Why did Carter do so well in the plains? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:45:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why did Carter do so well in the plains? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Carter do so well in the plains?  (Read 5073 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: April 21, 2015, 11:25:57 PM »

Huh this is strange, Whats with 20% of democrats voting for ford while carter only got 10% of republicans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1976#Voter_demographics

Carter should of been the archtype democrat who could bring back the white conservative democrats back to the party. White evangelical southerner who grew up humble and had a folksy peanut farmer image. What explains why there were double of cross-party votes in favor of ford than the reverse?

If carter gained just 10% of democrats that went to ford he would of got a 400+ EV landslide

Everyone and their grandmother were Democrats back then.  Registered Republicans made up only a little over a quarter of the population.  The potential for Democratic crossovers to Ford therefore would naturally be larger than the opposite scenario.  Those stats you are looking at for people who identify as "Democrats", so I imagine that for 1972 the number of Democrats voting for Nixon would be somewhere in the mid thirties if not higher.

Just my five cents.

I think it's hilarious how the media still pretends Reagan Democrats are a thing. "Reagan Democrats" are either dead or staunch Republicans by now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies