Cardin makes the leap, announces U.S. Senate bid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:40:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cardin makes the leap, announces U.S. Senate bid
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cardin makes the leap, announces U.S. Senate bid  (Read 2991 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2005, 01:33:27 PM »

From the Baltimore Sun

Benjamin L. Cardin, the studious congressman from Baltimore County who has spent his political career mastering fiscal issues such as Medicare reform, announced yesterday that he is running for the U.S. Senate.

"I stand here today because I've gotten real results," he said. "I stand here today because experience does count."

Elected to the Maryland General Assembly at age 23 on the strength of his family's financial support and well-known name among Baltimore's Jewish community, Cardin quickly earned the respect of his colleagues for his intellect and temperament. He was named chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee before he was 30 and later served as House speaker.

"His academic brilliance, his law-making experience, his comprehensive vision and his flawless character will make him an outstanding United States senator," said former Maryland House Speaker Casper R. Taylor Jr. of Cumberland, who was in Frederick yesterday.

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 02:30:01 PM »

Cardin 06!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 02:31:31 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and guess he's a Democrat, since this article makes it sound like he has an actual chance of winning.
danwxman

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 02:40:03 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and guess he's a Democrat, since this article makes it sound like he has an actual chance of winning.

Plus, he's Jewish.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 02:55:43 PM »

Ben Cardin for MD senate06!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 03:41:40 PM »

Any poll data on this race? I am assuming it is pretty solidly Democratic.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 03:44:18 PM »

Steele vs Mfume

Steele  41%
Mfume  43%
Undecided/Not sure  15%

Steele vs Van Hollen

Steele  41%
Van Hollen  37%
Undecided/Not sure  22%

Steele vs Cardin

Steele  37%
Cardin  41%
Undecided/Not sure  21%

Democratic Primary

Cardin  26%
Mfume  32%
Van Hollen  16%
Undecided/Not sure  24%

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 03:45:16 PM »

Kind of early for polling, really.  Cardin and Van Hollen aren't very well known outside their congressional districts, so Mfume would naturally lead the polls at this point.    All the matchups against Michael Steele were pretty close, but again, Steele has much higher recognition than the Dems.
kgt107
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 04:05:23 PM »

Steele '06!
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 05:14:41 PM »

If the Democrats were smart, Van Hollen would pass on the race.  Two Congressmen would split each other's votes and give the primary to Mfume who Steele could probably defeat in a close election.  Wonder if Chairmen Dean and Schumer have been in contact with Van Hollen?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 05:18:20 PM »

If the Democrats were smart, Van Hollen would pass on the race.  Two Congressmen would split each other's votes and give the primary to Mfume who Steele could probably defeat in a close election.  Wonder if Chairmen Dean and Schumer have been in contact with Van Hollen?

Van Hollen is my only worry.  He's raised some BIG bucks in the past couple months.  More than any of the potential candidates, actually.  The money may go straight to his head leading him to jump into this race.  That means a Mfume vs Someone (R) in the general election, and I am not prepared for that rollercoaster ride.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 05:21:21 PM »

Yeah, if I was an MD Dem I would be a little nervous about that prospect as well.  I am not saying R vs Mufume would be a Republican pick up, but it would be a close election in a state where the Dems should be able to hold the seat fairly easily.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 05:22:36 PM »

Yeah, if I was an MD Dem I would be a little nervous about that prospect as well.  I am not saying R vs Mufume would be a Republican pick up, but it would be a close election in a state where the Dems should be able to hold the seat fairly easily.

Correct.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 05:30:19 PM »

I hope Van Hollen doesn't think because he raised alot of money, he can run and very well give up a seat in the senate that could instede of having a liberal senator, would be a conservitive (Steele).  Mufme is to big a risk.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 05:33:07 PM »

Is it just me or is Steele waiting to see what Van Hollen decides to make his decision?  He might like his chances of facing off with Mfume if both Cardin and Van Hollen are in the race.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 05:35:03 PM »

Is it just me or is Steele waiting to see what Van Hollen decides to make his decision?  He might like his chances of facing off with Mfume if both Cardin and Van Hollen are in the race.

Steele is playing his cards perfect.  If Cardin decided not to run, Steele would have announced soon after.  Now that Cardin has decided to run, Steel is waiting to see what Van Hollen does.  Hell he may wait a couple months to get a feel for who is going to win the primary and then announce his intentions.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 05:48:36 PM »

I agree with nicksepdem, Steele is taking his time.  That is a wise move.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies