What will be the first presidential election not involving a Baby Boomer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:11:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What will be the first presidential election not involving a Baby Boomer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What will be the first presidential election not involving a Baby Boomer?  (Read 705 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2015, 05:17:07 PM »

2024 maybe?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 06:00:57 PM »

Obama- Gen X'er
Mccain- Silen Generation
Biden- Silent Generation
Palin- Gen X'er
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 06:10:51 PM »

I thought that Obama was still technically part of the later half of the baby boom.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 06:16:35 PM »

Yeah, Obama was born in 1961, Gen Xers start in 1964.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 07:22:45 PM »

I thought that Obama was still technically part of the later half of the baby boom.

According to Howe and Strauss, he is Generation X. I post heavily on a Forum related to generational theory as an aspect of history, and I concur that Barack Obama is no Boomer.
Howe and Strauss cut the line between Boomers born in 1960 and X born in 1961.   His temperament is more like that of either Truman or Eisenhower, acting something like one of the two Presidents of the Lost Generation in their 60s, an "I've been burned" type who distrusts ideology of any extreme. That type is extremely cautious. The underworld-style hit on Osama bin Laden is clearly not Boom. If he must choose a solution out of the Capone playbook because Lincoln and FDR offer no solution, he can learn from Capone without being Capone.

Obama is a pragmatist above all else. He realizes that high-sounding principles can fail either due to their faults, especially being used to mistreat pariahs, exploit the helpless, or violate the divide between reason and nonsense. 

Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 08:44:38 PM »

According to Howe and Strauss, he is Generation X. I post heavily on a Forum related to generational theory as an aspect of history, and I concur that Barack Obama is no Boomer.
Howe and Strauss cut the line between Boomers born in 1960 and X born in 1961.   His temperament is more like that of either Truman or Eisenhower, acting something like one of the two Presidents of the Lost Generation in their 60s, an "I've been burned" type who distrusts ideology of any extreme. That type is extremely cautious. The underworld-style hit on Osama bin Laden is clearly not Boom. If he must choose a solution out of the Capone playbook because Lincoln and FDR offer no solution, he can learn from Capone without being Capone.

Obama is a pragmatist above all else. He realizes that high-sounding principles can fail either due to their faults, especially being used to mistreat pariahs, exploit the helpless, or violate the divide between reason and nonsense. 

Interesting way of looking at it and I can definitely see that if your defining generations culturally rather then strictly based on birth year since technically the baby boom ended in 64 though culturally it seems to be defined by people shaped by Vietnam and/or Watergate and Obama would be a bit young for that, although he was 13 when Watergate happened.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 01:03:30 PM »

This is why generational theory is stupid.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 02:19:27 PM »

Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 10:23:23 PM »

I admittedly used to be somewhat intrigued by Strauss and Howe, maybe because the idea of cyclical history is somewhat comforting as was seeing us millenials as a new "greatest generation." As i've grown older i've just come to see it as just another way to divide people.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies