what are some areas that vote for the same party as they did decades ago
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:53:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  what are some areas that vote for the same party as they did decades ago
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: what are some areas that vote for the same party as they did decades ago  (Read 4631 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2015, 03:05:58 PM »

but for different reasons? Somewhere like Shelby County, TN is somewhere that comes to mind for the democrats. Not sure for the republicans.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:54:36 PM »

Most majority-black deep south counties work, obvs.

Seattle and some parts of rural New England have gone from industrial to hipsterish.

I think Yadkin County NC works--it's gone from a sort of unionist GOP tradition to a more exurban type culture.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »

Most of the plains have been voting GOP for a very long time.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:35:34 PM »

East Tennessee. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 05:36:22 PM »

Maryland still remains true to its Democratic heritage -for the most part. 
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 05:48:16 PM »

NYC has voted Democratic in almost every Presidential election going back to Andrew Jackson, I believe.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 05:49:17 PM »

NYC has voted Democratic in almost every Presidential election going back to Andrew Jackson, I believe.

No. McKinley, Harding and Coolidge each won the city.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:50:28 PM »

That's why I said almost.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 05:51:46 PM »

That's why I said almost.

Ah, didn't see that. Well, at least everyone knows now.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 05:55:05 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2015, 06:07:54 PM by Governor TDAS04 »

Zachary Taylor was the other non-Democrat to carry NYC.  
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 09:31:49 PM »

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 11:04:57 PM »

Guys, at least in some cases you forget about clause "for different reasons".... There are lots of areas that vote for the same party as they did for decades and even centuries, but in many cases the reasons are, essentially, unchanged.. It's not them that we talk about here. Black-majority districts in the South belong here - in the past they (their whites) voted Democratic because they (whites) hated blacks and party that freed them, and now - because it's blacks vote overwhelmingly for party of civil rights...
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 10:12:29 PM »

Yeah the rural Great Plains states and Kansas is pretty much for the same reasons. I wonder if the unionist pockets of the south (Winston County Al, East Tennessee) would be considered different reasons? In the past it's because they had a tradition of voting Republican since the reconstruction era but now as that heritage has died off it's just because they're culturally and politically identical to the rest of the white south.
mianfei
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »

Yeah the rural Great Plains states and Kansas is pretty much for the same reasons. I wonder if the unionist pockets of the south (Winston County AL, East Tennessee) would be considered different reasons? In the past it's because they had a tradition of voting Republican since the reconstruction era but now as that heritage has died off it's just because they're culturally and politically identical to the rest of the white south.
I would agree with that very much. Here’s a map of never-Democratic and once-Democratic counties (since the Civil War):

Most of these originally voted Republican because they could not forgive the Democratic Party for the Civil War (which they were not prepared to fight as they had no tolerance for fighting a rich planter’s war), whereas now they cannot accept the social liberalism – homosexual rights, birth control, land zoning, welfarism, high taxes to support urban populations at greater employment risk – which the Democratic Party has had to embrace to gain voters who otherwise would not vote.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 09:19:09 AM »

The list changes significantly if you MUST include "for different reasons."  A good example the OP gave was Shelby County, TN, which went from Solid South White Democratic (for the most part) to urban enclave with a strong minority vote for the Democrats.  However, the reasons for Kansas' Republicanism aren't that different from back during the Civil War, once you obviously account for certain issues (Unionism, slavery, etc.) not existing anymore.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 09:59:05 AM »

Maryland maybe?  Its votes for Breckinridge and Obama were for different reasons, obviously.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 12:19:06 PM »

West Michigan--Allegan, Kent, Ottawa Counties. Also Sanilac County, MI in the "thumb". (GOP)

Boston, MA has been Democratic since (and including) 1928.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 12:22:01 PM »

The Non-Pacific West(ND, SD, KS, NE, WY, ID, MT, UT, and AZ) comes to mind, as does Virginia.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »

Hendricks and Hamilton counties in Indiana. Wealthy educated GOP voters, the base for Mitch Daniels back in the day.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 07:57:28 PM »

For the last 100 years, in Missouri, Joplin/Jasper County.
In Congressional Quarterly's Politics In America, it has often been said that when Woodrow Wilson lowered tariffs on the importation of zinc (an important commodity mined in the Joplin area), the voters in the area gravitated to the GOP and have stayed there ever since.

Dozens of counties in Eastern Tennessee have been rock-ribbed Republican since the Civil War. Two congressional districts in that area have never elected a Democrat to the U.S. House in all these years and consistently vote Republican for President. They only stray to a Democrat like Al Gore when he was winning a landslide re-election to the Senate in 1990. (This is plain in mianfei's map above.)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 09:18:45 PM »

I think the Borough of Manhattan has been reliably Democratic though.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 09:48:10 PM »

I've always wondered why Eastern Tennessee has been so heavily Republican even during the Solid South days. Carpetbaggers perhaps?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 08:22:42 AM »

I've always wondered why Eastern Tennessee has been so heavily Republican even during the Solid South days. Carpetbaggers perhaps?

Hillbillies are not plantation slaveholders.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »

I think it goes beyond this, as plenty of hillbillies in the Deeper South were convinced that their economic well-being depended on a thriving South (and therefore thriving slave power).  That argument didn't work in places like Northern Alabama, Eastern Tennessee, etc., as their economies weren't tied to slavery, and they (rightfully) felt totally betrayed by their states choosing to go to war with their country for the slave power's interests.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 12:10:50 PM »

I think it goes beyond this, as plenty of hillbillies in the Deeper South were convinced that their economic well-being depended on a thriving South (and therefore thriving slave power).  That argument didn't work in places like Northern Alabama, Eastern Tennessee, etc., as their economies weren't tied to slavery, and they (rightfully) felt totally betrayed by their states choosing to go to war with their country for the slave power's interests.

Hillbillies =/= poor Southern Whites.  There's a unique set of cultural, linguistic, religious and ethnic factors that differentiate Hillbillies from Deep South Whites.  These differences are the basis of the Upper South/Deep South division widely accepted by American geographers.  For example, most true Hillbillies are probably of Scots-Irish or northern English descent whereas most of your Deep South planters were from southern England or France. 

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies