OH-Sen: Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld likely running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:55:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Sen: Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld likely running
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Author Topic: OH-Sen: Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld likely running  (Read 38046 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: May 04, 2015, 07:25:26 PM »

How does getting crushed 3-1 in a primary help his career again?

Name recognition!1!!

But it doesn't help that this is likely to be a very low turnout primary. Didn't Strickland also represent an Appalachian district? I don't really see then how Sittenfeld gets protest votes from them (because of soshulist obummer) if Strickland represented them.
Ohio Democratic primaries always have low turnout, but yeah he did used to represent a district that extended from Youngstown on down to the Kentucky border. Strickland will carry Appalachia in the primary in a blowout no matter what.

It wouldn't be worthwhile for Sittenfeld to campaign in Appalachia in the primary anyways. Just to provide some reasons behind this, 1) Democrats there aren't the Democrats who Sittenfeld wants to identify with, 2) He's naturally a bad fit for SE Ohio, 3) He's running against Ted Strickland and 4) The region doesn't supply all that many votes due to weak registration/turnout numbers (for example, in Strickland's 2006 Democratic primary he got roughly only 16-18% of his total overall votes from Southeast Ohio). It might be best for him to avoid Central Ohio as well (that's very solid, unbreakable Strickland territory).

Sittenfeld's best strategy as long as he stays in is to continue campaigning on college campuses with the youth voting block, and to focus on the two regions where he has the strongest potential of doing well (Southwest and Northeast Ohio). Most of his donors and support are coming from SW Ohio (to be expected) and Strickland under-performs all the time up here in NE Ohio with Democratic base votes, so if I were Sittenfeld I would take full advantage of that.

That aside, he has a floor of about 30% and a ceiling of 40% when all's said and done.

He has a floor of 12% and a ceiling of 28%.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #251 on: May 04, 2015, 09:36:58 PM »

Name recognition!1!!

But it doesn't help that this is likely to be a very low turnout primary. Didn't Strickland also represent an Appalachian district? I don't really see then how Sittenfeld gets protest votes from them (because of soshulist obummer) if Strickland represented them.
Ohio Democratic primaries always have low turnout, but yeah he did used to represent a district that extended from Youngstown on down to the Kentucky border. Strickland will carry Appalachia in the primary in a blowout no matter what.

It wouldn't be worthwhile for Sittenfeld to campaign in Appalachia in the primary anyways. Just to provide some reasons behind this, 1) Democrats there aren't the Democrats who Sittenfeld wants to identify with, 2) He's naturally a bad fit for SE Ohio, 3) He's running against Ted Strickland and 4) The region doesn't supply all that many votes due to weak registration/turnout numbers (for example, in Strickland's 2006 Democratic primary he got roughly only 16-18% of his total overall votes from Southeast Ohio). It might be best for him to avoid Central Ohio as well (that's very solid, unbreakable Strickland territory).

Sittenfeld's best strategy as long as he stays in is to continue campaigning on college campuses with the youth voting block, and to focus on the two regions where he has the strongest potential of doing well (Southwest and Northeast Ohio). Most of his donors and support are coming from SW Ohio (to be expected) and Strickland under-performs all the time up here in NE Ohio with Democratic base votes, so if I were Sittenfeld I would take full advantage of that.

That aside, he has a floor of about 30% and a ceiling of 40% when all's said and done.

If TEACHOUT can get 34%, so can Sittenfeld.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #252 on: May 04, 2015, 10:18:48 PM »

Name recognition!1!!

Arbitrarily choosing a race for a different office from a different state with very different political dynamics isn't really comparable.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2015, 10:30:53 PM »

Name recognition!1!!

Ted Strickland is hardly Andrew Cuomo though in fairness Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #254 on: May 04, 2015, 11:22:01 PM »

Name recognition!1!!

I'd say he has a floor of 20% and a ceiling of 35% (moderate hero)
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #255 on: May 05, 2015, 03:55:41 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2015, 03:57:19 PM by LeBron FitzGerald »

Name recognition!1!!

Arbitrarily choosing a race for a different office from a different state with very different political dynamics isn't really comparable.
Wulfric's example isn't the best. For a better example, if you look back at Strickland's 2006 Democratic primary race, his opponent Bryan Flannery got 21% of the vote against Strickland. He won that 21% despite jumping in only a few months before the actual primary race, raising just $100K-$200K, and as a result he had no chance to get his name out there with Ohio Democratic voters.

Sittenfeld is a stronger candidate/fundraiser than Flannery was and as opposed to 2006, there's obviously more reluctantly now by some Democratic voters about backing Strickland.

Anything at or below a Flannery performance would require Sittenfeld to not even try to campaign. At the bare minimum, he'll likely get around 30% of the vote.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #256 on: May 05, 2015, 05:58:19 PM »

Name recognition!1!!

Wulfric's example isn't the best. For a better example, if you look back at Strickland's 2006 Democratic primary race, his opponent Bryan Flannery got 21% of the vote against Strickland. He won that 21% despite jumping in only a few months before the actual primary race, raising just $100K-$200K, and as a result he had no chance to get his name out there with Ohio Democratic voters.

Sittenfeld is a stronger candidate/fundraiser than Flannery was and as opposed to 2006, there's obviously more reluctantly now by some Democratic voters about backing Strickland.

Anything at or below a Flannery performance would require Sittenfeld to not even try to campaign. At the bare minimum, he'll likely get around 30% of the vote.

You're basically the only one feeling more reluctant about supporting Strickland Tongue
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #257 on: May 05, 2015, 06:02:22 PM »

Name recognition!1!!

You're basically the only one feeling more reluctant about supporting Strickland Tongue
Because Atlas is totally representative of the OH Dems as a whole. Right Roll Eyes
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #258 on: May 05, 2015, 06:07:10 PM »

Name recognition!1!!

Because Atlas is totally representative of the OH Dems as a whole. Right Roll Eyes

If anything Lebron's existance means the forum has a strong pro-Sittenfield bias relative to Ohio Democrats.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #259 on: May 05, 2015, 07:22:30 PM »

Name recognition!1!!

If anything Lebron's existance means the forum has a strong pro-Sittenfield bias relative to Ohio Democrats.
Dude, if anything this is a pro-Strickland forum. I'm like the only Sittenfeld supporter on here. Tongue

There's Ohio Democratic leaders (notably former state party chairs like Jim Ruvolo (who was a very successful chairman who knew how to run the party back in the 1980s), very successful veteran strategists like Jerry Austin who's backing Sittenfeld, Ohio Supreme Court Justice Bill O'Neill, etc.) and they don't want a retread as our candidate after they saw how Lee Fisher blew over. Even our own ODP Chair David Pepper personally doesn't want to back Strickland.

There's voters who feel the same way about Strickland - whether it's because of concerns with his age and his past record he brings to the table, some that believe a new face should be given a try, or others that believe that he doesn't deserve another chance after he couldn't get the job done against Kasich.

Ohio Democrats will nominate Strickland, but the fact that you think every single Ohio Democrat likes Strickland reflects more on the Strickland bias on this forum, more than anything. Sorry to say.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #260 on: May 05, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »

I wonder how much the Sittenfeld campaign is paying LeBron.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #261 on: May 05, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »

Not as much as Ed Fitzgerald, but close.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #262 on: May 05, 2015, 08:10:57 PM »

Ugh, really? You guys are honestly just as bad as the anti-Hillary hacks who attack IceSpear for his Hillary fanboyism. Tongue
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #263 on: May 05, 2015, 08:56:57 PM »

Ugh, really? You guys are honestly just as bad as the anti-Hillary hacks who attack IceSpear for his Hillary fanboyism. Tongue

As an anti-Hillary hack, at least I can say that a "Hillary fanboy" makes a modicum of sense to be. The same cannot be said for a Fitzgerald/Sittenfeld hack, though.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #264 on: May 05, 2015, 10:13:30 PM »

As an anti-Hillary hack, at least I can say that a "Hillary fanboy" makes a modicum of sense to be. The same cannot be said for a Fitzgerald/Sittenfeld hack, though.
You also have to keep in mind though I supported Sittenfeld from the beginning when Sittenfeld had a very good chance of winning the Democratic nomination.

The reason why I'm still a Sittenfeld fanboy (and will write his name in, in the general) is because his views are the best (ex. he addresses the student loan debt and equal rights issues more often and better than the other two do), because I've already donated to him and am campaigning for him, and Sittenfeld would have been a much-needed breath of fresh air to the Senate.

That makes your vote worthless in terms of electing a democrat to the U.S. senate - the more sittenfeld supporters write in his name in the general, the less votes Portman needs to win. You're sounding like you'd actually prefer Portman over Strickland. Wow.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #265 on: May 05, 2015, 11:48:19 PM »

Name recognition!1!!

Teachout got 34% because she had a vision that was actually different than Cuomo's and was able to capitalize on dissatisfaction with Cuomo's policies. Apart from Adam, P.G. Sittenfeld, and probably Sittenfeld's mom, nobody else has much against Strickland or sees a truly different vision between the two to care. Sittenfeld will get maybe 15-20% on name recognition and random voting but that's about it. As much as Adam will claim otherwise, he doesn't offer a vision that looks much different than Strickland's to the average voter. Teachout did.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #266 on: May 06, 2015, 12:22:55 AM »

You also have to keep in mind though I supported Sittenfeld from the beginning when Sittenfeld had a very good chance of winning the Democratic nomination.

The reason why I'm still a Sittenfeld fanboy (and will write his name in, in the general) is because his views are the best (ex. he addresses the student loan debt and equal rights issues more often and better than the other two do), because I've already donated to him and am campaigning for him, and Sittenfeld would have been a much-needed breath of fresh air to the Senate.

literally the worst
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #267 on: May 06, 2015, 01:26:09 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2015, 05:15:50 PM by X »

Name recognition!1!!

Dude, if anything this is a pro-Strickland forum. I'm like the only Sittenfeld supporter on here. Tongue

There's Ohio Democratic leaders (notably former state party chairs like Jim Ruvolo (who was a very successful chairman who knew how to run the party back in the 1980s), very successful veteran strategists like Jerry Austin who's backing Sittenfeld, Ohio Supreme Court Justice Bill O'Neill, etc.) and they don't want a retread as our candidate after they saw how Lee Fisher blew over. Even our own ODP Chair David Pepper personally doesn't want to back Strickland.

There's voters who feel the same way about Strickland - whether it's because of concerns with his age and his past record he brings to the table, some that believe a new face should be given a try, or others that believe that he doesn't deserve another chance after he couldn't get the job done against Kasich.

Ohio Democrats will nominate Strickland, but the fact that you think every single Ohio Democrat likes Strickland reflects more on the Strickland bias on this forum, more than anything. Sorry to say.

Never heard of Ruvolo, Austin and those other random strategists just want to milk Sittenfield for all the money they get from him (if they were real players, they'd be backing Strickland), O'Neill is a whacktivist who got lucky in 2012, and Pepper is pretty solidly in Strickland's camp.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2015, 12:30:19 PM »

Sittenfeld is staying in and gleefully playing the age card.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #269 on: May 14, 2015, 01:08:13 PM »

His political adviser must be LeBron.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #270 on: May 14, 2015, 01:18:37 PM »

Would be dumb to piss away his future by enraging locals/DC/Clintons.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #271 on: May 14, 2015, 04:09:07 PM »

Sittenfield needs to do what is best not just for beating Portman but also for his own political future, which is and continues to be his immediate withdrawal from the race.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #272 on: May 14, 2015, 04:24:07 PM »

Sittenfeld will get Foster'd by Hillary. 

Wow that joke was a lot funnier when another poster made it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #273 on: May 14, 2015, 04:53:32 PM »

Would be dumb to piss away his future by enraging locals/DC/Clintons.

That ship sailed a long time ago...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #274 on: May 14, 2015, 05:00:26 PM »

So q is how much damage.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies