Pope Francis to Address Congress
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:36:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pope Francis to Address Congress
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Pope Francis to Address Congress  (Read 5141 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 06:38:27 PM »

He's not gonna spare either side of the aisle. 

This most likely. He'll skewer Democrats on abortion and Republicans on their complete lack of empathy for the downtrodden
Is this Pope really still towing the line on abortion?  Ugh.  Get over it, people.  Sorry for being such an insensitive bastard on this issue, but I'm a insensitive bastard on this issue. 

You don't have to like it, but the Pope upholds Church doctrine. That much goes without saying, yet people on the forum act like its a big deal anytime he says something in line with centuries of Catholic teaching.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 06:50:08 PM »

Oh goody, a double headed, mutually reinforcing publicity stunt.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 07:05:50 PM »

Yeah, pure publicity.

Plus, "Be meek and mild, feed the poor, be chaste" will fall on deaf ears certainly. 
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 07:26:36 PM »

Well this is certainly interesting news.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 08:56:52 PM »

This Pope is a good man. Hopefully he gives the Republicans a good (verbal) spanking!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 09:41:57 PM »

I hope he is there to promote the Bibel-approved leftist economic policies that he espouses so much in interviews and whatnot, and doesn't engage in topics like America's spiritual identity and nonsense like that. 

I have high hopes for this, because the Pope might be one of the few people the dolled-up bumbkins we know as Congressional Republicans might actually listen to. 

Why? They're all Protestants.

Protestants I know still look at the Pope as a revered and respected Christian figurehead. 

Not fundis. The Pope is close to being Antichrist to many Protestant fundamentalists.

This hasn't been true for many years, at least when it comes to US politicians.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »

This most likely. He'll skewer Democrats on abortion and Republicans on their complete lack of empathy for the downtrodden

Yeah, probably. The annoying part is I just know Fox News will promptly not report on any of the economic stuff and focus solely on the social issues acting like the Pope agrees with Republicans.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 11:46:04 PM »

Yeah, probably. The annoying part is I just know Fox News will promptly not report on any of the economic stuff and focus solely on the social issues acting like the Pope agrees with Republicans.

That depends on whether Fox News wants to domesticate the Pope or vilify him. It's rather touch-and-go at this point.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 03:28:34 PM »

I hope he is there to promote the Bibel-approved leftist economic policies that he espouses so much in interviews and whatnot, and doesn't engage in topics like America's spiritual identity and nonsense like that. 

I have high hopes for this, because the Pope might be one of the few people the dolled-up bumbkins we know as Congressional Republicans might actually listen to. 

Why? They're all Protestants.

Protestants I know still look at the Pope as a revered and respected Christian figurehead. 

Not fundis. The Pope is close to being Antichrist to many Protestant fundamentalists.

I've been told in the past that I am not allowed to label myself a Christian because of my Catholic faith.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 05:30:19 PM »

Speaking of which, did the GOP cave and not coordinate this with the White House, or is Obama being selective in picking which meaningless fights over when foreign leaders speak to Congress he'll bother to make a fuss over?

The Pope isn't up for election a couple of weeks after his visit...
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 12:51:48 AM »

My pastor once said during while answering one of those "text the pastor questions during the sermon" things to a question about if divisions in Christianity are something he saw as a huge obstacle and issue and used the last two Popes as examples by saying "Take the Pope as well as the last one, I agree with them both on issues such as poverty, there's obviously many things I disagree with them on such as the role of women".

Sounds like someone who clearly doesn't regard the Pope as the Antichrist and would probably be interested in what he'd have to say here.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 01:38:34 AM »

Doesn't Bushie believe that Pope Francis is one of the candidates to be the Anti-Christ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 04:25:54 AM »

one of those "text the pastor questions during the sermon" things

LOL

BRTD's "church" never ceases to amaze.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 03:01:38 PM »

Non-denominational.

Regardless though it's hard to call that a searing attack on the Pope.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 03:16:49 PM »

Non-denominational.

Your church does not qualify as fundis, so that is not relevant. No one said liberal or mainline Christians were anti-Catholic.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 03:22:11 PM »

Well take a look at who the fundamentalist Republicans voted for in the 2012 primary...Rick Santorum.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 08:54:39 PM »

Well take a look at who the fundamentalist Republicans voted for in the 2012 primary...Rick Santorum.

...after they'd exhausted every other conceivable alternative to Mitt Romney.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 09:04:41 PM »

Non-denominational.

Your church does not qualify as fundis, so that is not relevant. No one said liberal or mainline Christians were anti-Catholic.

Some still are but in a different sense; they tend to hate the Catholic Church because they (the anti-Catholic ones; not all mainliners) hate its teachings not because of the sort of wild conspiracy theories the Fundies seem to come up with.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »

Right, but the obvious reason why isn't because Santorum was Catholic, but because he was clearly a terrible candidate. If they were so opposed to Catholics they would've never considered him and would've decided to just settle on Bachmann or someone, sure an awful candidate, but not really much worse than Santorum all things considered.

But besides that, let's consider that the SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE is a Republican Catholic. So that alone makes it pretty absurd to argue that the Republican Party is anti-Catholic, or even that all Republicans are Protestant.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2015, 11:06:57 PM »

Right, but the obvious reason why isn't because Santorum was Catholic, but because he was clearly a terrible candidate. If they were so opposed to Catholics they would've never considered him and would've decided to just settle on Bachmann or someone, sure an awful candidate, but not really much worse than Santorum all things considered.

But besides that, let's consider that the SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE is a Republican Catholic. So that alone makes it pretty absurd to argue that the Republican Party is anti-Catholic, or even that all Republicans are Protestant.

The Republican Party isn't anti-Catholic. However, there are some Evangelicals in it who are, certainly a minority.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies