LOLGreece - Part 1268
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:19:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  LOLGreece - Part 1268
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: LOLGreece - Part 1268  (Read 4654 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 10:09:07 AM »

Bacon King is, by himself, a more credible source than any German newspaper on issues regarding Greece.

Purple heart

No, that's not how an argument works. The burden of proof is on someone who contests the validity of what is the prevailing viewpoint, not on the person presenting the mainstream view.

When one "questions" something, they are the ones who have to disprove it, because the implication is that whatever is being questioned is already assumed to be true.

This is a weird rule to follow because every side in a debate should be required to back up their argument with facts if requested/contested and you shouldn't get a free pass for claiming to be speaking for conventional wisdom

some sources for my previous post:

Greek-Swiss Treaty: Athens Closes in on Wealthy Tax Evaders (Spiegel, August 2012)
Greek-Swiss tax deal remains elusive (Reuters, Feb 2014)

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 08:17:21 PM »

Well, if I went around claiming that the world was flat and abjured any responsibility for proving my claim but merely went around poking holes in arguments for why the world was round, I would be acting unreasonably. It would be the logic of conspiracy theorists- it is enough to claim that something is false to prove the alternative true.

If this is "unverified propaganda", why is it untrue, and what, then, is the truth?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 05:28:45 AM »

Well, if I went around claiming that the world was flat and abjured any responsibility for proving my claim but merely went around poking holes in arguments for why the world was round, I would be acting unreasonably. It would be the logic of conspiracy theorists- it is enough to claim that something is false to prove the alternative true.

If this is "unverified propaganda", why is it untrue, and what, then, is the truth?

That's not a valid comparison. A valid comparison would be if someone accused a guy of, say, cheating without any evidence, and then asked him to come up with evidence proving he did not cheat his wife. That person would probably be tried for libel.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 12:49:49 AM »

That's not a valid comparison. A valid comparison would be if someone accused a guy of, say, cheating without any evidence, and then asked him to come up with evidence proving he did not cheat his wife. That person would probably be tried for libel.

"You are wrong. In actuality, I am right." Perhaps you would fare better if you offered an actual reason for us to believe that your comparison is valid. Argument through persistence is a rather devious way of trying to change the terms of discussion to be more favorable to yourself by just sustaining a point in an effort to convince onlookers.

Also a little pedantry, but though that case would easily be libel in the UK, it would likely never be charged in the US since libel is extremely difficult to prove. Just another reason that I'm glad to be American. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 06:35:35 AM »

The reason why my comparison is better than Simfan's is obvious, and I'm sure even yo get it, disingenuity aside.

And yes, I was obviously referring to countries with sensible libel laws.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 12:48:12 PM »

I don't particularly care about or pay much attention to Greece. I suppose your comparison is better in the sense that nobody sane sustains that the Earth is flat whereas a fair number of people do sustain that Greece is being treated unjustly. The thing is, the people in the latter group are broadly ones whose opinions I place a lower value on. Not an actual argument to be made against Greece (because of course that would be an ad hominem) but just an impression of mine.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 12:54:17 PM »

The discussion here isn't about Greece, but about a specific slander that has been thrown against its government, through a simplifying misrepresentation of complex fiscal negotiations with Switzerland. Which incidentally happens not to be the first instance of this anti-Greece propaganda.

I can't fault you for choosing which people you listen to - we all do that. If you want to actually participate in a debate on this topic, however, this is not a valid argument.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »

What's going on in Greece?
Has austerity ended?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 12:29:34 PM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-20/greece-moves-to-seize-local-government-cash-as-imf-payment-looms

Tsipras to Seize Public-Sector Funds to Keep Greece Afloat
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 12:38:25 PM »

Interesting, I must admit the only feeling I have is curiosity about how Greece end up.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2015, 08:12:06 AM »

Haters gonna hate!

FDR, 1936: "They are unanimous in their hate for me; and I welcome their hatred." A quotation close to my heart (& reality) these days
https://twitter.com/yanisvaroufakis/status/592264336107806720
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2015, 07:20:41 AM »

Interesting, I must admit the only feeling I have is curiosity about how Greece end up.

Frankly I don't really care anymore. I transferred my money abroad.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2015, 07:59:40 AM »

It seems we are headed to some sort of deal between Tsipras and EU which breaks a bunch of Tsipras promises in the election.  Then there will be a referendum where the Greek people can vote on the deal and stay in the Euro (and accept the fact that when you own money you have to pay it back)  or no and they all go down together in the sinking ship.  This way Tsipras can claim he tried to keep his election promises but the Greek people said it is OK to break it.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »

It seems we are headed to some sort of deal between Tsipras and EU which breaks a bunch of Tsipras promises in the election.  Then there will be a referendum where the Greek people can vote on the deal and stay in the Euro (and accept the fact that when you own money you have to pay it back)  or no and they all go down together in the sinking ship.  This way Tsipras can claim he tried to keep his election promises but the Greek people said it is OK to break it.

Honestly I think the Greek economy may be too far gone to be saved by now, and here's the really horrible part, the Drachma is not a real alternative anymore.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »

Honestly I think the Greek economy may be too far gone to be saved by now, and here's the really horrible part, the Drachma is not a real alternative anymore.

That's the only thing certain. You need at least 6 months work to create a new currency. Right now our choice is between a tough deal or a national disaster.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2015, 03:12:57 PM »

That's the only thing certain. You need at least 6 months work to create a new currency. Right now our choice is between a tough deal or a national disaster.

That's really the least problem Greece is going to have. A much bigger problem is that no one, really no one will be willing to accept any Greek currency, if they default. Greece will only be able to buy foreign goods with foreign currencies, which with Greeks pulling their money out of Greece and the negative BOP will make it near impossible for Greece to import foreign goods.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2015, 03:48:48 PM »

Most Greeks Don’t Want Referendum on Deal With Creditors: Poll

1) Govt shouldn’t put any agreement between Greece and its creditors to a referendum, according to 61.9% of respondents in poll by GPO for Mega TV channel, compared with 37% who say it should.
2) 72.2% oppose elections if talks end in deadlock, compared with 26.3% who say there should be new elections
3) 58.3% say they support govt’s strategy, down from 90.3% in Feb. 10 poll; 39.8% oppose strategy, up from 7.4%
4) 78.1% say Greece should reach agreement with creditors, compared with 7.9% favoring a “rupture”
5) Governing Syriza party gets 36.5% in survey of voting intentions if elections were held now, vs 22% for main opposition New Democracy party
6) 50% have positive opinion of Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis, vs 48.2% who have negative opinion

Sounds like the what the poll is saying, especially with the part of the opposition to a referendum, is the Greek people wants it both ways or that Tsipras should use magic to make the EU agree to lenient terms and stay in the Euro.  The Greek population seems not to want to make a choice of harsh conditions within the Euro or a Euro exit when in reality it is not possible.  In other words, the Greek population does not want to "own" the bitter medicine. 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2015, 11:52:35 AM »

That's really the least problem Greece is going to have. A much bigger problem is that no one, really no one will be willing to accept any Greek currency, if they default. Greece will only be able to buy foreign goods with foreign currencies, which with Greeks pulling their money out of Greece and the negative BOP will make it near impossible for Greece to import foreign goods.

Supposedly there was a plan concocted by the government about using IOUs or electronic currency in the interim between exiting the euro and putting into circulation the new drachma. But the whole thing was completely ridiculous and was quickly abandoned as unworkable.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »

Official currency of Greece: Bitcoin?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »

Supposedly there was a plan concocted by the government about using IOUs or electronic currency in the interim between exiting the euro and putting into circulation the new drachma. But the whole thing was completely ridiculous and was quickly abandoned as unworkable.

It's a horrible and unworkable idea, but again the 6 month are not the real problem, the real problem is that other countries will not accept Drachma, when they have been introduced, because of the complete lack of trust in the Greek currency and Greece will also have very hard to borrow from abroad. Just imagine what that will do in the short term to Greek oil import. Greek may in the year after leaving the Euro only be able to buy oil on the black market with Euros.

That alone will make what happening right now even worse, you can imagine what it will do to tourism if Greek barely have access to oil.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2015, 01:34:05 PM »

It's a horrible and unworkable idea, but again the 6 month are not the real problem, the real problem is that other countries will not accept Drachma, when they have been introduced, because of the complete lack of trust in the Greek currency and Greece will also have very hard to borrow from abroad. Just imagine what that will do in the short term to Greek oil import. Greek may in the year after leaving the Euro only be able to buy oil on the black market with Euros.

That alone will make what happening right now even worse, you can imagine what it will do to tourism if Greek barely have access to oil.

Hey, don't tell me that bro, I totally know it. It's some other guys here who believe that being able again to print our own currency will suddenly bring back the good old times of the 80's and 90's.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies