South African Election Maps and Stats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:52:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  South African Election Maps and Stats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: South African Election Maps and Stats  (Read 17599 times)
Kitteh
drj101
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »

Not to leave Hash to do this thread all by himself, here's my contribution:

Something on rural KwaZulu-Natal would be great, actually.

Here are the 2011 municipals by ward in Zululand district. Zululand is composed of five local municipalities: Ulundi, Nongoma, Abaquluisi, uPhongolo, and eDumbe.

Here's the totals by municipality:

Ulundi
IFP: 59% of the vote, 21 ward seats, 7 PR list seats, 28 seats total
NFP 28% of the vote, 3 ward, 10 PR, 13 total
ANC 12% of the vote, 0 ward , 6 PR, 6 total

Nongoma
NFP 45% of the vote, 13 ward, 6 PR, 19 total
IFP: 40% of the vote, 6 ward, 9 PR, 17 total
ANC 14% of the vote, 0 ward , 6 PR, 6 total

Abaquluisi
ANC 39% of the vote, 10 ward , 7 PR, 17 total
IFP: 35% of the vote, 10 ward, 6 PR, 16 total
NFP 16% of the vote, 0 ward, 7 PR, 7 total
DA 7% of the vote, 2 ward, 1 PR, 3 total
Owethu Resident's Association 2% of the vote, 0 ward, 1 PR, 1 total <--idk what this is

uPhongolo
ANC 40% of the vote, 7 ward , 4 PR, 11 total
NFP 29% of the vote, 4 ward, 4 PR, 8 total
IFP: 26% of the vote, 3 ward, 4 PR, 7 total
DA 5% of the vote, 0 ward, 1 PR, 1 total

eDumbe
NFP 51% of the vote, 6 ward, 2 PR, 8 total
ANC 28% of the vote, 2 ward , 2 PR, 4 total
IFP: 16% of the vote, 0 ward, 2 PR, 2 total
DA 4% of the vote, 0 ward, 1 PR, 1 total

A few random notes:

*Since these are technically independent elections in each municipality, there's a lot of differences between municipalities here. In Ulundi the ANC was a non-factor while the same was true for the IFP in eDumbe.

*The two DA wards are in the white/Afrikaner outpost of Vryheid which for a short time was the capital of the Nieuwe Republiek Boer state. The DA did extremely bad otherwise, obviously. Most of their other votes came from other scattered white villages.

*There aren't really any demographic differences between places that vote IFP/NFP/ANC (all of them 99.9% zulu, extremely poor and young), but it doesn't seem totally random either. It does seem as if the ANC did slightly better in the towns/villages while the IFP did better in the hinterland. As always I'm sure that a lot of it was personal/local factors.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »

And the other place I have been interested in doing, Midvaal, just outside of Joburg in Gauteng:

Midvaal is the only municipality the DA won outside of the Western Cape and Baviaans right on the border with WC in the Eastern Cape (they're in coalition w/ COPE in a couple of municipalities in the Northern Cape IIRC). It's also 58% black and 39% white, which makes it the only majority-black district the DA controls. Midvaal is mostly wealthy/middle class suburbs of Johannesburg, with some townships scattered around. It looks like the DA won Midvaal because the ANC took "only" about 85% of the black vote while the DA won maybe 10% of the black vote plus 96-7% of the whites (a few whites voted for the VF+, which got 1 PR seat). A good result for them but not too surprising because there are probably a fair amount of middle class blacks in Midvaal.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2012, 08:09:52 PM »

The KZN stuff is great, diolch!
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2012, 09:20:26 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2012, 09:30:39 PM by drj101 »

I was sick today and had a lot of free time on my hands, so...more KZN! Here's Uthungulu district, which stretches from the town of Richard's Bay inland to Zuma's home in Nkandla.

There's a definite pattern here of the ANC doing better in the urban/coastal areas and the IFP and NFP doing better in the rural inland. The ANC's best area was in the townships near Richard's Bay. They got around 80% of the vote there. The DA took Richard's Bay itself which is the beautiful, conveniently located seaside areas sectioned off for whites and some indians during apartheid while the majority of the (black) population lives in townships on the outskirts as always. Obviously the DA was totally irrelevant outside of the little white enclaves.

Two wards were won by indie candidates. I have no idea who they are but the fact that they're right next to each other probably isn't a coincidence.

Also, there was a by-election in Nkandla ward 4 last week. Here's the updated map with those results:

The IFP took ward 4 from the ANC with at 16% swing. Pretty good result for them, it got some attention in the national media, since this is Zuma's home region and the center of a controversy recently about Zuma using state money to build a big house there.
Jimross187
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »

I would like to request maps for Northern Cape or rural Western Cape. Municipal and/or National. Thanks guys!
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2014, 08:51:06 PM »

Bump for good measure

Here's Mangaung MM (Bloemfontein) in 2011

Port Elizabeth in 2009

PE was one of COPE's best major cities in 2009, so...
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2015, 03:11:29 PM »

I don't believe that I've posted this on the forum yet. Xahar has a signed, full-size poster of this map - it was created per his request about six months ago.

Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2015, 05:07:49 PM »

Wow, great maps! But terrible racial polarization.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies