OK, what happened in Maryland???
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:54:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OK, what happened in Maryland???
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: OK, what happened in Maryland???  (Read 9466 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2014, 09:16:31 PM »

If Hogan kills the Purple line, he'll just accelerate the growth of NoVa as businesses and people choose to expand in a state that actually has growing infrastructure. That will help turn Virginia blue in the long run. If he doesn't kill the Purple line, it will help the economy of the Maryland/DC burbs tremendously. So a win-win.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2014, 10:51:12 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2014, 12:30:05 PM by traininthedistance »

GGW thinks that Hogan can and will kill the Red Line but might have to let the Purple Line go through.  Fingers crossed that they're right and it's not just wishful thinking.

Obviously this is another reason (unstated but obvious) why MD-Gov was the absolute worst result of the night.  Good f**king gravy the prospect that these necessary things will be on the chopping block in favor of more counterproductive short-sighted dumb highway extensions makes me want to f**ing vomit.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2014, 12:58:49 AM »

Gansler would've won this in a walk. This is what happens when the party hand picks candidates they bomb! I hope Gansler is the one who unseats Hogan in 2018.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2014, 01:00:06 AM »

Gansler would've won this in a walk. This is what happens when the party hand picks candidates they bomb! I hope Gansler is the one who unseats Hogan in 2018.

I was a Heather Mizeur fan myself.
KCDem

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2014, 01:00:36 AM »

LOL no. Gansler was a non-stop gaffe machine. Mizeur could have won if only for the fact that she would have actually ran a campaign.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2014, 01:01:35 AM »

Mizeur is the only one who would've won. Gansler could've lost by more because he's just an epic bungler.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2014, 09:26:13 AM »

Yeah, Mizeur would've done great and won easily, but, alas, the establishment coalesced around the wrong candidate.  RIP transit in Maryland.  RIP Maryland burbs ever being competitive with NoVa.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »

RIP the environment in northern Virginia also.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2014, 01:57:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

WTF kind of state constitution is this?! Almost as bad (but in a different direction) as the West Virginia constitution that let's a simple majority overturn a governor's veto.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2014, 02:00:32 PM »

The Democratic gubernatorial wave fell just a tad short in MD I suppose.
Kraxner
Rookie

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2014, 02:40:44 PM »

If democrats just stopped with campaigning on gun control they might of kept illinois and maryland.

I dont understand why they just keep giving the republicans free votes with such a loser issue.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »

If democrats just stopped with campaigning on gun control they might of kept illinois and maryland.

I dont understand why they just keep giving the republicans free votes with such a loser issue.

No... MD Dems did not lose because of gun control it was more about taxes than anything.
Kraxner
Rookie

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2014, 03:09:46 PM by Kraxner »

No... MD Dems did not lose because of gun control it was more about taxes than anything.

http://www.wbaltv.com/politics/gun-control-forefront-of-maryland-governor-debate/29126656

Gun control really upset a lot of the few rural residents in maryland despite it being urban and a relatively small state.

Also O'malley's falling approval ratings didn't help at all and Anthony Brown made little efforts to differentiate himself from his boss.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/as-omalleys-approval-rating-falls-md-voters-not-confident-in-his-presidential-bid/2014/10/11/e48aebd2-5096-11e4-8c24-487e92bc997b_story.html
KCDem

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2014, 03:17:41 PM »

Hopefully some Maryland commuters can take Hogan out when he's getting out of his chauffeured limousine.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »

RIP the environment in northern Virginia also.

Sort of, yes, but RIP more of the environment in Maryland... some of why NoVa is growing so quickly population-wise is they actually have a halfway decent transportation infrastructure, including quite a bit of mass transit, which they're actively seeking to promote and increase.  Also, they believe somewhat in density.  Maryland, meanwhile, is going to get a lot more roads going to nowhere and, say, increasing the hellish sprawltopia of PG County.

Hopefully some Maryland commuters can take Hogan out when he's getting out of his chauffeured limousine.

The drivers here are bad enough that this is entirely possible.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »

Well, yes, obviously Washington DC needs a good long local economic depression or something. Can Ted Cruz save the environment of the Potomac region?
warandwar
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »

http://www.wbaltv.com/politics/gun-control-forefront-of-maryland-governor-debate/29126656

Gun control really upset a lot of the few rural residents in maryland despite it being urban and a relatively small state.

Also O'malley's falling approval ratings didn't help at all and Anthony Brown made little efforts to differentiate himself from his boss.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/as-omalleys-approval-rating-falls-md-voters-not-confident-in-his-presidential-bid/2014/10/11/e48aebd2-5096-11e4-8c24-487e92bc997b_story.html

I don't know if you realize, but the really rural parts of Maryland are pretty solidly Republican anyways. Gun control was only a major issue in the Republican primary campaign. It only came up in the context of Brown attacking Hogan for wanting lax regulations.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2014, 04:54:56 PM »

I thought this wasn't a big deal because of the heavily D legislature in Maryland until I read about the budgeting rules and that the Republicans picked up enough seats in one chamber to sustain vetoes. Yep Maryland is in for some harsh times.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2014, 05:47:42 PM »

Anyone interested in turning this into a Maryland megathread?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2014, 05:51:08 PM »

Anyone interested in turning this into a Maryland megathread?

That sounds like a fantastic idea to me.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2014, 08:22:33 PM »

I thought this wasn't a big deal because of the heavily D legislature in Maryland until I read about the budgeting rules and that the Republicans picked up enough seats in one chamber to sustain vetoes. Yep Maryland is in for some harsh times.

You need to get round to watching the later seasons of The Wire.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2014, 11:57:08 AM »

There's one thing I'm curious about:
Had Larry Hogan already been fairly famous before the election?
Or has he always been a no-name politician outside Maryland? (Or even within Maryland?)
Nichlemn

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2014, 09:32:08 PM »

How would O'Malley have fared if he was able to and ran for a third term? Pretty much the same as Brown?
KCDem

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2014, 10:27:34 PM »

I'm still shocked by this. I mean, 2002 was considered a perfect storm for Republicans, and they still only won by 4 points. This time, they won by 9 points, when the state is more diverse and more Democratic than it was 12 years ago. Truly insane.

No, Hogan won 52-47, that's 5 points.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2014, 11:05:36 PM »

The inevitable death of the Red Line

Purple?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length