Christie backs means testing of Social Security, raising retirement age
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:00:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Christie backs means testing of Social Security, raising retirement age
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Christie backs means testing of Social Security, raising retirement age  (Read 832 times)
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 12:05:39 AM »

No. A financial transaction tax (which existed from 1914-1965) is different from capital gains. Capital gains is when the revenue of an asset is greater it's purchase price. I'm talking about a tax on Wall Street speculation, the proceeds going to the Social Security Trust Fund.

I like your idea for a tax revenue generator. But I still think SS needs to be altered.

How about this?
Some states have retirement plans for state workers that allow people to opt out of social security. These plans while originally tended to be more defined benefit have moved more towards defined contribution in order to prevent insolvency. These plans are very individualized and allow the person to even control the plan to some extent. You are still limited in choices to reduce risk, but you have some control so you can be more risky and have your plan invested more in stocks or be of lower risk and invest it in things like state bonds. You also can choose not to run it yourself and let it default to how the state board chooses. This will allow for much greater growth than social security and allows it to retain solvency longer.

If that alone is undesirable as there is risk of another economic meltdown like 2008, there could be a minimum defined benefit floor that is insured by the tax you are suggesting. This is the part that functions more like an insurance while the main plan functions more like an actual retirement plan. If your profile at retirement is above the floor then great, if not then it will be subsidized to meet the floor. I think most people, assuming they aren't unemployed for a significant portion of their adult life, would end up above that floor anyway.

Not sure if this would appeal to anyone or not, but I just liked how that state program offered more personalization.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 06:58:15 AM »

Given that the average American lives to mid-70's, raising the retirement age isn't too bad of an idea.

Look at the economic data on who lives how long. People who work grinding jobs for not much pay don't live as long as wealthy people, and they're the ones who need the assistance more. Raising the retirement age disproportionately hurts those who aren't well off, and those who would have trouble extending their working lives even another couple of years.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies