Clinton 1992/Dole 1996 counties by state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:20:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Clinton 1992/Dole 1996 counties by state
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton 1992/Dole 1996 counties by state  (Read 1417 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2015, 01:42:09 AM »

Carrying on from my Gore/Bush and Bush/Kerry lists, I’ve now collected Clinton/Dole counties.

AL: Lauderdale.
AK: N/A.
AZ: Cochise.
AR: Baxter, Boone, Carroll, Newton, Polk.
CA: Butte, Del Norte, Fresno, Mariopsa, Plumas, Riverside, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Siskiyou, Tehama, Trinity, Tuolumne.
CO: Garfield, La Plata, Larimer.
CT: None.
DE: None.
FL: None.
GA: Bacon, Bleckley, Brantley, Brooks, Candler, Franklin, Haralson, Jeff Davis, Jones, Laurens, Lincoln, Lumpkin, Monroe, Morgan, Newton, Pickens, Worth.
HI: None.
ID: Benewah, Bonner, Clearwater, Lewis.
IL: Brown, Clark, Crawford, Cumberland, Douglas, Edgar, Jasper, Johnson, Monroe, Richland, Tazewell.
IN: Greene.
IA: None
KS: Ellis, Labette, Leavenworth, Shawnee
KY: Barren, Bracken, Breckenridge, Bullitt, Crittenden, Daviess, Fleming, Hart, Larue, Metcalfe, Spencer, Todd.
LA: None.
ME: None.
MD: None.
MA: None.
MI: Charlevoix
MN: None
MS: None
MO: Adair, Andrew, Atchison, Butler, Carter, Dallas, DeKalb, Dent, Harrison, Howell, Johnson, Knox, Morgan, Phelps, Platte, Pulaski, Texas, Warren.
MT: Lake, Lewis and Clark, Valley,
NE: None
NV: Storey
NH: None
NJ: None
NM: None
NY: None
NC: Alleghany, Brunswick, Greene, Pamlico, Pender, Pitt, Rockingham, Sampson, Wake, Watauga, Yancey
ND: None
OH: Coshocton.
OK: Beckham, Delaware, Stephens, Wash**ta.
OR: Curry, Deschutes, Jackson, Jefferson.
PA: Clearfield.
RI: None.
SC: Edgefield.
SD: Aurora, Bon Homme, Hanson, Spink.
TN: Bledsoe, Claiborne, Macon, Pickett, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson.
TX: Angelina, Briscoe, Clay, Coleman, Concho, Franklin, Freestone, Grayson, Hays, Henderson, Hill, Houston, Jack, Lamar, Liberty, McCulloch, Madison, Mills, Montague, Polk, San Jacinto.
UT: Gtand.
VT: None.
VA: Henry.
WA: Okanogan.
WV: None.
WI: None
WY: Carbon.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:47:13 AM »

I'm surprised that there weren't more in the midwest in response to Clinton's support of NAFTA.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:53:01 AM »

I'm surprised that there weren't more in the midwest in response to Clinton's support of NAFTA.

Nader wasn't on the ballot in most of those states that year, and Dole certainly wasn't going to improve their condition.
Hydera

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:17:59 PM »

Any validity to the claim that the Assault weapons ban that Clinton signed, was the reason for a sizeable swing in Appalachia where he won back in 1992 to swing to the GOP in 1996?

Manufacturing jobs actually increased from 1993 to 1997 after bottoming out in 1992 due to the early 90's recession.

A lot of the loss in manufacturing jobs actually started in 1998 when crisis hit asian tiger countries that actually had trade deficits went back to refocusing on exports to build lost wealth which caused the US trade deficit to skyrocket. And outsourcing of jobs to china starting in early 2000's that caused the real crisis in manufacturing to begin.
DS0816
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:28:55 PM »

Colorado's Larimer County (its county is Fort Collins) is the most critical in the state. Every presidential candidate who has carried the state of Colorado since the 1950s won Larimer County. Bill Clinton's Democratic pickup of Colorado, in 1992, resulted in a likewise Democratic pickup of Larimer County. Bob Dole, despite failing to unseat Bill Clinton, in 1996, won Republican pickups on both counts. And I think the pattern will continue. Hell, Larimer County was there when Rick Santorum won the Republican presidential caucus in the state in 2012. Larimer County also carried for Cory Gardiner, in 2014, when the Republican unseated in the U.S. Senate race the incumbent Democrat Mark Udall. And that was a split decision of Larimer County vs. the likewise powerful duo Arapahoe (Littleton) and Jefferson (Golden) counties. In 2012, they carried for Mitt Romney. In 2014, they carried for Mark Udall. Larimer County trumped Arapahoe and Jefferson counties. Interesting, indeed, given I have close relative who lives here.
DS0816
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 03:30:43 PM »

The numerous listing of Missouri counties points to one thing: In 1992, it was the last time Missouri had a Democratic tilt built into its then-bellwether status, In 1996, it moved to a Republican tilt built into its then-bellwether status. The state, of course, carried for both of Bill Clinton's elections. But, in hindsight, it's not difficult to understand why Missouri is no longer a presidential bellwether state.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 04:29:45 PM »

On the other hand, 2 of the 3 largest MI counties (Oakland and Macomb) switched from Bush 92 to Clinton 96-- and by a healthy (not razor-thin) margin in all cases.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »

I'm stunned some of those Texas counties voted for Clinton in the first place.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 07:58:05 PM »

I'm not. Many rural counties in the South were Democratic until recently. They saw Clinton as a favorite son until he came out for don't ask, don't tell.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies