🇦🇹 Austria General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:31:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇦🇹 Austria General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 🇦🇹 Austria General Discussion  (Read 68309 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: June 09, 2018, 03:52:18 PM »

Is it just in America where we hold freedoms of speech and religion as sacred? It sounds like many of the European posters in this thread agree with this, while I know of many Americans, from far-right to far-left, that would see this as violating freedoms of religion.

Yup. I'll say that in general Americans have a more "laissez faire" approach to freedom of religion and freedom of speech while most European countries have more restrictive approaches. Whether that's a good or a bad thing though I don't know.

I will say that for my country (Spain), freedom of speech is almost certainly too restricted (tons of people have been unfairly sent to jail). But I will say we are doing ok in freedom of religion.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 09:06:33 PM »

Is it just in America where we hold freedoms of speech and religion as sacred? It sounds like many of the European posters in this thread agree with this, while I know of many Americans, from far-right to far-left, that would see this as violating freedoms of religion.

Yup. I'll say that in general Americans have a more "laissez faire" approach to freedom of religion and freedom of speech while most European countries have more restrictive approaches. Whether that's a good or a bad thing though I don't know.

I will say that for my country (Spain), freedom of speech is almost certainly too restricted (tons of people have been unfairly sent to jail). But I will say we are doing ok in freedom of religion.

If my country were say throwing journalists in prison, I would not say we are doing ok in freedom of the press... Why do you say Spain is doing ok in freedom of speech? Am I missing something?

I said we're bad at freedom of the press but ok in religion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies