Spanish elections and politics (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:55:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Spanish elections and politics (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spanish elections and politics  (Read 372717 times)
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« on: January 09, 2016, 01:36:04 PM »

The agreement. Holy . Baixada de pantalons.

An English summary would be greatly appreciated. (Though from what I can tell, the "2 defectors" part certainly seems to be in it - any reason for this?)
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 02:12:50 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2016, 02:15:06 PM by aross »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Basically, the CUP agrees to support Puigdemont, to assume that all the problems of the last 3 months are their fault, for 2 of their MPs to join JxS and to purge their parliamentary group of anti-Mas deputies (so at least 4 or 5 out of 10) in exchange for Mas' resignation. Oh! And to never ever not support the current Government.

All meanwhile Mas might make a return after a few months, since he's going to focus on 'rebuilding' Convergencia.

Thanks!
That's... mental, surely? Points 4 and 5 read like something from a Maoist self-criticism session.
Any indication as to whether the anti-Mas MPs are even willing to resign? Or do CUP use the tried and tested "undated letters of resignation" technique?

Oh yeah, and if the CUP are meant to become JxSí's satellite party anyway, why even bother with the two defectors?
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:13:22 PM »

So Puigdemont has been invested, with 8 yes votes and 2 abstentions from CUP, which seems low. Any news about the resistance to the deal from within CUP?

Oh, and apparently there has been some controversy about a speech Puigdemont gave in 2013 where he pledged to "expel the invaders from Catalonia, as they were in Belgium (? - I can only guess this is some kind of reference to Flanders)
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 02:49:32 PM »

Ending the digital selection system of candidates might help.
What's problematic about it? Seems like it would make it harder for corrupt cliques to stitch things up. (If I understand you correctly - you mean party members choosing candidates in an online vote, right?)
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 03:14:45 PM »

Ending the digital selection system of candidates might help.
What's problematic about it? Seems like it would make it harder for corrupt cliques to stitch things up. (If I understand you correctly - you mean party members choosing candidates in an online vote, right?)

No sorry, I was being cheeky. Digital in this sense means the old-fashioned meaning of digital, from Latin 'digitus', finger. Appointment through finger-pointing by your predecessor.
Thanks, that makes sense! I have actually heard of the expression, it just didn't translate well.
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »

What has changed to make a Podemos-IU alliance possible/likely, and what potential problems remain?
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:24:07 PM »

Thanks for a very informative and clearly high effort answer!
I had heard about the name issue and indeed that it was what stopped an alliance for the last elections; was that really all there was or would it be fair to say that it was at least partly an excuse to hide the bigger divides between the parties? Oh, and is my impression that this cleavage within IU is based on PCE vs the "alternative" left /working-class vs middle-class support correct?

Why is Errejón opposed or at least critical when he has otherwise been the one most in favour of closer relations with the rest of the left?
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 07:59:42 AM »

Podemos - IU deal approved by the IU membership (84.5% yes, 13.1% no, 2.4% abstention). Turnout was 28%. The deal will apparently be officially announced on the 15th to celebrate the 5th anniversary of the 15-M.
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 10:57:36 AM »

Iglesias now brilliantly trolling the PSOE by proposing a deal for the Senate election. No news on whether it would be called the Frente Popular. Sanchez has unsurprisingly said no.
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 02:51:13 PM »

Españoles...Sanchez ha dimitido.
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 07:40:29 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2016, 10:38:45 PM by aross »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ugh. On what basis?
Because their statute of autonomy requires them to 'preserve cultural heritage', making the law ultra vires. Seriously. Also Catalans smell.
The case was, of course, brought by the PPC.
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 07:30:16 AM »

How many PSOE deputies do you expect to vote No?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies