Catholicism on the Retreat in Ireland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 09:46:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Catholicism on the Retreat in Ireland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Catholicism on the Retreat in Ireland  (Read 3180 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2005, 04:14:44 AM »
« edited: April 17, 2005, 04:31:52 AM by Frodo »

i'll admit this comes as bit of surprise to me -of any member-state in the European Union, Ireland seemed the least likely to succumb to secularism.  given this, i wonder if Poland and the rest of Eastern Europe will be next:

Catholicism Losing Ground in Ireland
-Secularism, prosperity and sexual abuse scandals are weakening the church's influence.

By John Daniszewski, Times Staff Writer

MAYNOOTH, Ireland — The black-and-white class portraits arrayed along the nearly deserted corridor of the seminary at St. Patrick's College here tell the tale.

Year by year, the group of graduating seminary students gets smaller. Slowly, the number of young men willing to replenish the priesthood of the once-mighty Roman Catholic Church in Ireland is shrinking. In the future, the priests celebrating Mass in the Emerald Isle's churches may well be from South America or Africa, not Cork or Kerry.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-ireland17apr17,0,5254747.story?coll=la-home-headlines
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 07:22:58 AM »

It'll be like this until they allow priests to marry.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 10:16:01 AM »

^^^^^^^^
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 10:27:47 AM »

I saw an editorial in the local newspaper today speculating that the priest shortage will cause the Vatican to reverse course on the ordination of women in a generation or two, but doing away with the celibacy requirement for priests seems far liklier as that clearly is merely tradition rather than scriptural.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 11:10:16 AM »

I saw an editorial in the local newspaper today speculating that the priest shortage will cause the Vatican to reverse course on the ordination of women in a generation or two, but doing away with the celibacy requirement for priests seems far liklier as that clearly is merely tradition rather than scriptural.

Indeed. that canon law was put in place so that priests would have no kids to leave lands to, s as to the church get all of it when they kicked the bucket.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 11:15:31 AM »

yeah, they're slowly killing themselves with that stupid policy. Catholicism is rapidly declining here as well because of it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 12:28:25 PM »

Actually, priests of almost all denominations are declining.  Whether they can marry or not.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 12:39:58 PM »

Of course the bible isn't against priests marrying. It does RECOMMEND priests not to marry as that would distract from their dedication to God and the church. But one thing IS for certain and that is the bible is STRONGLY against female priests of any sort.
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 03:27:35 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2005, 04:22:18 PM by ragnar »

Of course the bible isn't against priests marrying. It does RECOMMEND priests not to marry as that would distract from their dedication to God and the church. But one thing IS for certain and that is the bible is STRONGLY against female priests of any sort.

isn´t it nice that the Bible ALWAYS have the precisely same attitude to morale as you
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 04:07:25 PM »

Actually, the Bible does not recommend any such thing.  St. Paul recommends it and indicates that it is personal opinion.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 06:24:55 PM »

isn´t it nice that the Bible ALWAYS have the precisely same attitude to morale as you

If I could understand that then maybe I could debate you.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 06:25:39 PM »

Actually, the Bible does not recommend any such thing.  St. Paul recommends it and indicates that it is personal opinion.

Well its IN the Bible, so basically if it is in the bible it is an acceptable viewpoint in Gods' eyes.
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 06:33:32 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2005, 06:49:04 PM by ragnar »

If I could understand that then maybe I could debate you.

Sorry, english ain´t my native langues, it´s shows.

I would like quate from the bible, before I take you word for it
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 06:46:14 PM »

Anything that is in the Bible from the mouth of Paul only is something to be avoided in my opinion.  Of course, my own views on Paul are in line with those of the Ebionites and Talmidaists.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 07:13:11 PM »

Anything that is in the Bible from the mouth of Paul only is something to be avoided in my opinion.  Of course, my own views on Paul are in line with those of the Ebionites and Talmidaists.

Well, in that case, St. Paul actually recommended that no one get married.  I guess that means StateRights should put Plant City Rebel on an island?  ;-)
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2005, 07:37:02 PM »

The RCC should take the position of the Orthodox: Priests should be allowed to marry before becoming priests, but not after ordination.

The problem now is that only homosexuals go into the priesthood(to avoid being outed). This way they can still do that, but straights can go in as well.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2005, 08:02:04 PM »

The RCC should take the position of the Orthodox: Priests should be allowed to marry before becoming priests, but not after ordination.

The problem now is that only homosexuals go into the priesthood(to avoid being outed). This way they can still do that, but straights can go in as well.

Stop with the Catholic bigotry please.
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2005, 09:58:28 PM »

Stop with the Catholic bigotry please.

You're right. I'm blinded by my bigotry. It couldn't possibly be the fact that the churches that do allow married priests aren't having sexual abuse scandals and dwindling numbers.

You apparently know nothing about my church, because if you did you would know that basically the only difference between Orthodoxy and Catholicism are that we allow married priests.

By the way, most conservative Catholic groups agree with me that the majority of men going into the priesthood are gay(see www.newoxfordreview.org).

When I was in Catholic school(oh yes, the anti-catholic bigot who went to Catholic school, is going to a Catholic university this fall, and probably will send his kids to Catholic school), the only boys that wanted to become priests were complete-flaming-feminine-full on homosexuals.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005, 10:14:38 PM »

Kodratos, long time no see!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2005, 10:33:48 PM »

That doesn't have a damn thing to do with it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2005, 10:36:15 PM »

That is bullsh**t.  I know tons of priests and tons of seminarians.  They are not, as popular media would have you believe, a bunch of in-the-closet homosexuals.  Why is it so hard for people to believe that someone can be straight and acctually live a life without sex?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2005, 10:38:15 PM »

That is bullsh**t.  I know tons of priests and tons of seminarians.  They are not, as popular media would have you believe, a bunch of in-the-closet homosexuals.  Why is it so hard for people to believe that someone can be straight and acctually live a life without sex?

Because I find it incomprehenisble personally. Plus it's unnatural and unhealthy.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2005, 10:43:16 PM »

You're right. I'm blinded by my bigotry. It couldn't possibly be the fact that the churches that do allow married priests aren't having sexual abuse scandals and dwindling numbers.

Wrong!  Protestant clergy are also being arrested, it just is not published nealy as widely.  And the Episcalpal Church and I believe, also the Lutherans are facing declining membership.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wrong!  Papal authority, the Emmaculate Conception, the sacraments, the eternal virginity of Mary... obviously you don't know as much about our Church as you pretend to.

Many conservatives look for gays around every corner, so this is not suprising.  Also, one sight doesn't prove anything.

Wow, you went to Catholic school so that doesn't make you anti-Catholic?  Hardly.  My school was full of Protestants who thought that we were all going to Hell.  This is like the "I have a Black freind, so therefore" argument.  Its meaningless.  Oh, and by the way, when I was in high school, I wanted to be a priest, for a time.  I guess I must be a flaming homosexual.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2005, 10:45:53 PM »

gays shouldn't go into the priesthood, they should just let the church die off. They should instead go join a nice liberal Protestant denomination that accepts them and become a minister in that denomination, and be allowed to be in a relationship still! (with an adult, not a little boy)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2005, 10:48:50 PM »

Because I find it incomprehenisble personally. Plus it's unnatural and unhealthy.

It sounds to me that Mr. Liberal here fears, ridiculs and makes broad judgments about things that he doesn't understand.  Shame really.  I have never sat around and thought, "gee I'm not gay, so I don't understand how others can be".

So, basically what you are saying is that it is impossible for someone to be so fullfilled by Christ that they don't need sex?

Has anyone here ever acctually discussed this with a priest?  I have, acctually.  What he said was simple, and understandable.  He said, quite simply, that there are times when he truely does miss having that type of companionship and love in his life, but that he willingly gave himself over to Christ and his parish is his family.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies