Election Maps I'd be curious to see....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:11:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Election Maps I'd be curious to see....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election Maps I'd be curious to see....  (Read 1145 times)
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2015, 12:42:15 AM »

Any chance we could see 1972 or 1984 by congressional district? Obviously, Reagan won some CD's in Minnesota, and Nixon probably won some in Massachusetts, but Mondale and McGovern also likely won some CD's in states they lost. Still, it's remarkable to think Nixon and Reagan in all probability won the majority of Democratic-held House districts. Split-ticketing must've been at an all-time high in these races.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 01:14:19 AM »

Any chance we could see 1972 or 1984 by congressional district? Obviously, Reagan won some CD's in Minnesota, and Nixon probably won some in Massachusetts, but Mondale and McGovern also likely won some CD's in states they lost. Still, it's remarkable to think Nixon and Reagan in all probability won the majority of Democratic-held House districts. Split-ticketing must've been at an all-time high in these races.

You're in luck!  Here, scroll down to the bottom of the page to see Presidential Results by CD:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=137677.1100
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:26:21 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2015, 10:29:51 AM by TheElectoralBoobyPrize »

You're in luck!  Here, scroll down to the bottom of the page to see Presidential Results by CD:

Thank you!!! I guess it's no surprise you have to zoom in to see many of the Mondale and McGovern districts, but damn...the latter really got stomped (if I recall, he also looks worst on the county-by-county map). Looks like I was a little off about MA in '72 though as it looks like Nixon only won one district there. ..fewer than Bush Sr. got in '88 against someone from the state. A few other questions/observations for anyone who's interested...

1. Do Hawaii's congressional districts never split or something?

2. 1964 is also pretty interesting...looks like Goldwater only won his home state via one CD. What's up with those Illinois CD's Goldwater won?He won a couple there but not in Ohio, Pennsylvania, or even Indiana? I can understand the rest of the map, but not this.

3. Carter won ALL Georgia CD's in 1980? 1976 I can understand, but 1980?

Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »

You're in luck!  Here, scroll down to the bottom of the page to see Presidential Results by CD:

Thank you!!! I guess it's no surprise you have to zoom in to see many of the Mondale and McGovern districts, but damn...the latter really got stomped (if I recall, he also looks worst on the county-by-county map). Looks like I was a little off about MA in '72 though as it looks like Nixon only won one district there. ..fewer than Bush Sr. got in '88 against someone from the state. A few other questions/observations for anyone who's interested...

1. Do Hawaii's congressional districts never split or something?

2. 1964 is also pretty interesting...looks like Goldwater only won his home state via one CD. What's up with those Illinois CD's Goldwater won?He won a couple there but not in Ohio, Pennsylvania, or even Indiana? I can understand the rest of the map, but not this.

3. Carter won ALL Georgia CD's in 1980? 1976 I can understand, but 1980?

Hawaii's districts have been similar since 1968.  However, from 1962-1966, it didn't have congressional districts, despite having 2 representatives.  Instead, the state used the "At-Large" system.   

Suburban Chicago was pretty rich back in the day, and pretty conservative.  For example, If I recall correctly, Goldwater won Dupage county by low double digits.  As for Indiana, it looks like Goldwater's support was spread out between congressional districts, which allowed LBJ to sweep the state. 

There were a couple close calls in Georgia back in 1980: the Fourth District (in DeKalb County) went to Carter by 6% points, and the Seventh District (in the state's Northwestern corner) went to him by only 3% points.  And if you go by 1984 Districts, Carter actually loses the 7th.  Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies