Atlas forum leaderboard (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:45:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas forum leaderboard (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas forum leaderboard  (Read 75594 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: October 13, 2020, 12:58:25 AM »

NCY has taken 9th place, pushing opebo down to 10th place:

1) BRTD 91,227
2) Al 63,331
3) Lewis 58,232
4) Kal 57,509
5) Tender 55,398
6) Phil 52,650
7) Antonio 52,262
8 ) jfern 48,036
9) North Carolina Yankee 47,054
10) opebo 47,051

Smiley
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 12:58:56 AM »

Do posters these days remember Lewis?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 05:34:49 PM »

OC ties Opebo and is on the top ten!

Wonderful news!
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 05:11:25 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2024, 11:52:08 AM by Sol »

I find it weird that the only year where I don't recognize a single user is 2004

Good way to feel old lol because basically all of those people were extremely well-known forum institutions when I signed up. To indulge in a little nostalgia, here are some descriptions of them.

Minionofmidas (more commonly called Lewis Trondheim) was a very knowledgeable poster with a great deal of expertise on Indian culture and history (in both senses). He was of a coterie of posters who became quite alienated in the 2012-2015 period by the high-profile banning of users like jmfcst and Opebo, as well as genuine mod overreach, like the corruption of Inks. He used to post on AAD, maybe still does, and I think he occasionally lurks here. King was part of that group too; the only person around these days who was of that circle is Lief, who is very different both politically (he has moved much to the right) and in personality. I don't find that circle of posters very appealing, but I do think King and certainly Lewis Trondheim were fairly high-quality posters and funny people.

Jfern is a far left poster hated by BRTD; he's still around.

Keystone Phil was a Republican hack, though relatively moderate iirc? Inclined to cope. I believe he worked in PA politics and left the forum because of that. J.J. was another Philly-based right winger, who I believe was inclined to cringeworthy hackery (including memorably misunderstanding probability).

Mr. Morden was a forum icon who tragically passed away a year or so ago. Well-known as an expert on Atlas history, as well as quite the comedian.

True Federalist, better known as Ernest, was a South Carolina poster known for a deep interest in constitutional law and Christian theology, a bit of an eccentric. He was an older poster and stopped suddenly, so some fear that he may have passed away, though it's just as possible that he just decided to leave.

The one with the other weird username was StatesRights, who was a bit before my time but who IIRC was also deeply racist, as you'd expect based on his username. Alcon and Lunar were left-leaning posters whose postingest times were before my time too; Alcon had a reputation as a master debater.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 02:15:26 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2024, 01:08:24 AM by Sol »

Honestly there’s a number of posters on the lists for the 00s I don’t recognize either, if you’re willing to give a rundown for the other cohorts I’d appreciate it greatly

Just doing people who I know well, because the early days of Atlas are as far away from when I registered as when I registered is from now. Also ignoring who are still active on here, unless they post way less frequently.

Interesting the 2003 people are mostly still highly active here. Kind of striking!

In 2004, I didn't mention Gabu, who was 11th. Gabu was also before my time, but he had a reputation as a quick wit who got a lot of burns in on BRTD.

In 2005, we have "Joe Biden 2020" aka Bushie (D-OK), who is one of the forum's more infamous characters. He was an bumbling evangelical Christian from Oklahoma who for peculiar reasons treated the forum like his personal diary, oversharing far too much about his genuinely foolish and disgusting behavior and attracting a devoting following of critics who badgered him to improve his life. These "Update" threads were definitely unethical but had a certain literary quality; his life kind of resembled a picaresque novel, with him falling for scam after scam and flunking out of job after job. He also had a weird writing style which was folksy and kind of compelling. Moderators eventually (rightly) banned Update; if I remember right this was the precipitating event that lead to the creation of AAD. The most memorable moment of Update was on AAD shortly after the shift over; Bushie fell for an amateurish craigslist scam (which likely lured him in via the promise of a $50 daily "meal subsidy") where he'd be working at a bridal store called "Ashfat Bridal" for a man named either Pedro Torres or Tevez. It turned out to be a straightforward check scam which Bushie fell for, despite almost everyone on the forum figuring out the con and telling him not do it.

Quote from: Bushie
It may be in the format of a scam, but his close communication is what is keeping me around.

There's a lot more to say about Bushie, but that would kind of derail this thread. Update is basically done now with AAD dying, and since Update is banned here Bushie seems to no longer affiliate with the community (since he has no interest in politics). Per the last few Update posts on AAD from last year, Bushie seems to finally be doing well.

Memphis was one of the most devoted Update readers. D-TN avatar, and very much part of the crew of posters who rebelled against the mods and went over to AAD. A particularly unpleasant guy IMO; kind of racist and classist, and an extreme transphobe. Eraserhead was of a similar group of rebel posters, though much nicer and with better opinions, and was also deeply involved with Update.

Inks (R-MI) was a mod during the Obama years and was infamous for his draconian enforcement of moderating rules. I'm not sure if this is how moderation works now, but back then a violation of forum rules was punished by giving the poster "infraction points" (commonly called death points by critics), a certain number of which would trigger mod review, and then a tempban. The number of infraction points assigned was up to the discretion of the mods, and Inks was infamous for piling them on, especially to posters he didn't like. (Hilariously the death points system was invented by Bushie when he was briefly a mod).

Eventually he was brought down by attempting to blackmail former poster Simfan in an IRC chatroom in exchange for information on socks, a scandal which lead to his unmodding and nearly his banning (I don't remember the details, but the relevant thread is here. A bit of a Nixonian or J. Edgar Hoover-esque story. I believe he occasionally still posts, amazingly.

Tetro Kornbluth is Gully Foyle, BRTD's ancient enemy from Ireland. A pretty high quality poster. He actually had a pretty prominent role in the 2012-2015 era of the forum which brought Inks and the zenith of Update's popularity; his advocacy and research exposed Opebo's misconduct and finally lead to his banning.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 09:18:02 PM »

Is Inks' infamous mod tenure why people censor swears with [inks]? It's something I never fully questioned but it's even in my signature, and I'm not fully sure of the history there.

Yes!
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 11:14:55 PM »

Honestly there’s a number of posters on the lists for the 00s I don’t recognize either, if you’re willing to give a rundown for the other cohorts I’d appreciate it greatly
Per the last few Update posts on AAD from last year, Bushie seems to finally be doing well.

Oh he is not doing well. At all.

Oh dear how so?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies