Spanish elections and politics (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:37:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Spanish elections and politics (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spanish elections and politics  (Read 371020 times)
swl
France

« on: January 26, 2015, 06:48:12 AM »

It seems to me that Podemos has also some a lot in common with the M5S. Are they organized like a classic party (Syriza) or do they try and use online/direct democracy like the Five Stars Movement?
swl
France

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 04:39:16 AM »

There is only one thing to look at: will the independists reach the majority of 68 seats? The polls have been consistently tights, with them getting between 65 and 70 seats, so there is a lot of suspense. I am looking forward to the result!
I wonder how the date of the vote  (on a working day instead of Sunday) will influence the result.
swl
France

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 05:51:39 AM »

8 of the newly elected MPs are in jail or will be jailed if they come back to Spain (all independentists). I am not sure if they can plan any role in the Parliament without being physically present.
swl
France

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 07:51:27 AM »

Results by city:
http://www.elmundo.es/grafico/cataluna/2017/12/21/5a3bbcd7468aeb2b4a8b45af.html

You can select "bloques" or "partidos" to see which bloc (independentist vs constitutionalist) or which party arrived first in each city

swl
France

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 03:12:24 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Why? From what I see it has a strong identity compatible with independetism. Also interesting to see that the Raval is the only district in the centre that put Cs in first position. Possible interpretation is that immigrants do not support independence.
swl
France

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 08:22:27 AM »

But there's an even weirder candidacy. That of Manuel Valls, former PM of France, to run for Barcelona mayor for Cs! Why would he do that? He has apparently participated in several unionist speeches and the like but still it's a really weird candidacy. Now, he is only considering, but the offer from Cs is there.

And yes, under EU law this would indeed be legal as any EU citizen can run and vote in local elections in whichever EU country they live in. So as long as he lives in Barcelona and registers, he would be ok. And he does have ties to Spain, after all he was born in Barcelona to a Spanish man (exiled in Paris because of the civil war) and had Spanish citizenship until 1982.
In France any EU citizen can run and be elected to city/town councils, but the top job (mayor) can only go to a French citizen. Isn't there such type of restriction in Spain?
It would be historical moment for the EU if it happens...
swl
France

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »

Apparently, the Catalan parliament will vote in the next days for Quim Torra as president of the regional govermnent. No idea who he was until today, but the opposition complains about his "sectarian" profile, and he has stated that Puigdemont remains the "legitimate president of the country".
swl
France

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 09:57:45 AM »

None of the parties who voted for the no-confidence want elections right now, the PSOE and Podemos are too low in the polls, and Basques and Catalans are afraid of a Cs victory. So I assume a PSOE government can survive until the first big obstacle  (the 2019 budget for example).
swl
France

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 07:59:10 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2018, 08:03:01 AM by swl »

Seems like every Spanish politician is being accused of cheating on their master/doctorate thesis. Funny and ridiculous in the same time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies