Hungarian shopping ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:26:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hungarian shopping ban
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Hungarian shopping ban  (Read 2145 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 09:03:16 AM »

But most people would rather do their routine shopping on Saturdays or after work. I don't know anyone who does it on a Sunday.

Well, and I do most of my shopping on Sundays: but, of course, I normally live in countries where this is allowed. In Madrid, mercifully, there were a few migrant stores that ignored the law - I did a disproportionate amount of shopping there.

BTW, and what would a Jew be supposed to do? He cannot shop on a Saturday.

He could on Saturday evening between sunset and 10pm under the Hungarian law  Or for that matter go to those stores that would be allowed to remain open.

A bit restrictive, isn't it?

Yes.  That's why I favor a blue law like that of Colonial South Carolina.  Christian-owned businesses were required to be closed on Sunday, but Jewish-owned ones were required to be closed on Saturday.  Still, I doubt anyone will be working 16 hours a day.  Even those who keep a Saturday sabbath should still be able to find ample opportunities to shop Monday-Friday.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 09:12:43 AM »

Incredible how many posters here act like whores to the big corporations and capitalists, instead of being advocates for the workers.

Why should I or a friend of mine crawl into the ass of my boss each Sunday I want to lets say play tennis with a friend of mine, just to get a day off ?

Why should a mother of 2 crawl into the ass of her boss and ask for a Sunday off, because she wants to go skiing with her kids - which she cannot weekdays because they are at school ?

Think about it. The American Way of Life is not always the best to emulate. Our way of life is sometimes not bad either and the laws exist for a reason. If people were able to shop their stuff from Monday to Saturday for the past 5 million years of human existance, why should we open the shops for another day ? Don't be a corporate whore and asocial, be social.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 09:16:34 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2015, 09:29:35 AM by Famous Mortimer »

Incredible how many posters here act like whores to the big corporations and capitalists, instead of being advocates for the workers.

Why should I or a friend of mine crawl into the ass of my boss each Sunday I want to lets say play tennis with a friend of mine, just to get a day off ?

Why should a mother of 2 crawl into the ass of her boss and ask for a Sunday off, because she wants to go skiing with her kids - which she cannot weekdays because they are at school ?

Think about it. The American Way of Life is not always the best to emulate. Our way of life is sometimes not bad either and the laws exist for a reason. If people were able to shop their stuff from Monday to Saturday for the past 5 million years of human existance, why should we open the shops for another day ? Don't be a corporate whore and asocial, be social.

Mandatory Sunday off is bad for workers too. What if they want Tuesday off instead? Or Friday? Now they have 24 less hours to make up the time they lost.

Don't screw over customers and workers just because it screws over employers too. That's pettiness.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 10:14:01 AM »

In the United States, some localities won't allow the sale of alcohol on Sundays but that's it.

That's not quite all.  For example, in Pennsylvania it is illegal to buy or sell a car on Sunday.  That creates a burden for shoppers, and I suspect that it cuts into the business of those auto dealerships near the Maryland or Ohio border. 

Hunting is also prohibited in Pennsylvania on Sundays, with the exception of fox-, crow- and coyote-hunting.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 10:27:36 AM »

I'm with you people let's start a anti-religious Kulturkampf whose major result is to make life worse for low income service workers, but will make life a little easier for urban professionals.

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 10:57:49 AM »

I'm with you people let's start a anti-religious Kulturkampf whose major result is to make life worse for low income service workers, but will make life a little easier for urban professionals.

Low income service workers need to go shopping too. Having options is good. Options when to shop, options when to take their days off.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 11:00:46 AM »

I'd imagine that the foxes and coyotes would like to see more options for the hunters as well.  Wink

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 11:31:38 AM »

BTW, and what would a Jew be supposed to do? He cannot shop on a Saturday.

This is an issue, sure. If there aren't provisions of some sort made then, yes, that is discriminatory (at least to the observant). When there was a ban on Sunday trading here there were exemptions for small shops, and there tended (and tends) to be particularly high concentrations of those in Orthodox Jewish neighbourhoods. Of course during most of the time covered (the ban wasn't under threat until the 1980s and wasn't repealed until the early 1990s) people - irrespective of ethnic or religious background - were much less likely to do routine shopping in a supermarket than they are now. And not just because there were more independent shops! It's amusing to see people acting as though having their groceries delivered direct to their door is the most revolutionary thing ever, when their grandparents would often have done the same thing.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies