Electoral college poll by party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:52:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Electoral college poll by party
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you favor replacing the electoral college with a nationwide popular vote?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/L/O)

No (I/L/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 133

Author Topic: Electoral college poll by party  (Read 45044 times)
zorkpolitics
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2005, 06:31:48 PM »

Keep the EC.   
It reenforces that we are a Constitutional Federal Republic.  It makes States an important part of the process and provides a reminder that Power must be shared between States and Federal Government, not concentrated further.
I would support reform to make EV automatic, to eliminate unfaithful electors.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2005, 12:18:36 PM »

Keep it.  All the major reasons why have been mentioned, but the most compelling in my opinion is that direct popular vote would place the election in the hands of those who live in large urban areas.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 09:54:44 PM »

I agree with removing the physical electors.  I also don't disagree with ME/NE congressional system for awarding the electoral votes.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2006, 11:12:06 AM »

I think a nation-wide vote would be more democratic. On the other hand, the EC makes it more fun. :S I would support removing the senate EVs, to make the system more fair. That would be the best reform, probably.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2006, 11:53:28 AM »

I think a nation-wide vote would be more democratic. On the other hand, the EC makes it more fun. :S I would support removing the senate EVs, to make the system more fair. That would be the best reform, probably.
Not at all. If that were done the bullsh!t complaint about large areas controlling the entire nation would actually gain an edge of truth. And I begrudge Republicans that. Tongue Seriously speaking, the EC's two BIG drawbacks (large state advantage and small state advantage, so to speak) more-or-less cancel each other out, so to remove one but not the other would make matters worse.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2006, 02:44:28 PM »

Not at all. If that were done the bullsh!t complaint about large areas controlling the entire nation would actually gain an edge of truth. And I begrudge Republicans that. Tongue Seriously speaking, the EC's two BIG drawbacks (large state advantage and small state advantage, so to speak) more-or-less cancel each other out, so to remove one but not the other would make matters worse.

You have to consider the huge small-state advantage in the senate. That needs to be balanced.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2006, 03:24:44 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2006, 03:27:31 PM by Nym90 »

I'm ambivalent about the EC. Changing it might cause more harm than good if all potential changes that might result aren't taken into consideration. However, on principle, I oppose the EC. I believe that all votes nationwide should carry equal weight in determining the outcome.

The Presidency is the only office nationwide in which the candidate who gets the most votes doesn't win. Would it make sense to institute an EC style system for each state in electing its Governors or Senators, in which the candidate who won each county mattered rather than the overall statewide winner?

I disagree that the EC winner is the candidate with the broadest geographical appeal. I would actually argue that the opposite is true. If a candidate wins some states by large margins but loses others by narrow margins, why does that demonstrate a narrower geographic appeal than the candidate who wins several states by narrow margins and loses others by larger margins? In this instance, the first candidate at least was competitive in all of the states in question, whereas the second candidate really only had appeal in the states in which he won.

It's almost impossible to win the popular vote without at least being competitive nationwide, while a candidate could win the Electoral vote by concentrating on only 51 percent of the country and ignoring the other 49 percent.

Most people who analyze the EC seem to focus on the bias in favor of small states and against large ones, but this is very small compared to the bias in favor of close states and against lopsided ones. That bias is far more significant in the EC.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2006, 10:53:55 PM »

I'm pretty indifferent considering that usually the guy who gets the most votes wins.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2006, 07:41:22 PM »

No, I don't favor replacement of the electoral college.

It forces candidates to appeal across a broader spectrum geographically and among interest groups than would be the case with a nationwide popular vote.

Realistically, the only time the popular vote winner won't also win the electoral vote is in a very tight election, essentially a tie.  In this case, the electoral college is meant to favor the candidate with broader geographical appeal, and it worked that way in 2000.

The electoral college does give more power in general to small rural states, but the idea of states as co-equal individual units, regardless of size, is enshrined in the constitution through the concept of the Senate as well as the requirement that 3/4 of individual states ratify constitutional amendments, a requirement that does not take into account the population of the states that have or have not ratified an amendment.

I disagree with Bush's broder geographic appeal.  Gore had states in the Northeast, Midwest, and Pacific, all across the country.  Bush had pretty much the west and the south.  He had more states, but I think Gore's wins were more expansive.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2006, 10:47:52 PM »

I think it should be proportional...If you gets 60% in a state, you get 60% of the Electoral votes. Also, I think they should eliminate the limit to win. For instance..

Democrat - 265
Republican - 266
Independent - 7

The Republican still wins because he got a majority of the electorals.

The problem with that is that it effectively ruins the power of any state that institutes it - and good luck getting all states to at the same time.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2006, 10:14:40 PM »

I think it should be proportional...If you gets 60% in a state, you get 60% of the Electoral votes. Also, I think they should eliminate the limit to win. For instance..

Democrat - 265
Republican - 266
Independent - 7

266 is not a majority, it is a pluarality.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 06:32:10 AM »

A solid majority of Americans think the EC should be repealed.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2006, 07:00:27 PM »

I favor direct election of individual Electors, not a bloc. Also, if the Congress was returned to it's Constitutional apportionment the EV would mirror the PV much better than it currently does.
Congress passed a law limiting the size of the House, the Constitution states one Representative for every 30,000 people.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2006, 08:43:56 PM »

The poll results are certainly to be expected.

I wonder if things would be different had Bush been the PV winner and Gore the EC winner in 2000?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2006, 12:26:26 AM »

No (R)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2006, 05:02:10 PM »

I wonder if things would be different had Bush been the PV winner and Gore the EC winner in 2000?

I doubt it would be as lopsided since liberals are more likely to support individual rights.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2006, 05:27:25 PM »

Quite possibly, although you have to remember that in 2004 the EC played to the advantage of the Democrats. Kerry only lost Ohio by 2.11% and lost the national popular vote by 2.46%. So Kerry winning Ohio and thus the election in the EC was more plausible than Kerry winning the national popular vote.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2006, 08:48:11 PM »

YES!!!!!!
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2006, 09:12:29 PM »

Keep the EC, but I wish all states would use a Nebraska / Maine system.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2006, 01:49:25 AM »

Democrat - 265
Republican - 266
Independent - 7

The problem with that is that it effectively ruins the power of any state that institutes it - and good luck getting all states to at the same time.

Actually it would make California, New York, and Texas VERY competitive, while Ohio would become meaningless.  It depends state by state. It would really suck for swing states with an even number of electors (i.e. Ohio, Minnesota, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Maine) because their votes would always be negated.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2007, 01:36:15 AM »

This forum appears to be much more in favor of keeping the electoral college than the country as a whole.

Remember, Republicans, a uniform swing of 2.1% to Kerry from Bush would have won the electoral college for Kerry.

Check this thread out on the 1860 election.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=24045.0
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2007, 04:26:22 PM »

This forum appears to be much more in favor of keeping the electoral college than the country as a whole.

That's not all that surprising, because this board is also more aware of how it came to be and why it is.  Could the average American really explain it?

(Not that I'm a fan.)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2007, 02:40:10 AM »

We we're meant to have a confederacy of states, so that is why we have an electoral college. It's an issue of state's rights, and the 9th and 10th amendments. It was never really meant for it to be our choice for who became president, that is why we had an electoral college.Originally, state assemblies would choose the electors.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2007, 04:42:42 PM »

As a practical matter, the EC means that in a close race with a dispute about the outcome, the dispute is focused on just a State or two rather than the whole State.  While I would prefer to see the Maine and Nebraska formula of 1 per CD plus 2 for the whole State used in every State or even better, have each State apportioned into Collegial districts with 1 Elector per district as such would reduct the area of a dispute and possible recount to a manageable size.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2007, 05:56:28 PM »

That's not all that surprising, because this board is also more aware of how it came to be and why it is.  Could the average American really explain it?

(Not that I'm a fan.)

Why does that imply that?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies