Elections since 1896 when Democrat was more conservative then Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:14:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Elections since 1896 when Democrat was more conservative then Republican
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Elections since 1896 when Democrat was more conservative then Republican  (Read 2642 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2015, 11:37:19 PM »

Teddy Roosevelt was SO clearly the most conservative option in the 1912 election that it's not even funny.  Calling yourself a "progressive" does not mean the same thing in 1912 that it does in 2015...

Robert Taft was more conservative.

In 1912 most liberal to least

1. Woodrow Wilson
2. Teddy Roosevelt
3. Robert Taft

President Taft broke up more monopolies than Roosevelt who took a middle of the road "some trusts are good for business and government , some are bad" approach. Roosevelt even criticized Taft for the amount of trusts he went after. Taft also worked to pass the 16th amendment.

William Howard Taft believed in a thorough enforcement of the antitrust act, without favoritism to one trust or another.  In principle, Taft was more conservative than Roosevelt because he did not seek an active transformative role in the Presidency like TR, nor did he communicate a broad vision of the expansion of government's role in the economy and society anything like TR did in his 1912 campaign. All of the candidates in 1912 could be called progressives of one variety or another, but Taft's was more measured, and he had for his time a relatively conservative view of the Constitution and the political order.
NerdyBohemian
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 09:19:17 AM »

The idea that the parties "switched places" is one of the most irksome ideas to me. The reality is much more complicated and you need to know the historical contexts of the eras in question. I think this simplistic idea comes from the guilt modern Democrats feel knowing that our party once had a large faction dedicated to preserving slavery and objecting to civil rights.

Sincerely,

A high school history teacher.

You and me both NerdyBohemian.

The ignorance particularly on labor and economic issues is quite telling.  The assumption seems to be that because Cleveland was a "Bourbon Democrat" which historians generally call a "conservative" that the party as a whole was very conservative and the Republicans were liberals and left wingers.  What generally gets missed is that Cleveland was a Democrat elected in an era of Republican dominance in the White House and was able to get as much success as he did because he had a wide appeal to *shocker* Republican voters who were both pro-gold and in favor of reform politics.  He was Bill Clinton, not Ronald Reagan.

Compare and contrast that with the agrarian radicals, silverite westerners, labor radicals, Georgists, Fenian Nationalists, and other assorted very liberal elements of the Democratic coalition.  No way in flip you could describe a lot of these people as "conservative", particularly for the times.

Teddy Roosevelt seems like a "liberal" until you actually read up on the times and what the opposition was selling by that point.  As it is, even Alton Parker was arguing in favor of an eight hour work day.

Relevant article:

http://www.city-journal.org/story.php?id=1464

Roosevelt seems very liberal until you consider that his rhetoric about cooperation between business and labor in 1904 was being pushed for by "old fashioned Jackson Democrats" in the 1880s.  Also, even Thomas Jefferson supported anti-monopoly legislation.  So yeah, I guess supporting something a Democratic Republican supported in 1797 suddenly makes him an amazing liberal Republican.. . .  .  sheesh.

The Cleaveland/Clinton comparison is a terrific analogy that I will use in my higher classes.

I always stress that the Republicans started off as a single issue party made up of different factions very early in their history. As they became a national party their platform began to be defined by pro-business policies and "big government" corporate welfare, a standard currency issued by a national bank, tariffs (which hurt rural farmers, but helped American manufacturing), public education (to have workers who knew how to read, write etc and able to supervise) etc

Meanwhile the Democrats were fixated on this antiquated idea that the country should remain agrarian, and the states should keep to themselves since there's no reason to have such a large government overreach which favored the wealthy and hurt farmers.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies