Bob Dole on Immigration in 1996
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:55:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bob Dole on Immigration in 1996
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bob Dole on Immigration in 1996  (Read 2667 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:42:16 PM »
« edited: November 18, 2014, 07:47:58 PM by Moderate Hero »

So, Bob Dole went against a conservative amendment that insisted illegal immigrants children couldn't receive an education. Essentially,  Dole went on a Pete Wilson crusade against immigration.  This lead to Bob Dole receiving a record low of Hispanic votes, only 21%. And this could have helped swing Florida and Arizona to Clinton. (Though Social Security helped him as well) Though I wonder how much this helped Dole among white voters. Many other western states trended to the Republicans that year. Really though, this reminds me alot of the anti immigrant Romney.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »

It gave him Colorado, Georgia, and Montana though.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »

Romney was not anti-immigrant.

Clinton was not very popular amongst rural west because of enviromental policy. Bill Orton won by 22 points in Utah in 1994 and lost in 1996 because Clinton put a good percentage of his district off limits to developement. There was also the gun control issue. This is why so many Democrats in red states went for Obama over Hillary because fear of a repeat and to some extent that was the seeds of "I'm here" line Obama gave to when Marion Berry of AR expressed concerns about 2010. The extension of which was, "I'm not Clinton".

At least the baseline for a Candidate who is "defined" as anti-immigrant (by opponent/media), has risen from 21% to 27%.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 07:57:29 PM »

Also I am pretty sure that AZ was probably because the dropoff of in Perot support and how that was composed of.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 11:51:12 AM »

Found a really good article on this:
http://www2.fiu.edu/~morenod/scholar/1996.htm
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »

Another question, why did Asians vote for Bob Dole, when Romney got butched amongst the same group ostensibly because of immigration?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 05:13:18 PM »

Another question, why did Asians vote for Bob Dole, when Romney got butched amongst the same group ostensibly because of immigration?

1996 Asians were likely more heavily weighted towards Vietnamese and other Southeast Asian immigrants who were more disposed to Republicans because of lingering Cold War issues.

Asians didn't just dislike Romney because of immigration; they were turned off by a party that is increasingly anti-intellectual and prone to rhetoric that implies "their kind" are not welcome to be part of America's cultural patchwork.
Redban

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 06:25:45 PM »

So, Bob Dole went against a conservative amendment that insisted illegal immigrants children couldn't receive an education. Essentially,  Dole went on a Pete Wilson crusade against immigration.  This lead to Bob Dole receiving a record low of Hispanic votes, only 21%. And this could have helped swing Florida and Arizona to Clinton. (Though Social Security helped him as well) Though I wonder how much this helped Dole among white voters. Many other western states trended to the Republicans that year. Really though, this reminds me alot of the anti immigrant Romney.

Non sequitur

Dole may have been anti-immigration, but that position did not result in his 21% vote amongst Hispanics. His predecessors Reagan and Bush did marginally better, considering the ratio of Hispanic support vs ratio of general population support.

Hispanics simply don't vote Republican.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 01:45:21 AM »

1996 Asians were likely more heavily weighted towards Vietnamese and other Southeast Asian immigrants who were more disposed to Republicans because of lingering Cold War issues.

Asians didn't just dislike Romney because of immigration; they were turned off by a party that is increasingly anti-intellectual and prone to rhetoric that implies "their kind" are not welcome to be part of America's cultural patchwork.

Yes, but 25% difference? Has the Asian community really diversified that much in sixteen years? Also Romney did horribly amongst those same groups that apparently didn't mind the allegedly likewise anti-immigrant Bob Dole.

Exactly, I mentioned Todd Akin in aprevious post, but that was more symbolic in terms of the impact I was referring to, more generalized than just that one instance obviously.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies