Robertson, Morris and Newton Counties, Texas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:00:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Robertson, Morris and Newton Counties, Texas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Robertson, Morris and Newton Counties, Texas  (Read 1165 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2015, 08:00:26 PM »

These counties have small population and non-hispanic white majority. However, the Democrats used to win these counties until 2000. When Gore won these counties, it was the last time a Democrat won a county in Texas outside the Hispanic South and the big cities. We can note also that in 2000, Bush had a wide margin in Harris and Dallas. So, the electoral map in Texas changed a lot in only 12 years.

What do Robertson, Morris and Newton counties have that is different from other counties in Texas?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:11:12 PM »

They have some black population (like 20%) + "Democrat" white vote. The suburban and urban areas of Texas were once the most Republican at one time. Now that the rural whites have abandoned the Democrats, that's changed. It was only a matter of time until the Dems collapsed completely in rural Texas.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:56:43 PM »

These counties have small population and non-hispanic white majority. However, the Democrats used to win these counties until 2000. When Gore won these counties, it was the last time a Democrat won a county in Texas outside the Hispanic South and the big cities. We can note also that in 2000, Bush had a wide margin in Harris and Dallas. So, the electoral map in Texas changed a lot in only 12 years.

What do Robertson, Morris and Newton counties have that is different from other counties in Texas?

Relatively large black populations automatically give the Democrats a higher "floor" there. They are all East and Central Texas counties with very strong Yellow Dog Democrat roots. They are also dirt poor and there are no suburbs or mid-sized cities in those counties where the GOP could have built a base of support from earlier. Even the white people are likely on food stamps and disability.

I used to drive through Robertson County when I'd go home from college. I recall there always being a dilapidated wooden house overlooking the highway with a large sign in the front yard that said "Had Enough? Vote Democratic!" At various times I recall seeing white people near the house and in the yard so my assumption was that they lived there and chose to put the sign up.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies