Reintroducing the Cabinet Reform Amendment (Final vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:13:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Reintroducing the Cabinet Reform Amendment (Final vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Reintroducing the Cabinet Reform Amendment (Final vote)  (Read 4672 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2015, 05:08:08 PM »
« edited: May 18, 2015, 12:41:31 PM by Mideast Senator and Senate speaker windjammer »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Article V, Section 1 of the Constitution is hereby amended to read:

Article VIII, Section 2 of the Constitution is hereby amended to read:

[/quote]
Sponsor: Windjammer
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:28:07 AM »

This is the version we agreed on at the end of last bill's debate? I guess that was the bill that failed because of too few people showing up to vote?

Anyway, because I like the current names more, here will be a swift amendment (self-explainatory, I would assume):

Sponsor: Windjammer
[/quote]
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:20:35 AM »

Why do cabinet positions need to be entrenched in the constitution?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 11:14:35 AM »

I still oppose this, for the reasons I did last time the Senate tried to pass this.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 02:36:53 PM »

I supported it the last time and I'm ready to support it again.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 04:00:09 PM »

Senators have 36 hours to object to Cranberry's amendment.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »

I support this amendment. I'm a traditionnalist too. Tongue
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »

Why do cabinet positions need to be entrenched in the constitution?

I agree. This creates far less flexibility for the executive branch and just causes a headache when you're paralyzed in terms of changing anything about it because it is embedded into the constitution.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 02:57:36 AM »

But it is already in the constitution, this just puts it all together in one place and restructures it so that it's easier to read... If your point is that it would make it more different to amend than I can't see this point, as it's already in the constitution, just at another place...
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »

Can I just make a suggestion?

Pass an amendment that repeals all mentions of the Cabinet in the Constituion and replace it with a section saying that executive departments can be created by law and their primary officeholder serves with the advice and consent of the senate. 

Also include a grandfather clause to make sure the entire cabinet isn't dismissed at the adoption of the amendment. Tongue

It's ludocrois to have to amend the Constituon every time we want to change the executive departments.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 06:36:14 PM »

Can I just make a suggestion?

Pass an amendment that repeals all mentions of the Cabinet in the Constituion and replace it with a section saying that executive departments can be created by law and their primary officeholder serves with the advice and consent of the senate. 

Also include a grandfather clause to make sure the entire cabinet isn't dismissed at the adoption of the amendment. Tongue

It's ludocrois to have to amend the Constituon every time we want to change the executive departments.

I would be up for this.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 06:24:47 AM »

This would be something I supported as well, yes. Would you care to provide an amendment on what you had in mind?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 06:27:46 AM »

Yeah we need to have it confirmed that the Senate has advise and consent powers, because that's probably the most important thing when looking at the Cabinet
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 12:36:50 PM »

Is the further emasculation of the Presidency and a further transfer of power to the Senate really necessary?

On a rather more minor note, I'd like to add that Principle Officer implies a civil service post rather than a political one. This is clearly not appropriate for Interior, State or Justice.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 04:53:35 AM »

Oh yes, it is very much necessary that the Senate has a say in who will shape the game in a fundamental way, call that emasculation if you will.
I am the last to oppose a parliamentary system, and I have made that position of mine clear in my time here; and I do know that I am not the only Senator that feels that way.

What other appellation would you propose in stead of Principle Officer?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 07:43:01 AM »

I think that Barnes had something like this in mind.
This is not an amendment, it's only an imput to the debate (at least for now).

[/quote]
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 09:56:52 AM »

Oh yes, it is very much necessary that the Senate has a say in who will shape the game in a fundamental way, call that emasculation if you will.

But the Senate is already the most powerful elected institution in the game, and by some margin. And the Senate already has a say in the appointment of the cabinet: it even has the power (if it so chooses) to reject nominees on blatantly partisan grounds or even (and this has happened) due to personal grudges. Perhaps the administration should propose some oversight of that? Except that it would be total waste of time as it would never pass the Senate. You see the point?

Naturally.

Cabinet Minister or Cabinet Member or something similar would be fine. Although a case may exist for hiving off Forum Affairs from the cabinet and turning it officially into the civil service posting that it already is in practice.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 03:34:44 PM »

I'm confused with Al's objections. The Senate already retains the power to confirm or reject nominees. This amendment would not alter that in any way to the detriment of the president. The Senate also already has the power to reorganize cabinet positions - all my proposal would do in practical terms would be to remove the laborious process of amending the Constituion every time one wants to change a cabinet position.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 05:39:37 AM »

But the Senate is already the most powerful elected institution in the game, and by some margin. And the Senate already has a say in the appointment of the cabinet: it even has the power (if it so chooses) to reject nominees on blatantly partisan grounds or even (and this has happened) due to personal grudges. Perhaps the administration should propose some oversight of that? Except that it would be total waste of time as it would never pass the Senate. You see the point?

I see your point yes, but I guess we must fundamentally disagree here. Yes, the Senate has all those powers - why should it not? Personal grudges are rare enough to fail a confirmation, and even if six people should hold them there either must be a valid reason for that or it is probably not the wisest for a member of the game that seems not to be so liked, to phrase this neutrally, to hold greater office, as it is natural that more members of the game might not be too fond of him. To illustrate this, might I present the example of Mr. Hifly this recent October - he would have eventually become President without Senate oversight of the process!
I guess so, this simply seems to be a point where we hold different opinions. Oh so well then.

Cabinet Minister or Cabinet Member or something similar would be fine. Although a case may exist for hiving off Forum Affairs from the cabinet and turning it officially into the civil service posting that it already is in practice.
[/quote]

Cabinet Minister seems good to me, you're right that such would make more sense for political offices.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 11:16:12 AM »

The problem with the not-yet-an amendment as currently phrased is there is nothing to define Principal Officers, which could lead to countless lawsuits over what exactly is and isn't a principal office.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 01:16:17 PM »

The problem with the not-yet-an amendment as currently phrased is there is nothing to define Principal Officers, which could lead to countless lawsuits over what exactly is and isn't a principal office.

Hence why I believe defining exactly a position, name it Minister or Secretary or whatever you like, would be the wise thing to do here. I guess if we include a clause that all those departments, created by legislative action, will have a Minister/Secretary/Great Guru leading them, appointed by the president with consent of the Senate, should suffice?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »

Hence why I believe defining exactly a position, name it Minister or Secretary or whatever you like, would be the wise thing to do here. I guess if we include a clause that all those departments, created by legislative action, will have a Minister/Secretary/Great Guru leading them, appointed by the president with consent of the Senate, should suffice?

I would be fine with that.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 07:15:21 AM »

If I may then, I would present the following amendment:

Quote from: Restricted

[/quote]
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 11:17:20 AM »

Senators,
You have 36 hours to object.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 11:41:12 AM »

Why use "ministers" when most of our cabinet heads are secretaries?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies