Six Senators Needed to Save the Fillibuster

(1/4) > >>

Moooooo:
The LA Times reports on the six Senators who could save the fillibuster:

The arithmetic is fairly straightforward. Frist says he needs 51 votes to change the filibuster rule, and there are 55 Republicans in the Senate. One of those votes can come from the vice president, who as president of the Senate can vote to break a tie. That means to win the fight, Frist may be able to change the rules if he loses five senators; Democrats can win if he loses six.

Two Republicans — John McCain of Arizona and Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island — have said they will vote with the Democrats against the rules change. Four other senators have said they have concerns about changing the rules and are considering voting against it. They are Olympia J. Snowe and Susan Collins of Maine, John W. Warner of Virginia and Chuck Hagel of Nebraska. More are rumored to be privately opposed but fear voting against their leaders.

Seeking to win their support, Democratic leaders divided Republicans into what they called "responsible" and "radical" members of the GOP.

http://www.latimes.com

Moooooo:
McCain and Chafee are not a suprise, but I wonder why Sen. Warner (VA) is having second thoughts?

Shira:
Quote from: nickshepDEM on April 14, 2005, 09:59:26 AM

I wonder why Sen. Warner (VA) is having second thoughts?

Because he was married to Elizabeth Taylor.

Brandon H:
On the other hand, 5 Democratic Senators are needed to stop filbustering so there would be no need to consider the nuclear option.

bullmoose88:
Quote from: nickshepDEM on April 14, 2005, 09:59:26 AM

McCain and Chafee are not a suprise, but I wonder why Sen. Warner (VA) is having second thoughts?

I always thought Warner was sort of a proceedure defender.

Then again, once you start looking at the moderate republicans who might vote no, you have to start looking at the democrats who could flip...Lieberman and those from "Red States"-Landrieu etc...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page