Midwest recall tracker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:17:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Midwest recall tracker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Midwest recall tracker  (Read 2338 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 06:55:47 PM »

Well, I'm all the time wrong for consitutional issues Tongue,
But a federal law doesn't apply to local elections no?
I mean, one of the reasons Riley isn't in jail is because he asked people to invalidate their vote in a local election (the last MW gubernational election), a not a federal election.

I think actually the reason he isn't in jail was because he knowingly explained to people that they would be invalidating their votes, as opposed to convincing people into unintentionally invalidate their votes by lying to them. The latter of which I believe is to what the law pertains, but I could be wrong; I don't think it's illegal to ask someone to invalidate their vote if they understand what they're doing.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 06:59:44 PM »

Well, I'm all the time wrong for consitutional issues Tongue,
But a federal law doesn't apply to local elections no?
I mean, one of the reasons Riley isn't in jail is because he asked people to invalidate their vote in a local election (the last MW gubernational election), a not a federal election.

The more things change, the more they stay the same *sigh*

Huh

Let's just say that this is hardly the first time that sort of scandal has occurred here.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 07:04:18 PM »

I think it's pretty clear that LeBron should resign with some shred of dignity rather than stay in office after this embarrassing performance. In the end, a clear majority will call for his recall, and even if this number doesn't reach 50% or more, his governorship has been a massive failure.

Disastrous laws such as banning businesses from firing gays, along with a chaotic and bizarre governing style, while espousing views such as support of creationism and banning teaching evolution in schools are probably only the tip of the iceberg in the dysfunctional disaster that LeBron has been lately. He has refused to answer simple questions about his political views, broken promises, antagonized individuals for no reason at all, and has simply been an embarrassment for the Midwest. His awfully high opinion of himself has definitely not helped get him out of this mess either.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 03:51:46 AM »

Baconbacon's vpte is valid Adam,
the 15 minutes limit is a federal law for federal elections,
the MW recall is a local election.

The following part of the constitution is relevant in this case (Article V, Section 2, Clause 8 ):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's important to note that clause 8 does not appear to make a distinction between federal and regional elections but just generally mentions posts at the place of voting which contain one or several votes. Since the federal constitution is superior to regional constitutions and laws, I'd even go as far as to claim that clause 8 doesn't only apply to federal or regional elections but also to federal or regional votes of any kind, e.g. votes on the ratification of federal amendments, federal initiatives, regional referenda etc.

Thus, I believe BaconBacon's vote is invalid.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2014, 04:33:55 AM »

I'm gonna be honest. It does appear that my vote is invalid. I accidentally voted abstain, rather than yes and I did not notice the error for 40 minutes.

Still, I think the result of the ballot proves it all. The people of the Midwest clearly do not have faith in their governor.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 05:18:47 AM »

If Fitzgerald manages to survive, yet with the majority of votes casted against him, he should take it as a clear vote of no confidence and resign. I understand the constitutional technicality, but not to do so would be extremely arrogant.

If, however, he's retained with a majority of support, the opposition have to respect that and give him at least some period of peace. 
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 06:52:14 AM »

No matter if I get a majority support or not, I will be staying on as our region's governor and I won't resign. Mistakes were made in my first few months as governor, but I can only promise there will be new and better leadership in my governing.

The voters of the Midwest have spoken and they're pretty evenly divided on keeping me as governor. The creationism debacle, flip-flopping, and all the dirty campaigning and negative publicity our region has taken after all of this is hurtful to this region and a lot of these are rookie mistakes, but I see a good future ahead of us. Our voters have decided to have a progressive legislature and a progressive governor, and I plan on giving them just that. We have new ideas and bills planned for the new session and with the new Game Moderator starting, I'll take concern and action on whatever may happen to our region.

I've shown to be a very active governor and we'll continue to have an active government that will listen to the concerns of our citizens. And over time, I have a good amount of hope just like I did last July in reviving the Midwest that good times are ahead for our region.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2014, 10:20:13 AM »

Don't blame me: I'm retired from party politics now Sad

If you are retired, why do you campaign for him? It's clear that some Labor Party members are putting partisan interests ahead of these of the Midwesterners. Even some of your coreligionists from other regions don't like Mr. 'LeBron' Fitzgerald. If you want to preserve the dignity of your party, as well some credibility among Midwestern and Atlasian 'progressives', you'd better advise Fitzgerald that he must resign.

Disastrous laws such as banning businesses from firing gays, along with a chaotic and bizarre governing style, while espousing views such as support of creationism and banning teaching evolution in schools are probably only the tip of the iceberg in the dysfunctional disaster that LeBron has been lately. He has refused to answer simple questions about his political views, broken promises, antagonized individuals for no reason at all, and has simply been an embarrassment for the Midwest. His awfully high opinion of himself has definitely not helped get him out of this mess either.

In addition, the claims below are certainly laughable...

I've shown to be a very active governor and we'll continue to have an active government that will listen to the concerns of our citizens. And over time, I have a good amount of hope just like I did last July in reviving the Midwest that good times are ahead for our region.

... considering his brilliant performance during the invasion attempt triggered by Gov Simfan.

Also, these statements prove how disrespectful of public opinion is the current 'Governor':

No matter if I get a majority support or not, I will be staying on as our region's governor and I won't resign. Mistakes were made in my first few months as governor, but I can only promise there will be new and better leadership in my governing.

I think this attitude is a strong reason to recall a public official. Everybody can make mistakes, but his words make clear that the priority of Mr 'Lebron' Fitzgerald is hanging on to his ego and not the people of this region. He's clutching the Governor's chair as he was pasted with carpenter's glue!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2014, 12:29:44 PM »

Adam, you're making exactly the same kind of mistake I've made when I first joined Atlasia some years ago. You're taking it all too personally, too angrily and you're waaay too attached to a position in what, after all, is supposed to be a freaking game.

You're still, as you've hinted yourself, a "rookie". You have your entire Atlasian "life" ahead of you. It's not like the real world politics, where you would be fighting for your political life now. You may very well survive this present recall. Or not. Big deal.

I'm not telling all this to be mean or to patronize you. Just a piece of advice from someone who has been through many elections, many ups and downs and held various offices.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2014, 01:17:43 PM »

As a mere observer, I missed parts of this debate. Would some me mind explaining what the "constitutional technicality" is that everyone is debating over?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2014, 02:19:54 PM »

As a mere observer, I missed parts of this debate. Would some me mind explaining what the "constitutional technicality" is that everyone is debating over?

The fact it takes a 3/5 majority to recall, instead of simple majority.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2014, 03:06:25 PM »

The fact it takes a 3/5 majority to recall, instead of simple majority.

Ah I see. That's a bit steep, I agree. Regardless of the outcome, I think it would behoove the Midwest to reexamine their recall provisions.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »

I think that resigning, if majority turns against him, would be simply the best course of action for Adam. That would be an honorable decision, winning him respect (which wouldn't be irrelevant in his futher political prospects).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2014, 03:34:56 AM »

Don't blame me: I'm retired from party politics now Sad

If you are retired, why do you campaign for him? It's clear that some Labor Party members are putting partisan interests ahead of these of the Midwesterners. Even some of your coreligionists from other regions don't like Mr. 'LeBron' Fitzgerald. If you want to preserve the dignity of your party, as well some credibility among Midwestern and Atlasian 'progressives', you'd better advise Fitzgerald that he must resign.

I didn't realize that I was "campaigning for him"? Huh All I said was that if I was subject to a recall effort - organized in large part by the "usual suspects" who aren't even a part of the Midwest - I'd be giving everyone who voted against me a big middle finger after surviving. And that's the reality: this entire thing has been heavily nationalized - first by the pro-recall people - so even if I were to campaign on his behalf, I wouldn't feel sorry for doing so for a second.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2014, 06:26:00 AM »

Recall

Yes 12 (52.2%)
No 10 (43.5%)
Abstain 1 (4.3%)

Turnout: 23 (85.2%)

Replacement

GAworth (P.E.A.C.E.-SD) 12 (54.5%)
Gass3268 (Lab-MB) 10 (45.5%)

Turnout: 22 (81.5%)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2014, 09:06:55 AM »

What does the blue on the map indicate?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2014, 09:11:08 AM »

I would assume an even split between both candidates / both measures?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2014, 09:42:50 AM »

I would assume an even split between both candidates / both measures?
Yes
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies