Vatican likely to end divorcee communion ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:01:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Vatican likely to end divorcee communion ban
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vatican likely to end divorcee communion ban  (Read 1601 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2005, 12:30:46 PM »

Rome - The Vatican, in response to growing expectations of many Roman Catholics, is likely to consider lifting the Church's ban on communion for divorcees, a senior cardinal was quoted Saturday as saying.

"It is a delicate issue which the Church will have to discuss, question and confront itself with," Spain's Cardinal Julian Herranz told Italy's La Repubblica daily.

The Church will take "into account the expectations, the many social, theological and human nuances linked to such an important issue," the cardinal said.

The paper reported that prior to his election Pope Benedict XVI himself had prepared a draft document on lifting the ban on divorcees receiving communion imposed by the Church, which does not recognize divorce.

http://www.iol.co.za/
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 12:54:12 PM »

And I thought Ratzinger was considered Conservative?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 01:02:10 PM »

And I thought Ratzinger was considered Conservative?

^^^
Banana Republic
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 06:31:13 PM »

That's what happens when you listen to the media.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 06:35:30 PM »

Well he still said Protestants are "deficient" and not fully Christian, so I still sure as hell don't like him.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 06:37:01 PM »

Well he still said Protestants are "deficient" and not fully Christian, so I still sure as hell don't like him.

I'm sure the feeling is mutual. Wink
Banana Republic
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 06:42:14 PM »

He said Protestant churches are "deficient". You must think that other churches are deficient or you wouldn't belong to the one you do.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 06:44:24 PM »

No, it's just because I was raised in it.
Banana Republic
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 06:46:15 PM »

No, it's just because I was raised in it.

So you don't think that Jerry Falwell's brand of Baptism is deficient? I find that hard to believe, and don't try to convince me otherwise because I won't believe you.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 10:42:11 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2005, 10:46:16 PM by Vincent »

Do you not think the catholic church is "deficient".

Anyways from your own church leader

"Her confidence was seconded by none other than Bishop Mark Hanson, leader of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and head of the Lutheran World Federation, a global organization headquartered in Geneva. "I'm hopeful for Lutheran-Roman Catholic relationships under this papacy," Hanson says."

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/165/story_16543_2.html?rnd=88

"As Pope Benedict XVI prepares to assume his high spiritual and temporal responsibilities, The Lutheran World Federation - A Communion of Churches accompanies him with the prayer that he will be given the grace to continue the ministry of his predecessors in a process of steady renewal, for the benefit of the church universal, and of humanity. "

http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=59827&src=0

It seems that the bulk of the E.L.C.A. isnt really all that nasty towards the new pope, eh?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 11:38:12 PM »

I don't think it's "deficient", I just don't like the way it does things.

As for those statements, it's basic diplomatic courtesy, much like Bush wouldn't openly attack a newly elected leader in another country even if it wasn't his preference and Kerry would be the same way. I doubt any Protestant leaders, outside of lunatics like Ian Paisley will trash him, for now at least. He's laid off on the anti-Protestant statements since he was elected as well unsuprisingly.

Really though it's not that huge of an issue to me as it's not as if he can order an Inquisition or something. But I can tell from his extreme conservatism and blasting of the gay marriage law in Spain that I most likely will not like the guy, not that I was expecting a Pope of my liking to be chosen (what are the odds of a Communist-sympathizing liberation theologist?)
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 12:11:48 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2005, 12:13:55 AM by Vincent »

I don't think it's "deficient", I just don't like the way it does things.

As for those statements, it's basic diplomatic courtesy, much like Bush wouldn't openly attack a newly elected leader in another country even if it wasn't his preference and Kerry would be the same way. I doubt any Protestant leaders, outside of lunatics like Ian Paisley will trash him, for now at least. He's laid off on the anti-Protestant statements since he was elected as well unsuprisingly.

Really though it's not that huge of an issue to me as it's not as if he can order an Inquisition or something. But I can tell from his extreme conservatism and blasting of the gay marriage law in Spain that I most likely will not like the guy, not that I was expecting a Pope of my liking to be chosen (what are the odds of a Communist-sympathizing liberation theologist?)

That makes sense, I guess. I just think the guy should be given a break in his first week.

Back on topic, I do hope this change does come, as I know some people who would be positively affected.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 07:06:45 AM »

Maybe Protestants are "deficient" because the majority of them were founded in heresy.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 07:15:08 AM »

Maybe Protestants are "deficient" because the majority of them were founded in heresy.

At least part of the reason for the founding of the Protestant Church was the moral bankruptcy of the Catholic Church generally in the 16th century.

If there is a God, I'm sure he didn't mind them standing up to the moral failings and sins of the Catholic Church.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 07:16:33 AM »

At least part of the reason for the founding of the Protestant Church was the moral bankruptcy of the Catholic Church generally in the 16th century.

If there is a God, I'm sure he didn't mind them standing up to the moral failings and sins of the Catholic Church.

I agree, the church did have some corruption at the time. But I doubt that Martin Luther intended to create what eventually happened with the protestants.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 04:30:31 PM »

What is or is not heresy is, of course, a debatable point. It could conceivably be argued that the Roman Church is not the "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church," since the See of Rome has ceased to be in communion with the patriarchal Sees of Constantinople, Jerusalem, Antioch, and Alexandria. It could also be argued that the assertion that certain doctrines endorsed by the Roman Church, such as the filioque, are heretical.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 05:57:39 PM »

Or... maybe a great deal of religious leaders are deficient as they try to make faux complexities out of the rather simple messages of Christ's life - love one another, and his death in exchange for our sins.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 10:10:25 PM »

Or... maybe a great deal of religious leaders are deficient as they try to make faux complexities out of the rather simple messages of Christ's life - love one another, and his death in exchange for our sins.

wow, you for once I completely agree with you!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies