Why is Colorado suddenly so Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:36:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is Colorado suddenly so Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why is Colorado suddenly so Republican?  (Read 4720 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2015, 10:43:58 AM »

I'd always thought Colorado was a mostly blue state. So the results of 2014 boggle the mind: Mark Udall losing to a guy who wants to ban condoms, both the state House and Senate going to the Republicans, the fact that Hick was re-elected was surprising, and Hillary's losing to every single potential Republican candidate in Colorado. This was a state that voted for Obama twice!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 10:54:21 AM »

Uh, it voted Republican for President as recently as 2004. It's a swing state and always has been.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 11:02:05 AM »

If you always thought of it as a blue state, you were just wrong.  So, let's stop there.

It's disturbing how many of you teenagers and college kids equate liberal with "cool," LOL.  If you want to think that way, fine; I can't stop you, and I have no interest in doing so.  However, there are several rich, entertaining and scenic places that vote Republican every once in a while, and it's frankly hilarious that so many of you think of Democrats as strictly enlightened urbanites and Republicans as backwards rural folk.  Ignorance is bliss, though!
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:00:37 PM »

The CO legislature is split: 18R/17D in the senate and 34D/31R in the house, with all Republicans to the right of all Democrats.  Hickenlooper won (by more than expected) and Gardner won (roughly by the polling margin).  Obama won by just slightly more than his nationwide margin both times.  That's a textbook example of a swing state.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 12:02:23 PM »

White people.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 07:11:46 AM »

If you always thought of it as a blue state, you were just wrong.  So, let's stop there.

It's disturbing how many of you teenagers and college kids equate liberal with "cool," LOL.  If you want to think that way, fine; I can't stop you, and I have no interest in doing so.  However, there are several rich, entertaining and scenic places that vote Republican every once in a while, and it's frankly hilarious that so many of you think of Democrats as strictly enlightened urbanites and Republicans as backwards rural folk.  Ignorance is bliss, though!

The Republicans that aren't backwards Condeferate Degenerates are low-IQ religious culture warriors that are single issue (Abortion) voters. And yes, that includes the ones that are outside the South. I have yet to meet one that didn't fall into one of those categories.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 07:27:26 AM »

Colorado seems like a Democratic state because the state Democrats are much better at winning elections than most other swing state parties.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 08:21:40 AM »

The Republicans that aren't backwards Condeferate Degenerates are low-IQ religious culture warriors that are single issue (Abortion) voters. And yes, that includes the ones that are outside the South. I have yet to meet one that didn't fall into one of those categories.

Lie. I am living abroad now, so i surely met less Republicans then you are. But, despite it,  it's not simply lie, it's a blatant lie..
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 11:00:26 AM »

It's not a "suddenly" thing, but the answer to why Colorado isn't as Democrat as it seems is Colorado Springs.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 11:14:03 AM »

I guess that's why Republicans have historically done better in suburbs, usually win the college-educated vote (though they do lose the post-grad vote) and ROUTINELY win the richest income brackets comfortably?  LOL, your simplistic generalizations kind of explain why you're such a sh*tty poster, though.

Your party consistently wins the votes of the poorest Americans and the least educated (high school education or less), so I'm thinking you shouldn't throw stones...
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 12:08:12 PM »

It hasn't moved right in presidential years. While in last year's midterms, Udall underperformed, Hickenlooper bucked the republican the state, and put him in contention for the VP slot.

If one of these VP candidates are strong enough like an Hickenlooper or a Julian Castro, they can certainly perform better among Latinos and college kids, who didn't vote last time, to vote for the Democratic nominee.

Because with the young latino vote, NV,CO  and PA and NH corridor is becoming more important than the OH river valley, and Bennett is looking much better than Udall did in 2014.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 12:14:49 PM »

Well shucks, let me introduce some!

My father is the CFO of a private hospital, and his education includes an bachelor's degree in Accounting and an MBA in finance.  He is pro-choice.  He is a Republican.

My mother is a professor of education at a liberal arts college, and her education includes a bachelor's degree in English, a madter's degree in education and a PhD in education.  She is pro-choice.  She is a Republican.

I am a recent college graduate with a degree in finance.  I am pro-choice.  I am a Republican.

My sister is a sophomore in college at Butler University in Indianapolis, getting a double major in marketing and finance.  She is pro-choice.  She is a Republican.

Glad I could broaden your horizons!!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 12:24:09 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2015, 12:28:45 PM by OC »

2000 proved that young latinos have moved to the left of their parents generation.  When Gore litereally tied Dubya Bush, with Joseph Lieberman on the ballot, in FL,  and could of won with Bob Graham. Young Latinos are now beginning to vote Democratic and beginning to outnumber their parents. And out of the VP picks of Hickenlooper and Vilsack and Kaine, he is the only one under 60.

And with Julian Castro, he can lock down FL/PA and NV/CO senate races that will determine control of the United States Senate.

I like Julian Castro, and Murphy can benefit from his coattails as well, which he desperately needs in this more conservative state than PA or NV.

Hillary camp has already vetted him, out of all the VP picks.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 01:35:43 PM »

I guess that's why Republicans have historically done better in suburbs, usually win the college-educated vote (though they do lose the post-grad vote) and ROUTINELY win the richest income brackets comfortably?  LOL, your simplistic generalizations kind of explain why you're such a sh*tty poster, though.

Your party consistently wins the votes of the poorest Americans and the least educated (high school education or less), so I'm thinking you shouldn't throw stones...

Pfft! Please. Every study and survey shows that people with lower IQ's tend to vote Republican, as those that can't understand complex issues and have very simple thought processes are more attracted to right-wing ideology. Thus this is why the more educated you are, the more liberal you tend to be.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 01:49:21 PM »

Pfft! Please. Every study and survey shows that people with lower IQ's tend to vote Republican, as those that can't understand complex issues and have very simple thought processes are more attracted to right-wing ideology. Thus this is why the more educated you are, the more liberal you tend to be.

This is not how politics works.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 02:03:12 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2015, 02:05:52 PM by RINO Tom »

If you always thought of it as a blue state, you were just wrong.  So, let's stop there.

It's disturbing how many of you teenagers and college kids equate liberal with "cool," LOL.  If you want to think that way, fine; I can't stop you, and I have no interest in doing so.  However, there are several rich, entertaining and scenic places that vote Republican every once in a while, and it's frankly hilarious that so many of you think of Democrats as strictly enlightened urbanites and Republicans as backwards rural folk.  Ignorance is bliss, though!

I guess that's why Republicans have historically done better in suburbs, usually win the college-educated vote (though they do lose the post-grad vote) and ROUTINELY win the richest income brackets comfortably?  LOL, your simplistic generalizations kind of explain why you're such a sh*tty poster, though.

I can tell you simply want to confirm preconceived notions about your enlightenment, knowledge and importance, but it's obviously much more complicated than that.  Yes the "most educated" (post-graduate degree) Americans vote Democrat (though White post-graduate degree voters vote slightly Republican on average, so that right there shows that there are several lurking variables behind your vague and irresponsible assertion).  However, the least educated also vote Democrat, and Republicans win the majority of college graduates (and a hefty majority of White college graduates).

There are a few things that can explain that, and I'm not going to try to pretend to know the exact answer (as I'm sure you will, LOL): it could just be that SUPER duper smart people with PhDs are so enlightened that they've seen the light and become liberal Democrats.  It's certainly possible.  Another explanation I've heard, which I find quite plausible, is that it heavily depends on your field.  I think we can all agree that certain college majors lean more liberal (PoliSci, Education, other liberal arts, etc.) and others lean more conservative (finance, accounting, engineering, etc.) ... You practically need to go to grad school for the first three I mentioned (the liberal ones) and really don't at all for the next three (the conservative ones).  I'd very much challenge someone to come up with a critique of my assertion, because I would say that more liberal-minded majors need a post-graduate degree a HECK of a lot more than more conservative-minded majors.

The bottom line is you can find stats to make the other side look bad pretty easily.  For example, if I wanted to challenge your strange and misplaced superiority complex about being a Democrat, I could toss out these numbers from the 2014 exit polls:

High school dropouts: 54% Democrat, 44% Republican
College graduates: 54% Republican, 44% Democrat
White college graduates: 57% Republican, 41% Democrat

Under $30k: 59% Democrat, 39% Republican
$30k to $50k: 51% Democrat, 41% Republican
$50k to $100k: 55% Republican, 44% Democrat
$100k to $200k: 57% Republican, 41% Democrat
Above $200k: 57% Republican, 42% Democrat

I could use this trend to stroke my own ego and make generalizations about all Democrats, but I'm not a massive tool.  Here's a link in case you're distrustful of stats provided by an incompetent Republican:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/2014/US/house/exitpoll
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 05:10:06 PM »

Stop trolling. In no democratic political system in the world are there parties that monopolize the votes of people who are 'smart' or 'dumb'. Maybe (and I don't know if this is the case, but it would make sense to me) people who "can't understand complex issues" are more likely to be apathetic, but it doesn't make them likelier to support one side or the other.

Anyway, in terms of your claim that Republicans are largely motivated by social issues, there are plenty of people on this very forum who disprove your claim (I think I've noted many times that I am pro-choice, pro-gay rights, secular, and still manage to be a Republican by virtue of my opinions on foreign affairs and economics).
bobloblaw
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 05:33:17 PM »

I'd always thought Colorado was a mostly blue state. So the results of 2014 boggle the mind: Mark Udall losing to a guy who wants to ban condoms, both the state House and Senate going to the Republicans, the fact that Hick was re-elected was surprising, and Hillary's losing to every single potential Republican candidate in Colorado. This was a state that voted for Obama twice!

Gardner doesnt want to ban condoms. Maybe that is why youre shocked CO went GOP. You believe your own propaganda

Well you havent been paying attention for very long. CO went for the losing GOP ticket in 1976 and 1996.

The changes in CO have been in the DEN suburbs. Arapahoe went for Ronald Reagan in 1980 and 84 with 70% of the vote. Obama carried it in 2008 and 2012.
bobloblaw
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 05:34:59 PM »

You might want to get out of Ann Arbor once and a while and into the real world
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 06:55:24 PM »

I'd say that for the time being it's still close to a pure swing state. Weather it goes for a Dem or Rep depends on the individual candidate.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 07:22:21 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2015, 07:24:13 PM by Mr. Illini »

If you always thought of it as a blue state, you were just wrong.  So, let's stop there.

It's disturbing how many of you teenagers and college kids equate liberal with "cool," LOL.  If you want to think that way, fine; I can't stop you, and I have no interest in doing so.  However, there are several rich, entertaining and scenic places that vote Republican every once in a while, and it's frankly hilarious that so many of you think of Democrats as strictly enlightened urbanites and Republicans as backwards rural folk.  Ignorance is bliss, though!

I guess that's why Republicans have historically done better in suburbs, usually win the college-educated vote (though they do lose the post-grad vote) and ROUTINELY win the richest income brackets comfortably?  LOL, your simplistic generalizations kind of explain why you're such a sh*tty poster, though.

One can be wealthy and be an ignorant confederate degenerate. Just look at those duck morons.

That said, Wolverine is obviously wrong for generalizing.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 08:01:47 PM »

One can be wealthy and be an ignorant confederate degenerate. Just look at those duck morons.

That said, Wolverine is obviously wrong for generalizing.

Fair enough.  Just saying the term "Republicans" doesn't simply encompass crazy fundamentalists from the country, haha.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 10:21:13 PM »

I won't lie, my only job will be to say and do whatever it takes to get elected, to a point that is. I'd never sell my soul and change parties though...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 12:39:17 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2015, 01:03:23 AM by smoltchanov »

More idiocy, I am PH.D and have high IQ acoording to all tests. And i am not a "loonie moonbat", even more - i hate such moonbats almost as strongly as i hate tea-party right-wingers. Essentially they are the same: with opposite "sign". Both, for example, share your absolute intolerance of other views and absolute confidence that they are always right. Both are  (usually) so straightforward and singleminded in their judgements that one can only laugh at them. Both are attracted to simplistic nonworking "solutions" for all problems. And so on. And i must join in one practical advice you were given: get out of Ann Arbor and get real!! Life is much more complex then your idiotic stereotypes suggest.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 03:04:02 AM »

Then why do people who dropped out of high school go Democrat in nearly all polls? Do you know anything about exit polling?
Well, actually in 2014 exit polling showed that 49% of people voting had not graduated college, further more 53% of those people voted Republican, versus 45% voting Democrat. I don't know about high school dropouts, but 80% of voters attended college but only 51% of voters graduated. And non attendees, attendees, and graduates all of the majority of them, voted Republican.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies