If we moved the nation's capital
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:17:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If we moved the nation's capital
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: If we moved the nation's capital  (Read 6327 times)
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2015, 02:31:14 PM »

The capital ought to moved to Taos.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2015, 05:31:11 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2015, 05:33:07 PM by Nutmeg »

Would residents of the new capital, presumably created in an existing state, be stripped of their voting rights as a matter of tradition?

No one wants to live in f[inks]ing Kansas City. You realize that hundreds of thousands of people (and their families) have to willingly live in and around whatever city is selected, right?
No one would want to live in Washington either if it wasn't the nation's capital.

Only 38% of residents of the nation's capital are government employees. There's a lot more happening in D.C. aside from the federal government, believe it or not.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2015, 08:16:31 PM »

NOVA and Maryland would be completely SOL. Mass loss of tax revenues and population loss would cripple the region.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2015, 08:21:14 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2015, 08:25:33 PM by locke lamora »

Would residents of the new capital, presumably created in an existing state, be stripped of their voting rights as a matter of tradition?

No one wants to live in f[inks]ing Kansas City. You realize that hundreds of thousands of people (and their families) have to willingly live in and around whatever city is selected, right?
No one would want to live in Washington either if it wasn't the nation's capital.

Only 38% of residents of the nation's capital are government employees. There's a lot more happening in D.C. aside from the federal government, believe it or not.

I've lived in the DC area before and I probably know the city better than you, but thank you for the information smartass.  My point is that DC was a swamp before it became the capital and much of what attracts people to the city would not be there if another city became the capital.  The new capital (even if it's a really boring place now) would eventually become an appealing destination.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2015, 12:44:45 AM »

I've lived in the DC area before and I probably know the city better than you, but thank you for the information smartass.  My point is that DC was a swamp before it became the capital and much of what attracts people to the city would not be there if another city became the capital.  The new capital (even if it's a really boring place now) would eventually become an appealing destination.

You uncivil beast.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2015, 12:50:12 AM »

NOVA and Maryland would be completely SOL. Mass loss of tax revenues and population loss would cripple the region.

I doubt it would be crippling
Kraxner
Rookie

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2015, 05:29:18 AM »

Use the brazilian method which is to put it in the middle of the country.

In this case the US's center would be Lebanon, Kansas.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »

Use the brazilian method which is to put it in the middle of the country.

In this case the US's center would be Lebanon, Kansas.

Lebanon being the capital of America would be hilarious.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies