2012 White Obama Lovers Map by County Project: COMPLETE! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:02:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2012 White Obama Lovers Map by County Project: COMPLETE! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2012 White Obama Lovers Map by County Project: COMPLETE!  (Read 51867 times)
dpmapper
« on: April 05, 2015, 07:14:32 AM »

Why are DeKalb County whites so liberal?  Or maybe the methodology used to estimate the white Obama % gets a little wonky in counties that are demographic outliers? 
dpmapper
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »

Why are DeKalb County whites so liberal?  Or maybe the methodology used to estimate the white Obama % gets a little wonky in counties that are demographic outliers? 

It's a downtown with a substantial non-Southern population.  That's not particularly surprising to me.   It would be interesting to see if Obama won white voters in Orleans Parish, Mecklenburg, NC or Davidson, TN (probably the least likely).

Fulton County is the downtown, no?  I guess my question is more, why would DeKalb whites be more liberal than Fulton County whites? 
dpmapper
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 09:11:40 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2015, 09:13:14 PM by dpmapper »

Loving the map - keep up the great work!

Are you assuming that Hispanics and Asians have the same voting patterns across counties?  It would definitely be hard to model, but I would suspect that non-white, non-black voters in Dem counties are significantly more liberal than those in (relatively) conservative counties.  (Consider an Asian voter in Charlottesville vs Asian voter in Loudoun, for instance.)  Not sure how much of an impact that would have on the numbers, though. 
dpmapper
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:25:25 AM »

Loving the map.  Modest suggestion - maybe the state borders could be thickened slightly?  It's getting a little difficult to pick them out, now that there are a lot of curvy ones.   
dpmapper
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 06:42:34 AM »

Richmond city and Richmond county in Virginia have their percentages reversed, it seems. 
dpmapper
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 09:46:18 AM »

Also, I'm playing around with new color schemes for the "Who Won the White Vote?" map. This is one I'm digging at the moment:

.48 - .60 seems like a very broad range for a single shade.  Maybe split it up? 

I'd also make the lightest blue and red shades lighter - there should be less of a visual contrast between them while at the same time keeping it clear which is red and which is blue. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies