Metro Transport Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:41:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Metro Transport Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Metro Transport Thread  (Read 271 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 PM »

I know there's already a Redistricter thread proper, but as this is focused on discussing a set of data from the app and not the app itself I wanted to make a specific new thread.

As this thread shows, there are huge differences between metro areas in transportation.

I was curious as to what explains some of the isolated transit neighborhoods in DC/Boston -- DC seems to have one stretch around Americna University, but does anyone know the others? Is it just proximity to a metro station? If so, why isn't there a closer match-up with the metro lines in general? Similarily, what's with the very deep orange neighborhood Northeast of city center in Boston?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 10:23:05 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2024, 10:26:36 PM by ProgressiveModerate »

A lot seem to be based around colleges/universities.

For some of the others it could honestly just be noise - you're talking about one census tract where these types of statistics could easily be off a few %. I would also look at the types of development in those tracts - just a breif google search makes it seem like many have disproportionately multifamily homes and apartment buildings where people are just less likely to own a car.

Honestly my bigger confusion are the fairly large swaths of NYC well served by the subway that still have more people using a car - most notably the area around Midwood in Brooklyn and Gun Hill in the Bronx area. Some of the anomalies make sense like the Upper East Side being more car friendly because of the wealth or the outer reaches of Queens just not having good subway access, but these places are neither wealthy or lack subway access

There more generally seems to be a decent inverse correlation between income and public transit use in NYC - this may explain why there are some pockets of poorer eastern/southeastern DC that are more transit favorable.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 10:34:29 PM »

Eastie in Boston is a generally working-class area, but importantly has a lot of recent immigrants. Both of these contribute to a lack of car ownership. Eastie is close enough to downtown, where most lines intersect, that it provides enough convenience for using transit broadly.

It appears the transit neighborhoods in DC in Anacostia also follow rail stops.

New York is unique because metro service is in a class of its own in America. In other cities, affluent transit-minded residents tend to be able to afford to live close enough to their workplaces that many of their trips can be done by walking; it is still the working poor that use transit as their primary means of transportation. In fact, studies have found that permanent transit stops (such as suburban rail) tend to create neighborhoods with poorer residents on average, because they often have no other option but to live near such stops in order to access employment.

Also important to remember is that buses, although less geographically noticeable than the effects of a rail station, still make up a significant portion of transit trips.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 10:46:19 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2024, 10:54:45 PM by Boobs »

Honestly my bigger confusion are the fairly large swaths of NYC well served by the subway that still have more people using a car - most notably the area around Midwood in Brooklyn and Gun Hill in the Bronx area.

Midwood, I would wager, is just a quirk of choropleth mapping, as I think there is probably a significant walking contingent like nearby Borough Park composed of many Chassidic Jews, enough so that the transit percentage drops below that of auto users.

The area you call “Gun Hill” - Pelham Gardens, Williamsbridge, the like - is actually kind of interesting. There’s a little profile of the area in the Times that encapsulates the “vibe” of the neighborhood better than I’d be able to describe, but it really is more of a “suburban enclave” (emphasis on enclave) than you’d expect of an area in that part of the Bronx.
LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 10:23:36 PM »

Adding onto the Boston analysis:

The deep orange in East Boston is the Airport itself and nothing else, and I assume the map is by resident location. Could be a small data sample of erroneous data entry for workers commuting into Logan.

The strongest correlation with universities seems to be walking---one can see in green Bentley University, Harvard + HBS, MIT, BU, and Northeastern. The other green general walking neighborhoods of downtown, Seaport, Back Bay, and Fenway/Longwood tend to be finance/consulting/healthcare workers living close enough to their place of employment, or traditional historic walkable enclaves like Chinatown, the North End, and Beacon Hill.

The orange corresponds fairly well to transit locations and neighborhoods with more young professionals, such as Porter and Central in Cambridge and Somerville, the green line B going through Allston, the blue line going through Eastie as HCP mentioned, the orange line stops close to Jamaica Plain and Roxbury, and the red line through Andrew Square.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:31:49 AM »

I know there's already a Redistricter thread proper, but as this is focused on discussing a set of data from the app and not the app itself I wanted to make a specific new thread.

As this thread shows, there are huge differences between metro areas in transportation.

I was curious as to what explains some of the isolated transit neighborhoods in DC/Boston -- DC seems to have one stretch around Americna University, but does anyone know the others? Is it just proximity to a metro station? If so, why isn't there a closer match-up with the metro lines in general? Similarily, what's with the very deep orange neighborhood Northeast of city center in Boston?

These maps would be a lot more useful if they combined the "walking," "bike" and "transit" groups together, honestly. There's so much overlap in those specific groups, particularly in DC.

As opposed to NYC, where the Subway is extremely well established and well-used, DC's car-free residents are more mixed in their transportation, I think - riding buses seems more common among my DC peers than any of my NYC peers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies