Will we have a President who served in Vietnam?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:18:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Will we have a President who served in Vietnam?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will we have a President who served in Vietnam?  (Read 4136 times)
ChainsawJedis
Tj Hare
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2015, 01:30:27 AM »

Watching a report on Jim Webb, and it occurred to me that Vietnam is the only major war which we have not had a president who served in it. I don't think Webb has a major chance in 2016.

PS. I'm not really counting Bush 43. I don't think he was ever in Vietnam.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 03:07:53 AM »

If Clinton choses not to run. In that scenario, I support OMalley due to his tenure as mayor of Baltimore.
OldDominion
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 01:25:13 PM »

Webb would be the best shot at it but in all likeliness, no. The Vietnam vets are getting old and a lot of them were turned off by politics coming home for obvious reasons so the ones that did get elected are few in number and don't have the name recognition of a John Kerry or a Jim Webb, for example.
ChainsawJedis
Tj Hare
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 03:23:04 PM »

Webb would be the best shot at it but in all likeliness, no. The Vietnam vets are getting old and a lot of them were turned off by politics coming home for obvious reasons so the ones that did get elected are few in number and don't have the name recognition of a John Kerry or a Jim Webb, for example.

I do think it has a lot to do with the persisting unpopularity of that war. The veterans aren't seen as war Heroes in the same way as WWII vets.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 06:06:08 PM »

I do think it has a lot to do with the persisting unpopularity of that war. The veterans aren't seen as war Heroes in the same way as WWII vets.
There are a few other factors.

A greater percentage of Americans served in World War II.

The public is ready to elect a woman.

Presidents have served full terms. The post-WWII Presidents Clinton, W and Obama all got reelected, and seem to have avoided truncated terms. As a result, there are less opportunities for others to get into the Whtie House.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 08:13:36 PM »

I would contend that we have not had a President who "served" in WWI.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 08:45:42 PM »

Truman did.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 08:47:48 PM »

Eisenhower did state-side logistics and planning, Truman fought in 1917 and 1918.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 05:59:18 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2015, 06:01:14 AM by Pacific Speaker Türkisblau »

Ah, alright. The source I read said Missouri National Guard or something of the sort.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 06:16:45 AM »

If Clinton choses not to run. In that scenario, I support OMalley due to his tenure as mayor of Baltimore.
Martin O' Malley was 10 when the Vietnam War ended, so he was way too young to have served during the war (though some of his relatives might have served in Vietnam).
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 08:39:51 AM »

Ah, alright. The source I read said Missouri National Guard or something of the sort.

Missouri Army National Guard. In France. It is not like the US had a major standing army back then.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »

I think it's bad luck more than anything.

2000: Vietnam vet won popular vote
2004: Vietnam vet was running against against wartime incumbent
2008: Vietnam vet was nominee of party whose president had become deeply unpopular
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 01:20:33 PM »

Eisenhower did state-side logistics and planning, Truman fought in 1917 and 1918.

No, July 1918 to the armistice.

Korea is a interesting case. Carter served in the Pacific as a naval officer, but never saw active combat afaik.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 03:19:23 PM »

No, July 1918 to the armistice.

Well, considering that the US only entered the war in 1917, that one needed time to mobilise, train, and bring the troops to Europe, this is about how long you can expect an American to serve in WWI. In any case, Truman, unquestionably, was a combat veteran.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 03:52:27 PM »

Maybe for similar reasons we never had a World War I vet president.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »

Watching a report on Jim Webb, and it occurred to me that Vietnam is the only major war which we have not had a president who served in it. I don't think Webb has a major chance in 2016.

The Korean War isn't major enough for you?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 12:00:49 AM »

You did. See above.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 12:10:17 AM »

Carter served on a submarine in the Pacific during the Korean War. It depends how closely you want the service to be related to the theatre of war.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 07:31:51 AM »

Carter served on a submarine in the Pacific during the Korean War. It depends how closely you want the service to be related to the theatre of war.

Carter never seen combat (after WWII, hardly any submariner did) and AFAIK he wasn't close enough to Korea to be regarded as participant of the conflict.

If we use this definition, any soldier/sailor/airman/marine serving in the Pacific would count as Korea and Vietnam vet, even if they served miles away and had no connection.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 05:16:15 PM »

You did. See above.

ouch, missed that...I guess that I tend not to think of Truman and Eisenhower as not being WW1 vets since they weren't of the generation that actually served in the trenches. We didn't really have a president of the Hemmingway/Lost Generation.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 06:21:01 PM »

The point about Clinton, W. Bush, and Obama all being 2 termers serving out the whole 8 years (presumably so in Obama's case, at least) is a good one. That's a solid block of 24 years with three presidents...a whole generation aged out during just three administrations. Compare that to the period between Eisenhower leaving and Reagan taking office, 1961-1981. There were Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, and Carter in the White House in a 20 year time period. Times like that are far more effective at hitting presidents that had been in many different roles in life.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 07:29:13 PM »

The Vietnam vets are getting old -- 65 years old or so. I see nobody since John McCain (who was in his 30s and 40s during the Vietnam War, as was often the case with aviators) touting his combat in the Vietnam War. The Vietnam War has not been good for political exploitation.

A hero general? General Norman Schwartzkopf chose to avoid partisan politics. He is no longer available, as he is no longer alive.

The next war vet to use wartime service as part of his appeal will involve one of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan -- maybe.   
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 07:48:19 PM »

We did have someone elected President who served in 'Nam. However, Gore didn't take office.

Missouri Army National Guard. In France. It is not like the US had a major standing army back then.

Yeah, this wasn't like Dubya enlistment in Texas Army National Guard, which was clearly designed to keep himself out of 'Nam
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 02:21:44 PM »

Bush was a Vietnam veteran in the sense that he was in the military at that time, but he never went to the jungle, which I'm guessing is what you're asking.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 06:16:46 PM »

Being a veteran of any war has no appeal to Americans post-Vietnam for obvious reasons. I'm pretty sure no "War on Terror" veterans will take the presidency-especially Iraq veterans.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies