Israel General Election Thread: March 17 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:24:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Election Thread: March 17 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 56
Author Topic: Israel General Election Thread: March 17 2015  (Read 168596 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: March 04, 2015, 02:25:13 AM »

And no, persecution is not a Jewish monopoly. Persecution of Jews could be considered one however.

Is persecution of Jews any different from persecution of Gypsies?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #726 on: March 04, 2015, 02:27:27 AM »

Yes, in that it is Jews who are being persecuted, rather than Gypsies.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #727 on: March 04, 2015, 02:29:42 AM »

One could ask very well why they adopted Ladino instead- after all, we're not only talking about lily-white Jews here.

Hebrew would quite naturally weave a much closer fabric. I shudder to think of Arye Deri conversing in Yiddish, and Lieberman responding in Ladino. It would be chaos!

They did not adopt Ladino - Ladino is pretty much dead, they killed it as well.

And, of course, their objective was to "weave a fabric" where I see no need of having done so. To "weave" that "fabric" they sacrificed what was their tradition, and had multiple traditions assimilated into one - the one they invented. So, no, they did not care about preserving Jewish traditions: they wanted to create the new traditions.

I still shudder when I hear that falafel is, somehow, "Jewish food". Jewish food is gefilte fish and farshmak on bagel. That is what my great grandmother made. And don't give me any of that bullshoot about falafel (I hate it).
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #728 on: March 04, 2015, 02:30:11 AM »

And does this distinction - at all - matter?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #729 on: March 04, 2015, 02:31:15 AM »

Hebrew would quite naturally weave a much closer fabric. I shudder to think of Arye Deri conversing in Yiddish, and Lieberman responding in Ladino. It would be chaos!

BTW, Armenian and Chinese jewelers in NY talk Yiddish to each other - and there is no chaos.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #730 on: March 04, 2015, 02:33:30 AM »

One could ask very well why they adopted Ladino instead- after all, we're not only talking about lily-white Jews here.

And, of course, their objective was to "weave a fabric" where I see no need of having done so. To "weave" that "fabric" they sacrificed what was their tradition, and had multiple traditions assimilated into one - the one they invented. So, no, they did not care about preserving Jewish traditions: they wanted to create the new traditions.

I still shudder when I hear that falafel is, somehow, "Jewish food". Jewish food is gefilte fish and farshmak on bagel. That is what my great grandmother made. And don't give me any of that bullshoot about falafel (I hate it).

Why you being racist against sephardim?

And does this distinction - at all - matter?

What do you mean "does it matter"? If you are asking if one is worse than the other, no. If you are asking whether a solution for one can be used as a solution for the other, I am skeptical. The nomadic nature of Gypsies makes it hard for them to establish a state- same as the Bedouin.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #731 on: March 04, 2015, 02:36:02 AM »

The point is that everyone knowing two languages (yes, I think Israelis should learn Arabic) is hard enough, trying to throw Yiddish in, and then Ladino to satisfy the Sephardim, and Amharic to satisfy the Ethiopians, would be chaos.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #732 on: March 04, 2015, 02:37:40 AM »

What do you mean "does it matter"? If you are asking if one is worse than the other, no. If you are asking whether a solution for one can be used as a solution for the other, I am skeptical. The nomadic nature of Gypsies makes it hard for them to establish a state- same as the Bedouin.

Creation of the Jewish State did nothing to stop persecution of Jews in Yemen or Iraq - except by accelerating their forced expulsion. So, I refuse to consider this a solution - unless, of course, you are willing to consider Holocaust a "solution" (it most definitely stops any further persecution). The very word "solution" in this case has very unfortunate connotations. I would avoid using it.

And, of course, there is ample precedent for nomadic states.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #733 on: March 04, 2015, 02:38:43 AM »

The point is that everyone knowing two languages (yes, I think Israelis should learn Arabic) is hard enough, trying to throw Yiddish in, and then Ladino to satisfy the Sephardim, and Amharic to satisfy the Ethiopians, would be chaos.

Well, if you invent an objective and sacrifice everything else for it, I see your point. But somebody here was saying that early Zionists cared about preserving Jewish traditions - whereas they murdered them "for a greater cause". I see no difference between switching to Hebrew or switching to Chinese - in both cases you assimilate to another culture.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #734 on: March 04, 2015, 02:41:40 AM »

Well, if you invent an objective and sacrifice everything else for it, I see your point. But somebody here was saying that early Zionists cared about preserving Jewish traditions - whereas they murdered them.
Traditions get created and destroyed all the time. I have some European Jewish friends- none of them speak Yiddish. I highly doubt Yiddish would remain relevant, whether or not Israel was founded.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #735 on: March 04, 2015, 02:44:09 AM »

Falafel is no more "sephardic" then it is ashkenazic (they did not eat falafel in Spain, I am pretty sure - not sure about Salonika). In any case, the current "Israeli falafel" is no different from its Palestinian variety - nobody would associate it with Jews a century ago. 

And, of ocurse, my kind of Jews have a lot more in common with Poles than with the Sephardim culturally and gastronomically. Are you surprized?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #736 on: March 04, 2015, 02:45:40 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2015, 02:47:49 AM by ag »

Well, if you invent an objective and sacrifice everything else for it, I see your point. But somebody here was saying that early Zionists cared about preserving Jewish traditions - whereas they murdered them.
Traditions get created and destroyed all the time. I have some European Jewish friends- none of them speak Yiddish. I highly doubt Yiddish would remain relevant, whether or not Israel was founded.

Well, but, at least, you have, it seems, agreed, that early Zionists couldnīt give a frock about the traditions, except the "traditions" they themselves invented. So, clearly, it was not a matter of preserving traditions that prevented them from assimilating into another society.

As for Yiddish... Hitler, of course, took care of the European Yiddishkeit. Zionists provided a coup de grace. Well, perhaps if the dead man were not murdered, he would have died by now. Quite likely in fact. So, should the murderer go free? Or are you suggesting it was a mercy killing?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #737 on: March 04, 2015, 02:47:28 AM »

Falafel is no more "sephardic" then it is ashkenazic (they did not eat falafel in Spain, I am pretty sure - not sure about Salonika). In any case, the current "Israeli falafel" is no different from its Palestinian variety - nobody would associate it with Jews a century ago. 

And, of ocurse, my kind of Jews have a lot more in common with Poles than with the Sephardim culturally and gastronomically. Are you surprized?
Salonika certainly. Turkey almost certainly. Quite likely in the Mahgreb, which is Sephardic. This of course completely ignores the Mizrachi Jews.

And I am not surprised. However your statement that Jewish food means gefilte fish, etc. is not the same thing.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #738 on: March 04, 2015, 02:49:16 AM »

Salonika certainly. Turkey almost certainly. Quite likely in the Mahgreb, which is Sephardic. This of course completely ignores the Mizrachi Jews.

And I am not surprised. However your statement that Jewish food means gefilte fish, etc. is not the same thing.

Well, we have agreed that we have different notions of Jewishness. Yes, as far as I am concerned, Sephardim are no different from any other Moroccans Smiley And I do love the proper Moroccan food (never saw them eating much falafel, though).
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #739 on: March 04, 2015, 02:49:24 AM »

Well, but, at least, you have, it seems, agreed, that early Zionists couldnīt give a frock about the traditions, except the "traditions" they themselves invented. So, clearly, it was not a matter of preserving traditions that prevented them from assimilating into another society.

As for Yiddish... Hitler, of course, took care of the European Yiddishkeit. Zionists provided a coup de grace. Well, perhaps if the dead man were not murdered, he would have died by now. Quite likely in fact. So, should the murderer go free? Or are you suggesting it was a mercy killing?

This is silly. correlation does not imply causation. The early Israeli leaders discouraged use of Yiddish in Israel. However they had no control over Jews in Europe. If Yiddish disappeared in Europe, it is not because of Ben-Gurion.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #740 on: March 04, 2015, 02:50:47 AM »

Well, we have agreed that we have different notions of Jewishness. Yes, as far as I am concerned, Sephardim are no different from any other Moroccans Smiley And I do love the proper Moroccan food (never saw them eating much falafel, though).
Most Jews throughout history would disagree with you on this point.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #741 on: March 04, 2015, 02:53:29 AM »

This is silly. correlation does not imply causation. The early Israeli leaders discouraged use of Yiddish in Israel. However they had no control over Jews in Europe. If Yiddish disappeared in Europe, it is not because of Ben-Gurion.

They not merely encouraged the use of Hebrew: they openly despised the use of Yiddish. Given the enfeebled state of Yiddishkeit post-Holocaust, the strong new Zionist culture seemed attractive, so Yiddish fizzled: Hitler won their battle for them, though, of course, I have no doubt that they were not at all happy about the manner their victory came about.

It is not, really, that I blame Ben Gurion - I do not. He was perfectly in his right to do what he did, invent the mythology he did, use the opportunities that came up. But I do object to the idea that Ben Gurion was, somehow, preserving Jewish traditions: he invented the Israeli traditions instead.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #742 on: March 04, 2015, 02:54:05 AM »

Most Jews throughout history would disagree with you on this point.

Well, they have had no trouble, really, cutting the Karaites off (for all practical purposes). What is so different about the Sephardim?

And, I am pretty certain, most Jews throughout history (pre-1947) would have agreed with me on falafel.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #743 on: March 04, 2015, 03:00:23 AM »

They not merely encouraged the use of Hebrew: they openly despised the use of Yiddish. Given the enfeebled state of Yiddishkeit post-Holocaust, the strong new Zionist culture seemed attractive, so Yiddish fizzled: Hitler won their battle for them, though, of course, I have no doubt that they were not at all happy about the manner their victory came about.

It is not, really, that I blame Ben Gurion - I do not. He was perfectly in his right to do what he did, invent the mythology he did, use the opportunities that came up. But I do object to the idea that Ben Gurion was, somehow, preserving Jewish traditions: he invented the Israeli traditions instead.
Created Israeli traditions, yes, which filtered into Diaspora communities to become Jewish traditions.

Most Rabbis consider Karaites to be Halakhically Jewish, and they are classified as Jewish in Israel. The only person who did not consider them Jewish was Hitler.

And why are you pretending Mizrachi/Sephardi Jews don't exist? If they are Jews, and considered Falafel a Jewish food, then it's a Jewish food. Get over it, not all Jews are Ashkenazi.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #744 on: March 04, 2015, 03:06:25 AM »

Most Rabbis consider Karaites to be Halakhically Jewish, and they are classified as Jewish in Israel. The only person who did not consider them Jewish was Hitler.

And why are you pretending Mizrachi/Sephardi Jews don't exist? If they are Jews, and considered Falafel a Jewish food, then it's a Jewish food. Get over it, not all Jews are Ashkenazi.

Except that, of course, Karaites have patrilineal descent, so they are only Jewish if somehow it can be ascertained that the matrilineal descent works out Smiley So, they might be Jewish, but getting married may be another matter, from what I understand Smiley

Anyway, you insist on ignoring the fact that I have never claimed to have any cultural affinity with non-Ashkenazic Jews. As far as I am concerned, Israel in this sense is no different from an attempt to create a Catholic state, by moving the Irish and the Lithuanians ro the vicinity of Rome and making them all speak Latin. I know what my family traditions were. And, most definitely, they did not eat this disgusting thing called falafel. I also know that Palestinian Arabs have been eating falafel since times immemorial. If some of those Palestinian Arabs happen to be of Jewish faith - good for them. But I, actually, do not even share the faith - I am an atheist. What makes those particular Jewish Arabs different from Muslim and Christian Arabs, as far as I should be concerned?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #745 on: March 04, 2015, 03:06:27 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2015, 06:42:11 AM by Charlotte Hebdo »

Just a reminder: This post back on page 25 was the last one directly related to the election:

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #746 on: March 04, 2015, 06:05:51 AM »

Just reminder. This post back on page 25 was the last one directly related to the election:

Isn't it the Netenyahu giving the middle finger, not Herzog?

Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #747 on: March 04, 2015, 01:37:13 PM »

tl;dr the 5 pages of argument.

After the congress speech Likud bumped up a bit in polls.
danny
Israel

« Reply #748 on: March 04, 2015, 02:06:17 PM »

Mikado asked this in the other maps thread but it should be here:

Can there be a stable-for-Israel government out of this election that does not contain both Likud and Labor?  Looking at the numbers, I'm having trouble coming up with a Likud government with over 66ish seats, and a government with 61-65 seats is implausible.

Likud can't invite in the Arabs or the fascists, Meretz won't join, and he can have either the Haredi parties or Yesh Atid but not both. There's no obvious Likud coalition that isn't a grand coalition with Labor plus Kulanu, the Haredi, and Jewish Home and maybe Lieberman.

The "fascists" he can't invite is only Marzel himself, the other members of the party are natural partners of Bibi.

A government with 61-65 may be undesirable, but it is plausible and certainly could be created.

A government with both Lapid and the Haredim would be hard, but not impossible.

A grand coalition is something that I'm sure Bibi would like, but only if they don't demand a rotation, and I suspect that this would be the demand.

The basic coalition for Bibi would be Likud+Bennet+Shas+UTJ+Lieberman+Kachlon+Yachad (not including Marzel). Bibi would like something wider, but he could fall back on this if he must.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #749 on: March 04, 2015, 02:09:06 PM »

tl;dr the 5 pages of argument.

After the congress speech Likud bumped up a bit in polls.

But at the expense of the other right-wing parties. If anything, the polls do not show his coalition-building being any easier.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 56  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies