NYC-Mayor: Bob Kerrey for Mayor of NYC???
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:02:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC-Mayor: Bob Kerrey for Mayor of NYC???
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC-Mayor: Bob Kerrey for Mayor of NYC???  (Read 1866 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2005, 03:41:03 PM »

From the AP:

NEW YORK - Former Sen. Bob Kerrey is considering entering the city's mayoral race, saying Mayor Michael Bloomberg has not fought Republican lawmakers who have hurt the city with tax cuts and reductions in national security funding.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 04:51:01 PM »

Man, I really hope someone else runs. I don't want the mayor of our largest city to be a war criminal.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 07:45:50 PM »

isnt bob kerrey more conservative than bloomberg?
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 09:33:22 PM »

Can just anybody run for election in NY?  How long has Kerrey been a resident of NYC,  or is that even a requirement?

Hell, Hillary only became a resident just prior to the cut-off for registering to vote.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 10:31:08 PM »

In New York, whether you're actually a long-time resident of the place or not seems to play very little in the voting habits of its residents.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 01:43:28 AM »

In New York, whether you're actually a long-time resident of the place or not seems to play very little in the voting habits of its residents.

How unfortunately true.  But if you're going to get elected in New York City, you need to at least understand the city somewhat...which I don't think Bob Kerrey (D-NE) has any claim to.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 07:41:59 PM »

Can just anybody run for election in NY?  How long has Kerrey been a resident of NYC,  or is that even a requirement?

Hell, Hillary only became a resident just prior to the cut-off for registering to vote.

He's president of a university there.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 07:43:50 PM »

So he's not even a carpetbagger? Then, what's the big deal? In recent history, NY has elected 3 carpetbaggers to the same Senate seat (1964, 1970, 2000).
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 10:49:37 PM »

I didn't care for Bob Kerrey as a Senator.

I didn't care for Bob Kerrey as a candidate for the Democratic Presidential nomination.

Nothing personal against him as a person, I just didn't care for his political musings.   

His chances of becoming Mayor of NYC?  "0".
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 11:17:39 PM »

In a Kerrey vs. Bloomberg race, I would have to reluctantly support Bloomberg. At least he hasn't massacred innocent civilians.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 12:33:54 AM »

Bloomberg makes Linc Chafee look like a party line Republican.  I would support Kerrey here.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 12:55:39 AM »

So he's not even a carpetbagger? Then, what's the big deal? In recent history, NY has elected 3 carpetbaggers to the same Senate seat (1964, 1970, 2000).

There is a very distinct difference between Senate races and Mayoral races.

NYC is so staunchly Democratic on a national level that the Republicans who run aren't really Republicans.

Given the choice in a Senate race between an out-of-state carpetbagger Democrat and an in-state somewhat-conservative Republican, NYC (and, usually, the state) will vote for the Democrat.  Why?  It's more important to not have a conservative than to have a New Yorker, and a Senate seat is a national thing anyway, so it doesn't require you to have too much of a knowledge of your own state, just enough to get by and to be able to listen to your constituents.

Given the choice in a Mayoral race between an out-of-state carpetbagger Democrat (from Nebraska, who isn't much of a Democrat anyway iirc) and a liberal Republican who's been in NYC all his life, and is the incumbent...New York will choose the Republican.  There isn't too much of a difference between the two anyway, and an executive position requires much more knowledge of the city than a senate seat.

Kerrey won't make it out of the primaries, so it's a moot point anyway.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 01:11:34 PM »

Bob Kerrey has been living in NYC since 2001, he's president of New School University.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 06:19:40 PM »

Bob Kerrey has been living in NYC since 2001, he's president of New School University.

Wow, that really makes him a New Yorker, doesn't it...
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 12:02:43 PM »

As much as I like Bloomberg (ie not conservative)...he's a turncoat who's only a Republican because he couldn't win the Democratic line.

I'd probably vote for the Independence Party Candidate
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies