What if Cleveland had been reelected in 1888?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:40:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  What if Cleveland had been reelected in 1888?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Cleveland had been reelected in 1888?  (Read 1453 times)
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2014, 12:05:39 PM »

In this scenario, a seemingly trivial occurence-that is, Cleveland carries New York and thus wins reelection-has the potential to completely change the party system.  I say a Republican likely wins in '92 and then gets the blame for the depression, thus potentially ushering in Democrats as the nation's majority party. Potentially no President Theodore Roosevelt.

Actually, I don't think the scenario would necessarily play out like that (will explain more later), but I wanted to get a discussion going.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 05:36:49 AM »

If Cleveland had been reelected in 1888, the Panic of 1893 would have been lessened or maybe even avoided.  That panic was as bad as it was in large part because the Republicans had been inflating the economy with cheap silver for four years and then Cleveland came along and turned the spigot off too fast to get us back on solid gold.  So even if the GOP took back the White House in 1892, they wouldn't have suffered the way the Democrats did.

It's doubtful Cleveland would have been nominated for a third term in 1892.  The rise of the Populists would likely have still occurred, but they may well have ended up allying themselves with the Silver Republicans against the Gold Democrats if the parties had retained their historic preferences concerning coinage.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 06:42:03 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2014, 08:08:34 AM by OC »

The rise of the Adlai Stevenson family would have resulted maybe not a Bryan Jennings or a Prez Wilson. Due to the fact he was Cleveland's VP and would have been nominated and won in 1892. Stevenson just like his grandson were bombarded by the Progressive Republican movement of Eisenhower and Teddy Roosevelt.  

He would have done the same things as Teddy did with the Fair Employment Workplace Rules, like Child Labor Laws, but Womens' Vote or Popular vote for Senate, would have waited another day.

The Democratic party was Populist, but until FDR, it wasnt Reformed, and the present day JFK party.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 02:54:39 AM »

The rise of the Adlai Stevenson family would have resulted maybe not a Bryan Jennings or a Prez Wilson. Due to the fact he was Cleveland's VP and would have been nominated and won in 1892. Stevenson just like his grandson were bombarded by the Progressive Republican movement of Eisenhower and Teddy Roosevelt.  

Not quite.  Leaving aside the political impotence of the office until fairly recently, had Cleveland won in 1888, the incumbent Vice President would have been Allen G. Thurman, not Adlai Stevenson I.  Thurman was fairly old and frail and if Cleveland chose to not try for a third term, the Democratic field would have been fairly wide open in 1892.  It's doubtful Stevenson could have used his position as Assistant Postmaster to make a run for the Presidency.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 03:30:41 AM »

I would have preferred an Adlai Stevenson than a Pres McKinley, but that is my personal choice.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »

I would have preferred an Adlai Stevenson than a Pres McKinley, but that is my personal choice.

Who cares?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 12:27:58 PM »

Yeah, who cares about the Dixicrat party of Grover Cleveland.

But history wise, Adlai Stevenson wouldnt have given us Richard Nixon, that came along with Eisenhower.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies