton's first term (a major terror attack, economic crisis, etc.), it seems certain that the GOP, if it loses both the PV and the EV in 2016, will fully embrace SSM and abortion rights. It will have to if it doesn't want to appear to anyone under 50 (60? 70?) as the party of the past. It will find other ways to distinguish itself from the Democrats. Green, conservative and libertarian parties will continue to grow in popularity, and the number of communities that use IRV will grow.  I believe Clinton, like her husband, will govern as a centrist.

What seems quite likely, however, is that Clinton will lose the popular vote but still win the election if the GOP wins back FL, OH, and possibly either VA or CO (but not both). In this case the GOP may be energized as the Dems were after 2000 and might not make any platform changes just yet.

Either way, Clinton governs as a centrist.

It seems quite likely that the Republicans would embrace homosexual marriage, but I doubt they'd embrace abortion.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2015, 06:16:47 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2015, 06:18:29 PM by mathstatman »

While it is hard to predict events either before Election 2016 or during Clinton's first term (a major terror attack, economic crisis, etc.), it seems certain that the GOP, if it loses both the PV and the EV in 2016, will fully embrace SSM and abortion rights. It will have to if it doesn't want to appear to anyone under 50 (60? 70?) as the party of the past. It will find other ways to distinguish itself from the Democrats. Green, conservative and libertarian parties will continue to grow in popularity, and the number of communities that use IRV will grow.  I believe Clinton, like her husband, will govern as a centrist.

What seems quite likely, however, is that Clinton will lose the popular vote but still win the election if the GOP wins back FL, OH, and possibly either VA or CO (but not both). In this case the GOP may be energized as the Dems were after 2000 and might not make any platform changes just yet.

It seems quite likely that the Republicans would embrace homosexual marriage, but I doubt they'd embrace abortion.

Ironic, if true, since abortion rights were thought by many to be a done deal in 1973, while homosexuality was still classified as mental illness by the APA.

What I can see is the GOP distinguishing itself from the Dems in supporting abortion rights during the first 20 weeks, supporting the rights of states to decide after that, and supporting bans on late-term abortions, all the while giving moral support to pro-life crisis pregnancy centers and expressing a general desire to see the number of abortions (continue to) decline. Too many people I think are uncomfortable with the GOP platform's support of a near-total ban, and have felt this way since at least 1989.
bobloblaw
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2015, 11:31:24 AM »

While it is hard to predict events either before Election 2016 or during Clinton's first term (a major terror attack, economic crisis, etc.), it seems certain that the GOP, if it loses both the PV and the EV in 2016, will fully embrace SSM and abortion rights. It will have to if it doesn't want to appear to anyone under 50 (60? 70?) as the party of the past. It will find other ways to distinguish itself from the Democrats. Green, conservative and libertarian parties will continue to grow in popularity, and the number of communities that use IRV will grow.  I believe Clinton, like her husband, will govern as a centrist.

Ironic, if true, since abortion rights were thought by many to be a done deal in 1973, while homosexuality was still classified as mental illness by the APA.

What I can see is the GOP distinguishing itself from the Dems in supporting abortion rights during the first 20 weeks, supporting the rights of states to decide after that, and supporting bans on late-term abortions, all the while giving moral support to pro-life crisis pregnancy centers and expressing a general desire to see the number of abortions (continue to) decline. Too many people I think are uncomfortable with the GOP platform's support of a near-total ban, and have felt this way since at least 1989.

The GOP will remain the prolife party even if they embrace gay marriage. Polls of millennials show they are the most prolife generation with baby boomers the most pro choice generation. The opposite is true of gay marriage.

In fact if the GOP embraces gay marriage they MUST become even MORE prolife so as not to lose socons.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2015, 11:33:16 AM »

The GOP will remain the prolife party even if they embrace gay marriage. Polls of millennials show they are the most prolife generation with baby boomers the most pro choice generation. The opposite is true of gay marriage.

In fact if the GOP embraces gay marriage they MUST become even MORE prolife so as not to lose socons.

Can we see these polls you speak of?
bobloblaw
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2015, 11:40:07 AM »

find them yourself and do some reading.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2015, 11:43:01 AM »

That's not how sourcing works.

As far as everybody is concerned, you're now just talking out of your ass and have no actual logic behind your "argument."
bobloblaw
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2015, 12:38:31 PM »

As far as everybody is concerned, you're now just talking out of your ass and have no actual logic behind your "argument."

i dont have to source anything for you and i dont care if you believe me or not. If you dont know how your generation thinks about abortion, then fine with me.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2015, 01:10:44 PM »

i dont have to source anything for you and i dont care if you believe me or not. If you dont know how your generation thinks about abortion, then fine with me.

Why do you post then? If you don't care whether people believe you or not, did you not just admit to rambling? Smiley

I also don't need someone to tell me how my generation thinks about abortion, especially when they don't have a clue. Smiley
bobloblaw
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2015, 02:02:16 PM »

Why do you post then? If you don't care whether people believe you or not, did you not just admit to rambling? Smiley

I also don't need someone to tell me how my generation thinks about abortion, especially when they don't have a clue. Smiley

youre right, your generation doesnt have a clue
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2015, 05:55:43 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2015, 06:01:12 PM by DimpledChad »

You know, it's considered common courtesy to cite a source when someone asks for it, so they know you're not just pulling numbers out of your ass. You don't have to get so defensive whenever someone just asks for a source.

EDIT: Oh, and just to put an end to this pointless back-and-forth, I've disproved your claim.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/mar/11/ralph-reed/ralph-reed-millennials-more-pro-life-boomers-or-se/

Millennials were least likely of all age groups to call themselves pro-life:

Millennial: 40%
Gen-X:  45%
Baby boomer:  47%
Seniors:  53%
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2015, 06:08:48 PM »

The irony of this post isn't lost, believe me. Smiley

You know, it's considered common courtesy to cite a source when someone asks for it, so they know you're not just pulling numbers out of your ass. You don't have to get so defensive whenever someone just asks for a source.

EDIT: Oh, and just to put an end to this pointless back-and-forth, I've disproved your claim.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/mar/11/ralph-reed/ralph-reed-millennials-more-pro-life-boomers-or-se/

I'm fairly confident in asserting he's probably not going to return to this thread now.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2015, 06:11:47 PM »

Anyone asking for his sources is obviously a stooge of the liberal mainstream media.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »

Anyone asking for his sources is obviously a stooge of the liberal mainstream media.

Yes only the lamestream media uses sources. Remember when they skewed the polls in Obama's favor, letting ACORN steal the election? Angry
bobloblaw
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2015, 08:00:07 PM »

The irony of this post isn't lost, believe me. Smiley

I'm fairly confident in asserting he's probably not going to return to this thread now.

Guess again:
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/08/why-isnt-millennial-support-for-abortion-rights-increasing/244442/

http://www.gallup.com/poll/126581/Generational-Differences-Abortion-Narrow.aspx

YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2015, 08:21:15 PM »

So your first source is an opinion piece based entirely on the author's anecdotes. So, in other words, entirely useless and irrelevant.

Your second contradicts your assertion that they're pro-life, because, even being as "pro-life" as you assert this generation is, only 23% support making it completely illegal. The poll is also, what, 5 or 6 years old now? A huge chunk of the Millennial generation just came of age within' the last 5 years.

Anyway, I've taken the time to find a poll which surveys Millennials, and even breaks them down by race.

http://publicreligion.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Millennials-Topline-V5-FINAL.pdf
bobloblaw
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2015, 06:53:17 PM »

So your first source is an opinion piece based entirely on the author's anecdotes. So, in other words, entirely useless and irrelevant.

Your second contradicts your assertion that they're pro-life, because, even being as "pro-life" as you assert this generation is, only 23% support making it completely illegal. The poll is also, what, 5 or 6 years old now? A huge chunk of the Millennial generation just came of age within' the last 5 years.

Anyway, I've taken the time to find a poll which surveys Millennials, and even breaks them down by race.

http://publicreligion.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Millennials-Topline-V5-FINAL.pdf

Youre exactly what is wrong with young people. You just dismiss any data that disproves your preconceived notions. Youre a Nihilist.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies