🇦🇹 Austria General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:25:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇦🇹 Austria General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25
Author Topic: 🇦🇹 Austria General Discussion  (Read 67873 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2017, 11:37:28 AM »

2 Syrian asylum seekers with IS contacts have been arrested today at a Vienna anti-terror raid:

http://wien.orf.at/news/stories/2839234

The suspects are a 48-year old woman and a 36-year old man.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2017, 02:32:15 AM »

A 15-year old girl was brutally raped by 3 "dark-skinned" men with "foreign languages" in a wooded area in Lower Austria.

All 59 men in a nearby asylum seeker centre have been DNA-tested ...

https://kurier.at/chronik/niederoesterreich/15-jaehrige-in-tulln-vergewaltigt-erstmals-massen-dna-test-in-oestereich/264.211.550
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2017, 01:28:19 AM »

UK ambassador's bruising encounter with Austrian boar

Britain’s ambassador to Austria has generally been given a warm welcome, but a local wild boar appeared to have little time for diplomatic niceties. Leigh Turner, who took up the post last August, has revealed that while walking in woods near Vienna earlier this month, he was chased by a “massive” specimen and sustained minor injuries.

Turning a corner, Turner found himself face-to-face with a group of “four or five hulking adults and countless piglets”. He turned and walked away slowly. “Moments later I hear a noise behind me like a galloping horse, and turn to see a massive wild boar, head down, charging straight at me,” Turner recounted on his blog.

Turner tried to escape by climbing a pile of tree trunks, but slipped on the wet wood, scratching and bruising himself in the process.

“By the time I turned round, the boar [no doubt thinking, ‘That’s got rid of that swine’] had trotted back to join the rest of the group, which was melting back into the forest,” he said. “All my minor injuries were self-inflicted: the boar never made contact.”

Maybe the wild-boar thought he was an IS fighter ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/16/wild-boar-gives-british-ambassador-to-austria-the-chase

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39937822
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2017, 02:33:24 AM »

What a surprise ... The DNA tests led to the arrests of Somali and Afghan RAPISTS:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/20/austrian-town-wont-accept-any-more-refugees-after-girl-is-raped
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2017, 12:26:03 PM »

Turning your back on a herd of pigs is rather stupid. This reminds me of that story Kasich told, except he backed away from the dangerous moose.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2017, 02:47:09 PM »

I wonder if this will start the First Anglo-Boar war.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »

Do no white Austrians commit crimes for you to report on? Or do you prefer to focus on the minorities?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2017, 12:00:12 AM »

Do no white Austrians commit crimes for you to report on? Or do you prefer to focus on the minorities?

"Whataboutery in response to gang rape - not a good look!"
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2017, 01:27:44 AM »

It would be better for you to read the previous pages, before making a stupid comment like this.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2017, 04:59:36 AM »

I bet this boar was a Syrian refugee
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2017, 05:57:32 AM »

I thought the UK doesn't have an ambassador in Australiaa, Canada and such but rather a commissioner?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2017, 10:45:43 AM »

I thought the UK doesn't have an ambassador in Australiaa, Canada and such but rather a commissioner?

Can't tell if this is an Austria/Australia joke or not.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »

Brexit payback Wink
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2017, 12:41:00 AM »

At least it wasn't radioactive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/09/world/asia/radioactive-boars-in-fukushima-thwart-residents-plans-to-return-home.html
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #164 on: May 24, 2017, 08:52:40 AM »

Isn't that how King Robert Baratheon died? That could lead to a war of the five kings! (Game of Thrones, anyone?)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2017, 10:45:07 AM »

2016 saw 477 known anti-semitic incidents, up from 465 in 2015.

42% of these cases involved letters or phone calls.
32% involved internet/social media/emails
14% were smears or material/property damage
  5% were verbal insults
  5% were "others"
  1% were personal assault

59% of cases had an "unknown ideology".
28% of cases had a right-wing background
  9% of cases had an islamist background
  4% of cases had a left-wing background

Or, of those 41% with a known ideology ...

68% of cases had a right-wing background
22% of cases had an islamist background
10% of cases had a left-wing background

http://www.fga-wien.at/fileadmin/user_upload/FgA_Bilder/Berichte/Antisemitismusbericht_2016_FGA.pdf
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2017, 01:19:02 PM »

As usual, anti semitism is almost exclusively a symptom of the far right and radical Islam. Left wing anti Zionists are, in my experience, some of the most decent, accepting people out there.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2017, 02:11:04 PM »

Left wing anti Zionists are, in my experience, some of the most decent, accepting people out there.
lol
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2017, 04:01:53 PM »

As usual, anti semitism is almost exclusively a symptom of the far right and radical Islam. Left wing anti Zionists are, in my experience, some of the most decent, accepting people out there.

I don't think it is possible to be anti-zionist and not be anti-semitic, because the entire position relies on the argument that Jewish nationalism is somehow uniquely unacceptable.

That said, right wing anti-semitism is clearly a thing and people should recognise this.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »

Sure, they're very accepting of terrorist organizations killing their own people and targeting civilians. They even support these organizations. Nice guys.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2017, 05:16:15 PM »

I don't think it is possible to be anti-zionist and not be anti-semitic, because the entire position relies on the argument that Jewish nationalism is somehow uniquely unacceptable.

That said, right wing anti-semitism is clearly a thing and people should recognise this.
Question: is it anti-semitic or anti-zionist to fully recognize that Israel should exist and that it is in fact better on human rights than many other nations in the area, but also to say that it might want to treat Palestinians better?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2017, 05:27:58 PM »

Question: is it anti-semitic or anti-zionist to fully recognize that Israel should exist and that it is in fact better on human rights than many other nations in the area, but also to say that it might want to treat Palestinians better?

That's a 100% legit position many of my friends hold. In fact, even I hold it to an extent, just that I see most of the unoptimal treatment as a result of the Palestinian refusal to compromise.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2017, 05:32:32 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2017, 05:04:35 PM by parochial boy »

I think Anti-zionism as a position tends to hold that a Jewish state in Israel is illegitimate, which is a whole different kettle of fish to criticising Israel's policy with regards to Palestine.

Conflating the two is a useful trope for both the anti-semites of the world as well as the Israeli ultranationalist right.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #173 on: May 27, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »

no, that would be the normal position....unless it just ends there.  If that's all your thoughts on the situation (only blaming one side's govt for the problems) then yeah, you're probably a bigot.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #174 on: May 27, 2017, 01:54:01 PM »

Not remotely anti-semitic. In fact, I would bet it was the position of a majority of actual Zionists.

The problem of anti-zionists is delegitimization. BDS' driving principle is that Israel is the one nation in the world that is so evil and illegitimate that the country and the people in it should be treated as unpersons. There's no way around it that that's anti-semitic.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies