Liberal Places/Conservative Places
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:03:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Liberal Places/Conservative Places
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Liberal Places/Conservative Places  (Read 31536 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2004, 10:30:13 PM »

Flint is populist (very poor, very rundown, very leftwing)

Flint is very left-wing economically (and 83% for Gore in 2000), but socially moderate. Other cities like this are Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee...

Rustbelt populism

Most of the Populist cities in the Rust Belt are more economically liberal than socially conservative.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2004, 10:33:24 PM »

Why do people these days assume that economic liberalism equals social conservatism?

If you spread economically liberal views, then paradoxically, people will attack you as a raging rightist.

It makes not one bit of sense.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2004, 09:51:18 AM »

Flint is very left-wing economically (and 83% for Gore in 2000), but socially moderate. Other cities like this are Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee...

Rustbelt populism

Most of the Populist cities in the Rust Belt are more economically liberal than socially conservative.

True Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2004, 04:51:23 PM »

Rustbelt populism

True Smiley

interestingly most of my anti-populist places are more socially liberal than economically conservative.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2004, 12:48:34 AM »

A few from NM:

Liberal: Santa Fe, NM - they have a GREEN PARTY city councilor! Taos is probably Liberal as well...

Conservative: Los Alamos, Farmington, any city except maybe Carlsbad in the SE...

Albuquerque is very riven - Liberals, Conservatives, Populists and Libertarians ALL have sway over different chunks of the area!

I think Las Cruces is also split, judging from the State House and Senate...

I've said it before...NM is very, very disunited...
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2005, 08:29:24 PM »

BUMP

Liberal places in Oregon: Portland, Eugene, Corvallis, a few touristy coastal towns.

Conservative: Eastern ranching counties, southern logging counties, rural Willamette Valley counties, Salem, and everything else.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2005, 01:56:11 AM »

more populist cities:

Duluth, MN
St. Cloud, MN
Sioux City, IA
St. Louis, MO
Eau Claire, WI

how about anti-populist cities/areas then? (the exact opposite of populist)

Bloomington, MN
Las Vegas, NV
Phoenix, AZ
Long Island, NY
North NJ
San Diego, CA
Manchester, NH
Bridgeport, CT

also note, conservatives in Minneapolis are VERY rare species. All rightwing protesters there come from the rural western parts and outer suburbs. Whenever I drive there, I refuse to even stop for gas until I hit Bloomington because I loathe the outer suburbs so much.

I wouldn't consider Long Island antipopulist.  When you say anti-populist I assume you mean socially liberal, economically conservative.  Long Island is Socially liberal (although not as much as the city, butpretty much economically moderate.  On the Political Compass I would put LI somewhere in the range of -.5/-1. economically -3.5-4.0 socially.  So you could say left leaning anti-populist maybe?
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2005, 03:04:02 PM »

Monmouth County New Jersey is about -2 Social 6 Economic. That fits the definition. My town is similar economically but more socially l.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2005, 07:24:29 PM »

Liberal - Santa Cruz, CA

Conservative - Madera, CA
danwxman

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2005, 01:34:11 AM »

How about populist cities:

Populist Cities

Pittsburgh, PA
Buffalo, NY
Chicago, IL
Detroit, MI
Flint, MI
Birmingham, AL

Lots more though

Southwestern Pennsylvania is populist...I would argue that the city of Pittsburgh is rather socially liberal compared to those cities on your list (with the exception of Chicago).l
danwxman

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2005, 01:37:28 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2005, 01:46:32 AM by danwxman »

In Pennsylvania:

Liberal cities/Populist Metros:
Pittsburgh (though there are many emerging conservative suburbs in Westmoreland and Washington counties)

Populist cities/metros:
Johnstown
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
Erie

Populist cities/conservative metros:
Altoona
York (large hispanic population makes the city populist, suburbs are extremely Republican)
Lancaster
Williamsport

Liberal cities/conservative suburbs
Harrisburg (mixture of social liberalism and some populism, arguably the most liberal place between Philly and Pittsburgh, inner-ring suburbs trending Democrat, exurban areas are *not* as Republican as you would think, some populist elements there as well)
State College (Penn State is a rather conservative school by college standards, but it's still liberal)

Liberal cities/liberal-moderate suburbs
Philadelphia
Allentown (NEW YAWKERS)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2005, 05:58:37 PM »

Allentown (NEW YAWKERS)

It really depends. I know the area pretty well and certain areas of the Allentown suburbs are socially and economically conservative.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2005, 09:16:49 PM »

Allentown (NEW YAWKERS)

It really depends. I know the area pretty well and certain areas of the Allentown suburbs are socially and economically conservative.

Simple answer.... Exurbia.  Socially and economically conservative people are moving there from Philly and NYC.  dan, have you ever been to that area.  Granted, it's fairly liberal/populist in the Valley with all the old steel mill communities and the universities, however once you cross the South Mountain Range (I think that's right) into places like the Saucon Valley and Williams Twp., the politics change drastically.  I was at Lehigh for the 2000 election.  O'Brien signs were aplenty in the Valley yet Toomey signs dominated the other side of the mountain with all the new developments.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2005, 02:37:35 PM »

A few from NM:

Liberal: Santa Fe, NM - they have a GREEN PARTY city councilor! Taos is probably Liberal as well...

Conservative: Los Alamos, Farmington, any city except maybe Carlsbad in the SE...

Albuquerque is very riven - Liberals, Conservatives, Populists and Libertarians ALL have sway over different chunks of the area!

I wonder why Los Alamos, with its academics and scientists, would be conserivative as it is? Scientists are on average pretty liberal.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2005, 08:04:19 PM »

A few from NM:

I wonder why Los Alamos, with its academics and scientists, would be conserivative as it is? Scientists are on average pretty liberal.

These are defense scientists, and not only that, nuclear defense scientists. The anti-military and anti-nuclear attitudes of some on the left have probably pulled them to the right. That, and they have to deal with the New Mexico Corruption Zone (Rio Arriba, Taos, Santa Fe, San Miguel). Wink I'd say they probably have a libertarian tinge to them, actually, but I can't swear to that.
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2006, 09:45:53 PM »

In my state.

Most Democrat:
Detroit
Flint
Ann Arbor
Southeastern Oakland County
Ypsilanti
Saginaw
Downriver Wayne County burbs
The UP (Local level only)

Liberal:
Ann Arbor
East Lansing
Kalamazoo
Ypsilanti
Lansing (North)

Populist
Detroit
Flint
Saginaw
Bay City
Lansing (South)
The UP (Right Wing Populist)
The Thumb (Right wing Populist)
Downriver Wayne County
Macomb County (Southern left-populist, northern more right-populist)
St Clair County

Most Republican:
Ottawa County (Dutch Reform Christians)
Allegan County
Grand Rapids suburbs (City is narrowly democrat)
Northern Macomb County
Western and Northern Oakland County
Livingston County
Hillsdale
Most rural areas

Most Conservative:
Same as most Republican areas
Most Populist areas (Social)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2006, 03:20:05 AM »

In my state.

Most Democrat:
Detroit
Flint
Ann Arbor
Ypsilanti
Saginaw

Most Republican:

Livingston County

Shouldn't Lake County be listed as Most Democrat? In some elections its the only one on the lower Peninsula besides Wayne and Washtenaw to vote Democrat. All the counties around it seem strongly Republican.

What is Livingston County like? It seems like ex-urban Detroit from what I can tell, do you think it will trend Democrat like Oakland, or is it too conservative for that?

Keeweenaw County rules Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2006, 03:36:51 AM »

A few from NM:

These are defense scientists, and not only that, nuclear defense scientists. The anti-military and anti-nuclear attitudes of some on the left have probably pulled them to the right. That, and they have to deal with the New Mexico Corruption Zone (Rio Arriba, Taos, Santa Fe, San Miguel). Wink I'd say they probably have a libertarian tinge to them, actually, but I can't swear to that.

^^^ Completely mindless liberal bashing.
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2006, 05:42:31 PM »

In my state.

Most Democrat:
Detroit
Flint
Ann Arbor
Ypsilanti
Saginaw

Most Republican:

Livingston County

Shouldn't Lake County be listed as Most Democrat? In some elections its the only one on the lower Peninsula besides Wayne and Washtenaw to vote Democrat. All the counties around it seem strongly Republican.

What is Livingston County like? It seems like ex-urban Detroit from what I can tell, do you think it will trend Democrat like Oakland, or is it too conservative for that?

Keeweenaw County rules Smiley

Lake County (economic lib, social conservative) leans democrat, but it's not a stronghold like it used to be. Posthumus and Bush (04) came close to winning it. Kerry only got 51% there so it's a purple county now. I believe Granholm closed a prison, so it may go GOP in the next election. The Baldwin area will certainly go democrat (large black population there), but the county itself may flip. It'll be close however.

Livingston's an exurban (about 1/2 suburban, 1/2 rural) county between Detroit and Lansing. It's not going democrat anytime soon and both economic and social conservative (and very pro-gun).

Oakland doesn't start treading democrat until East of I-275 (Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield - high Jewish populations) Novi MIGHT start to switch, but still is about 55% GOP. Oakland's flipped democrat not because of social issues (outside of Royal Oak and Birmingham areas), but because of migrations. Blacks make Southfield more democrat than Pontiac, and many of the Jews there moved to West Bloomfield and to a lesser extent Farmington Hills.

I've never been to Keewenaw County or the Western UP. I've been to Tahquanemon Falls,and that rules. Keewenaw is certainly on the list to visit.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2006, 04:56:32 PM »

A few from NM:

^^^ Completely mindless liberal bashing.

Bullsh**t. Prove it, nut.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2006, 02:27:53 AM »

Liberal: San Francisco, CA
Conservative: Mobile, AL
Libertarian: Las Vegas, NV
Populist: (*guessing*) Little Rock, AR
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2006, 02:53:40 AM »

Liberal: Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal
Populist: Hamilton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Halifax
Conservative: Calgary, Edmonton
Libertarian (leaning): Mississauga, Brampton, Quebec City
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2006, 03:14:20 PM »

I'd hardly call Princeton conservative. Tongue
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2006, 04:27:20 PM »

I'd hardly call Princeton conservative. Tongue

Well, as far as Ivies go, Princeton University is certainly conservative.  Probably not as conservative as Dartmouth, though.

I would think the town is split.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »

In Virginia:

Most liberal places:

Alexandria (Home of Jim Moran, by far the most liberal place in the state)
Pretty much all of Arlington County
Falls Church*
Reston*
Charlottesville and Albemarle County (Thanks to UVA)
Richmond (city, not suburbs)

*Surprisingly, Fairfax County is not as liberal as one would think.  Only some communities are really liberal (Falls Church, Reston, Springfield/Annandale); many are about 50-50 politically (Fairfax City, Vienna, Great Falls, Chantilly/Centreville are like this).  After all, there are two Republican Congressmen here (Frank Wolf and Tom Davis).

Most Conservative Places:

Richmond suburbs (excluding Henrico County) -this would be Chesterfield and Hanover counties
Virginia Beach (Home of Pat Robertson)
Norfolk/Portsmouth/Suffolk
Lynchburg and environs (Home of Jerry Falwell)
Danville and Pittsylvania County
The upper Shenandoah Valley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies