Is the midwest crucial for victory?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:21:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is the midwest crucial for victory?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is the midwest crucial for victory?  (Read 3065 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2005, 12:04:58 AM »

This isn't too far from what happened last two elections.  I mean why bother campaigning anywhere other than the midwest?  Republicans have a lock on the south and west (middle America) and Democrats have a lock on the Pacific and Northern Atlantic coasts.  The only real toss-up is this Area.  I dunno why Kerry went to Arizona or Alabama to stump for votes.  Really don't understand Dick Cheney flying all the way to Hawaii to stump for their votes.  This is really the only useful area to try for.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 12:05:33 AM »

ah, yea forgot to mention, it's deadlocked at 269-269
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 12:19:31 AM »

Of course the midwet is crucial for victory. That said its not the "only" place to try for.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 12:27:20 AM »

A Republican would never win Minnesota while losing Iowa, Wisconsin and Ohio. We are the most Democratic of those states.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 01:24:00 AM »

The Midwest and Pennsylvannia is the primary battleground because most of its States are comptetive in close Presidential elections, are close to one another which cuts down on travel time for the candidates when they go from place to place, and have enough EVs to be worth worrying about.  If current trends continue, the Southwest should develop into an attractive campaign area as well by 2012 with over 30 EV’s for grab in Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 01:25:36 AM »

That's why I think a Feingold / Bayh ticket has promise. If they take IA, WI, MN, MI, OH, and PA, they win.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 01:27:35 AM »

A Republican would never win Minnesota while losing Iowa, Wisconsin and Ohio. We are the most Democratic of those states.

What if he's from MN?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 03:46:32 AM »

Okay, move around Minnesota and Wisconsin...slightly even more realistic, still tied.
If Dems didn't campaign outside this area but Reps did, there are a number of states the Dems would lose. Same goes the other way round. Plus it's probably bad PR to run a blatantly non-national campaign.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 07:07:58 AM »

The midwest is close but not changing much.  Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico are the fastest changing region.  One might possibly throw in Virginia.

That doesn't mean your point about OH-WS-IA-MN-PA isn't valid, I'm just saying the Southwest will become about as close as that area as it becomes more Democratic.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 11:22:06 AM »

What if he's from MN?

Possible then but that's not likely anytime soon. Pawlenty is incredibly overrated, the only person more overrated than Coleman considering that I can see why Pawlenty would have appeal to conservatives, but Coleman is a generic party hack with absolutely nothing special about him. Neither one would be a lock for winning Minnesota either since they both are going to have tough reelection bids.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 02:59:41 PM »

Really don't understand Dick Cheney flying all the way to Hawaii to stump for their votes.
Hawaii was actually supposed to be quite close, according to some polls. Kerry's lead was certainly within the margin of error. In the end, of course, Kerry did win it somewhat comfortably.

The midwest is close but not changing much. Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico are the fastest changing region. One might possibly throw in Virginia.

That doesn't mean your point about OH-WS-IA-MN-PA isn't valid, I'm just saying the Southwest will become about as close as that area as it becomes more Democratic.
The influx of Hispanic immigrants into this area would definitely point to such a trend.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 03:18:51 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2005, 03:24:52 PM by opebo »

Of course MN,WS,IA,OH,PA add up to 68 electoral votes, while CO,AZ,NM,NV are only 29.  Even throwing in VA as another possible soon-to-be-swing-state-due-to-demographic-change only raises that total to 42.  The midwest does seem like where elections will be decided for quite a while, assuming Florida stays GOP.
For example:

Though I really doubt PA is trending GOP.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 06:43:17 PM »

This is how I see the 2008 battlemap right now assuming a close election in the popular vote:

Dark blue and dark red states would take a blow out of 1932 or 1984 proportions for the other party to win.
Light blue and light red wouldn’t be a total surprise for the other party to win, but they would have already have won the election because of other States if they get them unless the favored party fails to do anything to hold them.
The gray states are the battleground.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 06:44:58 PM »

This is how I see the 2008 battlemap right now assuming a close election in the popular vote:

Dark blue and dark red states would take a blow out of 1932 or 1984 proportions for the other party to win.
Light blue and light red wouldn’t be a total surprise for the other party to win, but they would have already have won the election because of other States if they get them unless the favored party fails to do anything to hold them.

You're ignoring home state advatage for someone like Bayh.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 06:59:13 PM »

You're ignoring home state advatage for someone like Bayh.

Home state advantage might cause a one grade shift in some cases, but we don’t know which states will be the home states yet. Bayh would cause Indiana to become light blue and if he managed to do as well as his advocates suggest he would win Indiana, but home state advantage is not a reason for the Democrats to consider Bayh.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 11:16:11 PM »

yeah, that seems about right.

BRTD, and others, my map of the midwest, (Minnesota being GOP) relects for a deadlock of 269-269, however it's not necessarily meant to be all that accurate.  It could turn out like that, not impossible, but it's more or less for proving my point.  It's all a matter of prioritising what's able to be taken.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 12:20:23 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2005, 12:22:49 PM by opebo »

Here's one using the shading to reflect leans in 2008:
Solid to Leaning Democrat - 242
Solid to Leaning Republican - 249
Tossups with no lean  -         47

Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 03:01:38 PM »

Yes, and no. It is becoming closer, but less significant, population-wise, so the question becomes ambiguous.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2005, 10:14:54 AM »

The Midwest is currently the most crucial region, because it has the most EV in swing states. By swing states here I mean swing states assuming an even national electorate, and no home favorite.

opebo's map has 37 out of 47 toss-up EV in the Midwest. Ernest has 64 out of 143 battleground EV in the Midwest (more if you add PA with its close proximity to OH). If the base is solid, a candidate is going to to go where the votes are most in the balance.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2005, 12:21:01 PM »

That's why I think a Feingold / Bayh ticket has promise. If they take IA, WI, MN, MI, OH, and PA, they win.

except if they run against another midwesterner, say, Sam Brownback...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2005, 08:46:29 PM »

Brownback doesn't have any appeal in this part of the midwest (where the important states are) at all. Same as Feingold has no appeal in Kansas.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 09:36:38 AM »

Brownback doesn't have any appeal in this part of the midwest (where the important states are) at all. Same as Feingold has no appeal in Kansas.

Have to agree with you there.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 01:33:28 PM »

I think a Bayh/Feingold ticket has greater promise

I think Bayh has a better chance of picking up Missouri and Ohio, than Feingold, which is why he should top the ticket. He should bring Indiana along as well.

Unless the GOP nominee is from the Mid-West than Bayh could sweep the region with the exception of Kentucky (and even there he'll have a better chance than most Dems)

Dave
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies