Worst-run presidential campaign (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:07:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Worst-run presidential campaign (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Worst-run presidential campaign  (Read 5557 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: March 28, 2015, 10:50:34 PM »

Dole 1996 seems to be a contender, given that his opponent hardly had a campaign to begin with and he STILL lost.  And badly at that.

While the Duke was a bad campaigner, at least he has the excuse that HW Bush had run a pretty nasty and downright dirty attack campaign against him.  You can't say the same of Bill TEN MILLION NEW JOBS Clinton.

Though my all time answer to this question is probably Dewey '48.  I mean damn he blew it.  Big time.  I mean I am pretty sure that Truman was less popular than polio at one point in 1948 and (probably based off of past experience in '44) Dewey's playing it safe was just dumb beyond measure especially considering that Truman should've been bleeding off votes left and right simply due to the State's Rights and Progressive tickets running that year.

My two cents.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 12:57:14 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2015, 04:54:36 AM by Stone Cold Conservative »

Most inept campaign--McGovern in 1972.  He wasn't going to win, but he could have made it a 45-55 race.  The electoral vote wouldn't have changed very much--probably picking up a few states in the Midwest--but I think the blowouts he suffered in the South would have been less severe.  

The Eagleton affair, his losing the AFL/CIO endorsement (and therefore big labor support), and overreliance on a youth vote (which he lost anyway) hurt McGovern (but not necessarily the Democrats) that year.  Looks like the party had written off McGovern very early to hold Congress (which they did).

I know that the biggest surprise is that Truman won in 1948, but I don't think that Dewey ran a bad race.  It's more that Truman ran a great campaign (not only against Dewey but against the 80th Congress) and he was able to minimize the damage from the Progressives and Dixiecrats.

Fair enough point.  It's hard to run a bad race when you aren't running any.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 05:29:26 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2015, 05:42:32 AM by Stone Cold Conservative »

On the whole "Anglo-Saxon heritage" controversy:

No, it was a bit more than Romney's advisors just stating that the US shared Anglo-Saxon heritage with Great Britain.  Virtually every credible mainstream historian in the United States would agree with that sort of statement.  The Obama Campaign, as low as I found their tactics throughout the general election, were not completely baseless in pouncing on Romney for some of the statements made in the UK:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Given that it was a presidential election Team Obama could've written a book on this one quote passage alone.  It really falls into the "anti-colonialist Kenyan" trope that conservatives were using on and off during Obama's first term.

And really, that was what the huge issue people had with Romney: he and his team seemed to think of every moment of the campaign as a good time to attack the president.  Did not matter if it was the Olympics, if it was the attack on the consulate in Benghazi, Hurricane Sandy, the weather outside, how good the Cowboys will do this year, etc etc etc..  He might have ran an aggressive campaign (nothing really wrong with that) but he seemed to go as far if not further to attack Obama as Obama did him.  A book could (and probably should) be written about the negativity of that election.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies