Iceland presidential election, June 25th 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:30:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Iceland presidential election, June 25th 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iceland presidential election, June 25th 2016  (Read 3328 times)
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2016, 11:33:58 AM »

Next Saturday, Iceland elects their next President. Presidential elections have a tendency of being uncontested in Iceland, but this time there are a number of candidates since incumbent President Olafur doesn't run again (he's been around 20 years...). The election is first past the post, to the best of my knowledge.

Candidates are almost always independents in these races, at least they don't show partisan affiliation. There seems to be 4 main candidates :

- Gudni Johannesson, a senior history teacher at the University of Iceland, whose specialty, among others, is... the Icelandic presidency. Wink He seems somewhat progressive, he wants to put through the constitutional reform buried in 2013 by the arrival of the IP+PP government. He currently polls around 50-55 %.

- David Oddsson, Prime Minister for IP in 1991-2004, and perhaps even more symptomatically Governor of Iceland's Central Bank from 2005 to 2009... when he was hired as Morgunbladid editor in chief, one of Iceland's main newspapers... I don't think I need to describe him more, he polls around 16-20 %.

- Andri Snaer Magnason, a prominent author published in 30 countries, seems somewhat environmentalist. Polls 10-15 %.

- Halla Tomasdottir, a businesswoman, founder of Audur Capital, seemingly the only financial firm not having gone bankrupt in 2009, and oriented on empowering women in the financial world. She was among the organisers of the "National Assembly" in 2009, when 1,200 citizens were randomly chosen and 300 other activists gathered to discuss the after-crisis. She seems on the rise with 7-12 %.

There are 5 other minor candidates, including a 3-time candidate peace activist, another author, a humanitarian nurse, an ethnologist-healer, and a protest candidate without any kind of clear ideology (Sturla Jonsson, leader of the... Sturla Jonsson party).

There is no great suspense, but the kind of candidates running makes Iceland an FF country, on and on. Hopefully Oddsson ends 3rd or 4th.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 11:37:08 AM »

Hilarious how Oddson is running. Most politicians with his legacy would probably be living in Bermuda with a big pile of cash.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »

Boring candidates to be honest.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 12:37:59 PM »

If you compare them to Jon Gnarr, yes. Anyway being boring seems to be the whole point of the Presidential election in that country.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »

Next Saturday, Iceland elects their next President. Presidential elections have a tendency of being uncontested in Iceland, but this time there are a number of candidates since incumbent President Olafur doesn't run again (he's been around 20 years...). The election is first past the post, to the best of my knowledge.

Wasn't he reconsidering it some time ago?
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 01:30:35 PM »

Wasn't he reconsidering it some time ago?
Indeed. He had previously said he wouldn't run, then after Panama papers he reconsidered and said he would, then when David Oddsson declared he said he was satisfied with the slate of candidates as it was and withdrew again...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 01:34:56 PM »

Iceland is a bit like Singapore with frequent uncontested presidential elections. The previous President of Singapore was "elected", or rather declared winner by a walkover after the deadline, on both occasions.

I guess that's about the only similarity between Iceland and Singapore.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 01:37:58 PM »

Iceland is a bit like Singapore with frequent uncontested presidential elections. The previous President of Singapore was "elected", or rather declared winner by a walkover after the deadline, on both occasions.

I'd say they both grow bananas and built their economic success on dubious financial operations.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 01:58:46 PM »

Lol at David Oddson running.

This Gudni guy seems to have it in the bag though, if the polls you quoted can be trusted. Does the winner need 50% or just a simple majority.

Man I wish this election was two weeks later, because I'm flying up there in July. Would have been fun to experience first hand, I guess.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 01:59:36 PM »

I'd say they both grow bananas and built their economic success on dubious financial operations.

Don't know about growing bananas, but some people certainly went bananas

Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 05:50:17 PM »

What powers does the Icelandic president even have?
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 06:05:02 PM »

He can summon infinite fish-shooting cannon.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 01:19:48 PM »

He can summon infinite fish-shooting cannon.
I would have answered geothermal power, but your answer is infinitely better, and a golden standard of Atlas humor.

Kalwejt -> bananas are grown in geothermal greenhouses, as it happens.

Cranberry -> can you read ? Wink My OP says it's FPTP.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 03:28:38 PM »

Cranberry -> can you read ? Wink My OP says it's FPTP.

It appears as if I sadly am unable to.

Given that, it's decided anyway already. Say hć to Forsetin Gudni, everyone.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 12:35:16 PM »

Apparently 10% of the population is in France for the game. So turnout will likely be low.
http://icelandreview.com/news/2016/06/24/low-voter-turnout-expected-election
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 08:52:08 AM »

Seems Gudni has it in the bag, but had lost traction in the final days and ends with 38 %, as opposed to businesswoman Halla gaining a lot of traction and ending high at 27 %. David Oddsson seems to get 16 %, but the final results are not in yet.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 03:12:24 AM »

Guđni won the election with 39.1% of the votes. Halla received 27.9%, Andri Snćr 14.3%, Davíđ 13.7% and Sturla 3.5%. The turnout was 75.7%.

Good to see Oddsson finish 4th, I guess.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 12:52:00 AM »

Guðni won the election with 39.1% of the votes. Halla received 27.9%, Andri Snær 14.3%, Davíð 13.7% and Sturla 3.5%. The turnout was 75.7%.

Good to see Oddsson finish 4th, I guess.

Indeed. Decent result all around.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies