Adopt a Constituency
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:17:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Adopt a Constituency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Adopt a Constituency  (Read 9515 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 11:36:19 AM »
« edited: April 27, 2005, 11:42:00 AM by Senate Candidate BRTD »

I have no clue about any of the constituencies or what they are like.

By the way, how are they drawn? Do you have a way that prevents gerrymandering or is that done as well?

Anyway my state Senate district can basically be split into 4 parts:

my city: almost exactly half the district. Solid Dem, both socially and economically liberal.
North Mankato: a suburb of my city about 1/3 the size. Leans Dem, a bit more conservative socially and economically.
St. Peter: a town of about 10,000 (slightly smaller than North Mankato) 12 miles north of here. Also has a university but a private Lutheran one. However both the university and town are rather liberal, and it's solid Dem, probably far left economically and center-left socially.
The rest: rural Nicollet county and parts of rural Sibley county. Very rural and conservative.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2005, 11:38:09 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2005, 11:47:49 AM by Bono »

Rutland & Melton
Candidates Standing:
 Linda Arnold     Labour               
Peter Baker    UK Independence Party          
Alan Duncan    Conservative          
Graham Hudson    Liberal Democrat          
Helen Pender    Independent          
Duncan Shelley    Veritas

Incumbent Alan Duncan. Of course I'm rooting for him. Smiley

2001 RESULT FOR RUTLAND & MELTON
Conservative    Conservative    48.1%
Labour    Labour    29.8%
Liberal Democrat    Liberal Democrat    17.8%
Others    Others    4.3%

BBC Profile: Rutland is a county in its own right, the smallest in the country, having battled for some years to be recognised as an area historically distinct from its neighbours. The market town of Melton Mowbray, associated with pork pies, stilton and fox hunting is at the centre of the Borough of Melton. One of the country's largest cattle fairs is still held in Melton Mowbray every Tuesday. It also contains Anne of Cleves' house - a gift from Henry VIII to his divorced wife. From the 12th Century onwards it was renowned for sheep farming, wool merchants and the knitting trade. A large iron foundry was also set up in the 1870s although ironstone is no longer worked. Textiles, shoe and engineering factories were established in the 1920s and in 1950 Pedigree petfoods and PERA moved to Melton Mowbray. Uppingham and Oakham, both market towns, are the biggest towns in Rutland. Otherwise the area is predominantly rural, with scattered villages. The Conservatives have held the seat containing Rutland for more than 130 years. Alan Duncan has achieved strong majorities here, even in the last two elections.

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2005, 11:38:22 AM »

I believe an independent commission draws them.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2005, 11:40:31 AM »

By the way, how are they drawn? Do you have a way that prevents gerrymandering or is that done as well?

Independent Boundary Commission run by Civil Servants. Nominally headed by the Speaker of the Commons (who is politically neutral). Whilst you end up with constituency changes that inevitably favour one party over another, its not at all common that there is a partisan gerrymander though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2005, 11:43:51 AM »

we need some similar method in the US. Actually I think that's very similar to what's done in Iowa and Arizona, both of which have pretty fair districts (while Arizona has that district with the weird appendage, that wasn't done for partisan reasons but that that appendage contains a Hopi reservation, and the Hopis have traditionally had many disputes with the Apaches who make up the surrounding area, and probably wouldn't fit right together in the same district).

Anyway I added a description, what a constituency like that? I'm assuming with UK parties my city would be a Labour/Lib Dem tossup, North Mankato would heavily lean Lib Dem, St. Peter would be solidly Labour, and the rural parts solid Tory.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2005, 11:44:23 AM »

I'd like either Guildford or South-West Surrey, because that's where a friend of mine lives.  From what she's told me (I haven't even done a search of my own yet), Guildford is marginally Liberal Democratic, and SW Surrey is marginally Conservative.  The latter is also currently held by the classically named Virginia Bottomley, which is reason enough to support her.

Anyway, I guess I'll go with SW Surrey as 'my constituency', but I guess I'll keep an eye on Guildford too.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2005, 12:02:15 PM »

I'd like either Guildford or South-West Surrey, because that's where a friend of mine lives.  From what she's told me (I haven't even done a search of my own yet), Guildford is marginally Liberal Democratic, and SW Surrey is marginally Conservative.  The latter is also currently held by the classically named Virginia Bottomley, which is reason enough to support her.

Anyway, I guess I'll go with SW Surrey as 'my constituency', but I guess I'll keep an eye on Guildford too.

You are correct about the seats in question. My beat is that they actually swap places - Surrey SW goes Lib Dem and Guildford goes Tory. Surrey SW will likely fall because Bottomley, who is a very good MP actually, is standing down.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2005, 12:07:59 PM »

Al and Lewis once said my area was like Cambridge. What's the deal there?

and where can we look at a map of these?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 12:24:56 PM »

The BBC have produced a very fun interactive map: link

Cambridge is obviously the village containing the university (it really is like a village that place). Labour hold an 8,500 majority over the Lib Dems, but given how volatile the student vote is, especially with Tuition fees, Labour will definitely take a pounding, and might even take it.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2005, 12:32:05 PM »

Alright...I know of a few UK constituencies...but I'd like one that's like my area.

County: Bucks (2nd richest in the state)
State Senate District: 6th
State Senator: Robert "Tommy" Tomlinson (R), a liberal Republican, often sides with the Democratic Governor on some issues.

PA 6-Lower Bucks (South Central, Southwest Bucks) is home to older suburbs of Philadelphia, but also some very wealthy areas that were recently added to the district to boost Republican support.

median household income ranges from roughly 45000 (for some of the very blue collar areas, still not too shabby)-70000+(in the newer suburbs).

There used to be a very strong union presence in this area as many areas were homes for steel mill workers, but the area now is definitely service based (malls, large shopping centers, with stores like Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, Borders etc)...and lately I've noticed a ton of starbucks popping up.

Any idea?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2005, 01:21:29 PM »

WMS: Reading West seems to fit your part of the West Side best; it's basically a lower middle class (U.K definition) suburban area with a load of council estates and some semi-rural upper middle class areas thrown in for good measure. The local economy is booming and the area is still growing fairly quickly.
By rights the seat should be a marginal (and was in 1997) but it's (very popular) Labour M.P, Martin Salter (a populist left winger) has turned it into something of a personal fiefdom and nearly tripled his majority in 2001 (it's now 21%) and is very safe.

Yes, that sounds a lot like here. Cheesy I'll be sure to dig up information on it. Thanks Al! Kiki
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2005, 01:37:04 PM »

I'm picking Cheadle

2001 results:
Patsy Calton    Liberal Democrats    18,477    42.4%
Stephen Day    Conservative Party    18,444    42.3%
Howard Dawber    Labour Party    6,086    14.0%
Vincent Cavanagh    UKIP    599    1.4%

2005 candidates:
 Patsy Calton     Liberal Democrat               
Vincent Cavanagh    UK Independence Party          
Richard Chadfield    British National Party          
Stephen Day    Conservative          
Martin Miller    Labour
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2005, 02:43:58 PM »

My fallback is Cornwall, from dad's dad's side of the family.  (OLD) Mining areas on the north coast? He was a mine operator. We don't KNOW he was from the north coast of Cornwall, but there is a lot of 'Bartlett' presence there. They went to Cornwall from Swansea a few hundred years ago. Anyway.....

The old tin mining area is mostly in Falmouth & Cambourne, although there are parts in St Ives IIRC.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2005, 02:47:30 PM »

I pick Gordon.  In 2001, this was won by Liberal Democrat Malcolm Bruce with a majority of 7,879 (18.51%) over the Conservative candidate.  The new boundaries have put parts of heavily Labour North Aberdeen into this constituency, and it should be closer this year.  I will support Labour's Iain Brotchie, but I expect Bruce will hold on.

2005 candidates
Philip Atkinson (Con)
Iain Brotchie (Lab)
Malcolm Bruce (LD)
Tommy Paterson (SSP)
Joanna Strathdee (SNP)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2005, 02:49:06 PM »

IIRC Bridgend does have some posh-ish outer suburban places as well...though not enough for the Tories to still be a force these days. Would explain how they won it in 1983, though.

Normally those areas are only enough to prevent Bridgend having the sort of jaw dropping Labour majorities seen in the Valleys; the Tories won Bridgend in '83 because the SDP polled well (23%).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That was the official reason. The real reason was because she got herself in a power struggle with Salter and lost... she also made allies with some Tories on the borough council.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2005, 03:01:23 PM »

I wish Dunwich was still a constituency.  :-)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2005, 03:11:11 PM »

Haha! Grin

There's a list of all the seats in the pre-'32 Parliaments HERE.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2005, 03:37:05 PM »

Isn't Dunwich the rotten borough that continued to send two MPs to Parliament even after most of the village had been lost to sea erosion?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2005, 03:39:42 PM »

Isn't Dunwich the rotten borough that continued to send two MPs to Parliament even after most of the village had been lost to sea erosion?

Yep Grin
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2005, 05:09:01 PM »

I will choose Lewisham West and I am confident to say Labour will win there with a majority of around 10,000 votes. Turnout will probably be around the 50% mark.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2005, 07:28:42 PM »

I will choose Lewisham West and I am confident to say Labour will win there with a majority of around 10,000 votes. Turnout will probably be around the 50% mark.

You already live there baby.

I have Oxford West & Abingdon (LD) and Mole Valley (Con) per my two registered addresses.

The only thing of vague interest is whether the Greens will save their deposit in one and whether UKIP can do the same in the other
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2005, 10:43:33 PM »

WMS: Reading West seems to fit your part of the West Side best; it's basically a lower middle class (U.K definition) suburban area with a load of council estates and some semi-rural upper middle class areas thrown in for good measure. The local economy is booming and the area is still growing fairly quickly.
By rights the seat should be a marginal (and was in 1997) but it's (very popular) Labour M.P, Martin Salter (a populist left winger) has turned it into something of a personal fiefdom and nearly tripled his majority in 2001 (it's now 21%) and is very safe.

Yes, that sounds a lot like here. Cheesy I'll be sure to dig up information on it. Thanks Al! Kiki
Credit BBC News. Smiley It's like what Al said, but more wordy. Wink
2001 Vote:
Martin Salter Labour  22,300  53.1%
Stephen Reid Conservative  13,451  32.0%
Polly Martin Liberal Democrat  5,387  12.8%
David Black United Kingdom Independence  848 2.0%

Turnout 58.6%, Majority 8,849 (21.1%)

2005 Election:
Dave Boyle Veritas
Ewan Cameron Conservative
Denise Gaines Liberal Democrat
Martin Salter Labour
Peter Williams United Kingdom Independence
Adrian Windisch Green

This seat is larger than its eastern counterpart, covering more
territory out to the west, a lot of which is semi rural.

There is much history to the town. The Domesday Book
recorded that Reading boasted six mills, five fisheries and a
nunnery, whilst in 1121, Henry I founded an abbey here. In
the Middle Ages it was a regular venue when Parliament had to
assemble outside London due to plagues in the capital.

Commentators have not always been especially complimentary
about the town, however. In the book Three Men in a Boat,
Jerome K. Jerome said of the place: "The river is dirty and
dismal here. One does not linger in the neighbourhood of
Reading." But today, there is a booming local economy.
Hewlett Packard is based here, and many of the electorate of
this seat work for the big companies based in Reading East.

This seat takes in several council estates, including those at
Southcote and Whitley, which is on the southern edge of the
town. Further to the west of the town in the Newbury district
are the more affluent and rural residential areas. These include
Calcot and Theale by the River Kennet and Purley and
Pangbourne by the Thames. Pangbourne is home to a Royal
Naval College.

Reading West was a slightly surprising victory for Labour in
1997, when Martin Salter overturned a notional Conservative
majority of 23.7%, but its real shock came in 2001 when Mr
Salter defied electoral gravity to achieve a massive 21%
majority, with a vote share of 53.1%.

...and that's all I can find at the moment. Interesting!
Lt. Gov. Immy
Immy

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2005, 02:42:41 AM »

2001 RESULT FOR CLWYD SOUTH
Labour  51.4%
Conservative  24.8%
Plaid Cymru  11.9%
Others  11.9%

2001 Result: Won by LAB, majority 26.6%

2005 Candidates
Tom Biggins  Conservative   
Deric Burnham  Liberal Democrat   
Alwyn Humphreys  Forward Wales   
Martyn Jones  Labour   
Nick Powell  UK Independence Party   
Mark Strong  Plaid Cymru   

Profile: Clwyd South was one of the new Welsh constituencies created in 1997. Many of the extra voters came largely from the industrial areas of Wrexham, which helped to reassert Labour control. Much of the seat had been in Clwyd South-West, which was held by the Conservatives in the 1983 landslide but reverted to Labour in 1987, and Martyn Jones has held it ever since. The high-profile candidature of Boris Johnson, editor of the Spectator and now MP for Henley, failed to revive their vote in 1997. Although Martyn Jones' vote slipped in 2001, he still commands a majority of nearly 9,000, a comfortable 26.6% of the vote. Plaid Cymru slipped to third behind the Conservatives in the 2001 general election. Clwyd South is the home of the annual International Eisteddfod at Llangollen. And nestled in the heart of the beautiful Dee Valley, the area receives plenty of valuable tourist income.

Hmm, looks like a sure Labour win.  I think I'd vote Lib Dem if I were voting.

Are there any similar constiutencies that the Lib Dem is in a close battle with someone?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2005, 03:37:32 AM »

Are there any similar constiutencies that the Lib Dem is in a close battle with someone?

Not really.

The only other seat that's similer is Meirionnydd Nant Conwy, but it's very, very different in another way; pretty much everyone speaks Welsh there and a combination of that and the decision of the City of Liverpool to flood a small village in the constituency to make a resivoir (I'm not making this up) means the seat (formerly just Merionth) has been protest voting for Plaid Cymru for the past 30 years. Before then it had been a rare Lab/Lib marginal (the Labour voting slate mining/quarrying areas against the Liberal voting hill farmers) but since then the Labour vote has more or less been halved (they also suffered negative boundary changes when Nant Conwy was added in 1983) and the Liberals have completely collapsed... I think they may still have a rural councillers in the seat but that's about it.
The seat has a tiny electorate (32,000 in 2001) and certain people (myself included) think that the inclusion of Nant Conwy but not the rest of the Conwy valley was basically a gerrymander. The seat is being abolished after this election.
Plaid should hold (although the tiny electorate means they can't *really* take it for granted, especially with the flat out insane remarks the incumbent has taken to saying recently) and if there's a poster from rural Quebec, this is the seat you should adopt Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2005, 05:51:34 AM »

Alright...I know of a few UK constituencies...but I'd like one that's like my area.

County: Bucks (2nd richest in the state)
State Senate District: 6th
State Senator: Robert "Tommy" Tomlinson (R), a liberal Republican, often sides with the Democratic Governor on some issues.

PA 6-Lower Bucks (South Central, Southwest Bucks) is home to older suburbs of Philadelphia, but also some very wealthy areas that were recently added to the district to boost Republican support.

median household income ranges from roughly 45000 (for some of the very blue collar areas, still not too shabby)-70000+(in the newer suburbs).

There used to be a very strong union presence in this area as many areas were homes for steel mill workers, but the area now is definitely service based (malls, large shopping centers, with stores like Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, Borders etc)...and lately I've noticed a ton of starbucks popping up.

Any idea?

I have a few ideas, but I need to know one other thing; how large is the Jewish population?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies