OH-Quinnipiac: Portman trailing Strickland, crushing Sittenfeld
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:50:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 Senatorial Election Polls
  OH-Quinnipiac: Portman trailing Strickland, crushing Sittenfeld
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: OH-Quinnipiac: Portman trailing Strickland, crushing Sittenfeld  (Read 6489 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2015, 07:21:11 AM »

Portman (R)..... 39%
Strickland (D).... 48%

Portman (R)... 47%
Sittenfeld (D).... 24%

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2183

Something tells me that their PA and OH numbers are fishy.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 07:38:47 AM »

Those numbers are really shocking. I wouldn't have expected Portman to be down so badly.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:20:57 AM »

Sittenfield, I don't know why you are running, but plse leave the race.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 09:25:05 AM »

#Ready4Strickland!
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 10:15:12 AM »

Dominating.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 10:16:43 AM »

The Wave...
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 10:19:52 AM »

Yeah I'm gonna call bs on this one, even Sittenfield can't be down that much and even Strickland shouldn't be up that much.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 10:23:33 AM »

Yeah I'm gonna call bs on this one, even Sittenfield can't be down that much and even Strickland shouldn't be up that much.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 10:36:58 AM »

Sorry but this is not realistic at all.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 10:45:10 AM »

Doesn't Quinnipiac have an outrageous actual margin of error on most polls?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 11:13:45 AM »

Quinnipiac's numbers aren't adding up. They seem to think that OH is as Democratic leaning as NM, and PA is as Republican leaning as AZ. I'll buy that Portman's vulnerable, but even in a Democratic wave, he wouldn't lose by 9 points.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 01:50:43 PM »

Portman and Strickland are probably roughly tied right now, so a poll showing Strickland up by a few points isn't too far out of reality, but Strickland's not up 9 points. He's just not.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 01:54:51 PM »

Actually Sittenfield is probably down by more, Strickland probably leads by 4-5% right now.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 01:59:40 PM »

Portman's biggest weakness is that he's kept a very low profile for the most part, and as a result is not very well-known in his own state. It will allow Strickland to define Portman if Portman doesn't do a good enough job of re-introducing himself to Ohio. Richard Burr is similar.

That being said, I doubt Strickland is up by 10.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 02:01:29 PM »

Name Recognition. I completely understand Portman being down, but Strickland will not keep it up.

Also LOL @ the portman v. sittenfeld margin (though that is also a name recognition issue that would be widdled down if Sittenfeld was the nominee)
bobloblaw
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 02:25:25 PM »

Those numbers are really shocking. I wouldn't have expected Portman to be down so badly.

it is a garbage poll. Just like Toomey up 13 is garbage
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 02:37:59 PM »

There's no way Strickland's leading by that much, and if he is it won't last. Ohioans don't remember the negative political drama and recession from 5 years ago - they remember Strickland as this folksy, nice, "common guy" type of candidate. Strickland's approval was in the toilet in 2010 and that's after a barrage of ads by Kasich that managed to convince voters Strickland was responsible for the +400,000 jobs lost, the credit downgrades, the budget deficit etc. Portman's going to do the same thing again only he'll have a lot more cash to spend than Kasich did. Just keep that in mind.

Plus FWIW, Portman's favorable ratings while they are lower than Strickland's, are going up faster than his unfavorable's.

I'm kind of curious though why they didn't poll the regions. Because with a sizable gap between Portman/P.G. and Portman/Strickland here, I could only imagine they oversampled Appalachia.

Overall, Strickland (or Sittenfeld if he magically became nominee) will lose to Portman. Dude has set himself up to be re-elected and will outperform whoever the Presidential nominee is. Strickland's faults  are in his inability to appeal to big city voters and he has a horrible retread of baggage while Sittenfeld can't make up for his name ID in time before Portman would define him.

It's just a question of whether we should run and lose with an old guy who has no future or a young, rising star who definitely has a bright future ahead of him and as his 90% of nobody knowing who he is shows, would help him out immensely with this statewide run.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 02:40:42 PM »

Well, at least Quinnipiac is equal opportunity for skewed samples.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 04:16:41 PM »

There's no way Strickland's leading by that much, and if he is it won't last. Ohioans don't remember the negative political drama and recession from 5 years ago - they remember Strickland as this folksy, nice, "common guy" type of candidate. Strickland's approval was in the toilet in 2010 and that's after a barrage of ads by Kasich that managed to convince voters Strickland was responsible for the +400,000 jobs lost, the credit downgrades, the budget deficit etc. Portman's going to do the same thing again only he'll have a lot more cash to spend than Kasich did. Just keep that in mind.

Plus FWIW, Portman's favorable ratings while they are lower than Strickland's, are going up faster than his unfavorable's.

I'm kind of curious though why they didn't poll the regions. Because with a sizable gap between Portman/P.G. and Portman/Strickland here, I could only imagine they oversampled Appalachia.

Overall, Strickland (or Sittenfeld if he magically became nominee) will lose to Portman. Dude has set himself up to be re-elected and will outperform whoever the Presidential nominee is. Strickland's faults  are in his inability to appeal to big city voters and he has a horrible retread of baggage while Sittenfeld can't make up for his name ID in time before Portman would define him.

It's just a question of whether we should run and lose with an old guy who has no future or a young, rising star who definitely has a bright future ahead of him and as his 90% of nobody knowing who he is shows, would help him out immensely with this statewide run.

You're just mad Sittenfield is gonna get his ass handed to him in the primary Tongue
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 04:29:05 PM »

Quinnipiac's numbers aren't adding up. They seem to think that OH is as Democratic leaning as NM, and PA is as Republican leaning as AZ. I'll buy that Portman's vulnerable, but even in a Democratic wave, he wouldn't lose by 9 points.

I'm not a big optimistic, but I disagree. The evidence from Ohio is that in a wave, basically ok incumbents can lose by big numbers.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 05:03:41 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2015, 05:05:13 PM by OC »

Not only that, Kasich was the only statewide official that was able to break the hammerlock Dems have had on statewide, not local elections. Minus 2010 in which Lee Fisher fizzled. Vonovich, DeWine and Josh Mandal all who ran for Senate, but no longer in office anymore, this will go Dem in 2016, like in 2012 and 2006.

Me thinks, Dems win Pa, OH, WI and IL. Public policy polling will have better news for Dems in Pa.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 05:24:51 PM »

Not only that, Kasich was the only statewide official that was able to break the hammerlock Dems have had on statewide, not local elections. Minus 2010 in which Lee Fisher fizzled. Vonovich, DeWine and Josh Mandal all who ran for Senate, but no longer in office anymore, this will go Dem in 2016, like in 2012 and 2006.

Me thinks, Dems win Pa, OH, WI and IL. Public policy polling will have better news for Dems in Pa.

PPP has already polled PA and found Toomey ahead, just like everyone else. The race is toss-up at best for the dems, and might even be Lean R.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 05:35:28 PM »

PPP has already polled PA and found Toomey ahead, just like everyone else. The race is toss-up at best for the dems, and might even be Lean R.

N O that is wrong. Keep in mind that convention  +  hilary coattails could ouste tomey. if anything this race is lean D E M not G O P.

Trying to be an OC clone will only encourage him more, so I'd advise against it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 05:48:01 PM »

Well the last PPP favored Sestak. Cmon Indy, even lackluster candidates Gore and Kerry lost the presidency and won Pa convincingly.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 05:56:51 PM »

Well Clinton is running ahead in Pa, and they certainly wont win without it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies