how would you rank different western countries on a left-right scale? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:58:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  how would you rank different western countries on a left-right scale? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: how would you rank different western countries on a left-right scale?  (Read 1742 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: April 24, 2005, 05:55:41 PM »

You can't really rank these countries on a right-left scale. The cultures and political climates are too diverse to compare.

Hmmm....I don't know.  I admit that it's messy, but don't you think that if you break it down into economic, social, and foreign policy issues, you can make some comparisons?  For example, wouldn't most people agree that the U.S. is more conservative than most other western countries in all three categories, or that France is to the left of Australia on both economics and foreign policy?

I guess I'm most curious about the UK vs. Canada vs. Australia.  How would you compare those three against each other in the three categories?  And, if possible, how would you compare them against continental Europe en masse?  The impression I get is that both the UK and Australia are somewhat to the right of most of continental Europe on both economics and foreign policy, but I'm not really sure how they compare on social issues.  And I'm also not sure where Canada would fit in.

Canada is a very politically diverse nation. It all depends on what region you are speaking about.  Canada may seem Liberal, but don't go telling a westener he's Liberal!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies