Jezreel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:16:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Jezreel
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jezreel  (Read 324 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »

Right now in my personal Bible study, I'm starting to go over Hosea (having just finished with Daniel).  I've gotta admit, if weren't that I think the details of his personal life were most likely myth, I'd be feeling a good deal of sympathy for Hosea right now.  Anyway, in Hosea 1:4-5, the prophet Hosea is told by YHWH to name his son Jezreel.
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now, most translations agree that the house of Jehu is to be punished for the bloodshed of Jezreel, but that causes a problem.  According to 2 Kings 9-10, the bloodshed done at Jezreel against the house of Ahab was sanctioned by Yahweh thru his prophets.  Now one reason I use the NASB (indeed the only reason I use the NASB) is that it has an extensive set of cross-references and footnotes, and the footnote for verse 4 indicates that the phrase translated "I will punish the house of Jehu for the bloodshed of Jezreel" is literally "I will visit the bloodshed of Jezreel on the house of Jehu". It seems to me that to avoid a contradiction, the passage in Hosea can't be taken as saying the house of Jehu will be punished for Jezreel, but instead that the house of Jehu will be punished in the manner of Jezreel.  However, I can't help but wonder if my interpretation is correct, how did the other interpretation become so predominant as to show up in almost all translations.

Thoughts?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 10:50:38 PM »

From more of my study of Hosea.

I call attention now to Hosea 1:10 (Hosea 2:1 in Hebrew testaments):
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Now it's not explicit, yet I think that from the context it can only be referring to Jezreel when it talks of the place, tho a case can be made for either the city or the valley. Hosea happens to be the last time Jezreel is referred to by that name in the OT and it's not referred to at all by that name in the NT. However, another name for the Jezreel Valley is the Megiddo Valley referring to Megiddo which was to the west of Jezreel in the same valley. I think it's safe to say most of you will have heard of Ar-Megiddo (aka Armageddon).  Another notable location associated with Jezreel is Mt. Tabor, on the northeastern side of the valley, and a traditional location of the Transfiguration.

Unfortunately, Hosea is silent about exactly where the prophet lived, so a more exact location than somewhere in the valley can't really be gleaned.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies