Terry McAuliffe will be Hillary Clinton's running mate.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 12:51:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Terry McAuliffe will be Hillary Clinton's running mate.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Terry McAuliffe will be Hillary Clinton's running mate.  (Read 7523 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 07:43:54 PM »

He has a strong chance.

The Clintons prefer loyalty and he's the Governor of a major swing state.

Hillary also seems confident enough to go with it. There is potential spin. "This is a man I have known and trusted for decades."

No, he brings nothing to the ticket and would damage it because of the sleaze he carries, he won't help Clinton even carry the state like Kaine or Warner will.
However, she may like him more. And that could be the difference. Especially if she's feeling confident about polls.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 07:51:29 PM »

He has a strong chance.

Hillary also seems confident enough to go with it. There is potential spin. "This is a man I have known and trusted for decades."

No, he brings nothing to the ticket and would damage it because of the sleaze he carries, he won't help Clinton even carry the state like Kaine or Warner will.
However, she may like him more. And that could be the difference. Especially if she's feeling confident about polls.

She likes him, but she likes winning more. She's not going to pick someone who jeopardizes the latter.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 07:55:26 PM »

He has a strong chance.

Has there even been a whiff of impropriety until now by T-Mac personally or his administration?
I remember after he won the Republicans were gleefully preparing for an avalanche of scandals. 
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 08:00:06 PM »

Look, McAuliffe won 47% in his first election barely beating out a nut, Warner ecked a 49% win and blowing his lead in the polls, and Kaine won with 53% of the vote against a former Senator/Governor and outperformed Obama. Who do you think she's going to pick out of the three? I'm sure the Clinton's like Andrew Cuomo too but he's not going to be on her ticket .
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 08:01:08 PM »

If you're going to speculate on one of those three Virginians though - none of them won more than 55% in their last election, so the chances of any of them providing a huge boost in Virginia are slim.

Vice Presidents hardly ever swing their home state in their ticket's direction.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 08:06:53 PM »

I have no evidence, but my guess is the reason Julian Castro was appointed HUD Secretary was to fast-track his experience in government as a minority choice for Hillary and that she will pick him.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 08:12:44 PM »

If you make enough predictions, one of them is bound to come true.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 10:06:42 PM »

I have no evidence, but my guess is the reason Julian Castro was appointed HUD Secretary was to fast-track his experience in government as a minority choice for Hillary and that she will pick him.

I have to agree with most of this. I'm not 100% convinced that she'll pick Castro. I could see her picking Kaine though; I believe that he's fluent in Spanish while Castro isn't.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 10:19:51 PM »

This would be a disaster.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 10:38:44 PM »

Chief of Staff is better for McAuliffe. Kaine, Heinrich, or even Dick Gephardt would be better VPs.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 10:45:13 PM »

I will return in about a year and a half to be vindicated. For now, carry on.

I was saying this at AH.com at least a year ago.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 10:46:37 PM »

Chief of Staff is better for McAuliffe. Kaine, Heinrich, or even Dick Gephardt would be better VPs.
Who?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 10:50:36 PM »

Who?
Former Missouri Rep. Dick Gephardt. He brings labor union credentials.  He ran for president in '88 and '04. Gephardt was almost Kerry ' s running mate in '04.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2015, 10:52:22 PM »

He has a strong chance.

That's a solid point. He's been a fairly safe Governor. That's not a minus in the veepstakes.

If Jeb Bush had a good friend who was a noncontroversial Governor of Pennsylvania, he'd be considered a potential veep.

Has there even been a whiff of impropriety until now by T-Mac personally or his administration?
I remember after he won the Republicans were gleefully preparing for an avalanche of scandals. 
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 10:54:02 PM »

Who?
Former Missouri Rep. Dick Gephardt. He brings labor union credentials.  He ran for president in '88 and '04. Gephardt was almost Kerry ' s running mate in '04.

The only reason she'd pick him is to make herself look young....
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2015, 10:59:24 PM »

He has a strong chance.

That's a solid point. He's been a fairly safe Governor. That's not a minus in the veepstakes.

If Jeb Bush had a good friend who was a noncontroversial Governor of Pennsylvania, he'd be considered a potential veep.

It doesn't matter if his tenure has been scandal-free it's the sleaze in his past that matters, it won't go away just because none came up during his Governorship.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 10:59:58 PM »

Who?

The only reason she'd pick him is to make herself look young....
If she picked him it would be for a sense of knowing your running mate.  Well known and experienced. Could play well in Missouri and Iowa where it counts.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 01:10:32 PM »

It will be either HICKENLOOPER or TOM PEREZ, where Immigration reform will be key in getting back the senate and the W.H. and both will be perfect to fill that hispanic void. Outside chance of Kaine, but he is pro life catholic.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 01:22:31 PM »

No chance.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »

But Castro! If Julian Castro is the VP candidate, Hillary will win Hispanics 100-0 and FL will be solid D. TX will be a battleground.

Texas won't even be a battleground, Republicans wont be able to contest it. (Castro Hack)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2015, 01:37:59 PM »

But Castro! If Julian Castro is the VP candidate, Hillary will win Hispanics 100-0 and FL will be solid D. TX will be a battleground.

Texas won't even be a battleground, Republicans wont be able to contest it. (Castro Hack)

Tom Perez or Hickenlooper would be perfect in contesting NV and CO, although FL will be a bonus just lt was in 2012.

But Perez would be picked due to being Secretary of Labor, and Hilary wants to make the case on job creation, like her husband administered.

Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2015, 04:37:20 PM »

Who?
Didn't see this till now, but I was joking. Sort of. Gephardt is a has-been and would not help Clinton whatsoever.
bobloblaw
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2015, 08:10:43 PM »

Perez is less qualified than Palin
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2015, 08:34:40 PM »

It will be either HICKENLOOPER or TOM PEREZ, where Immigration reform will be key in getting back the senate and the W.H. and both will be perfect to fill that hispanic void. Outside chance of Kaine, but he is pro life catholic.
Kaine's pro-life in a safe and nonobjectionable way.

He's personally opposed to abortion, but supports it being legal. He's in the Bill Clinton "safe, legal and rare" camp.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2015, 08:41:11 PM »

Perez has run a federal department and is familiar with national issues due to his posts in the Justice Department and Labor Department.

Qualifications aren't just a matter of how long someone has held statewide office.

Palin had spent two years as Governor of one of the least populated states. Governors are also vulnerable to being unaware of events outside their states, especially relevant for an Alaskan, given the state's geographic isolation from the rest of the country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies