Californians paying zero attention to governor's race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:25:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Californians paying zero attention to governor's race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Californians paying zero attention to governor's race  (Read 3482 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2014, 06:07:41 AM »

40% of likely voters don't know Jerry Brown is running for re-election.
Only 1 in 5 voters could name Neel Kashkari as his opponent.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/40-of-voters-unaware-Jerry-Brown-is-seeking-5865196.php
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 06:41:04 AM »

Yeah, Brown ignores Kashkari. On his Facebook Page he only adverstises for Props. 1 & 2. I've not seen a single post for his reelection bid.
I think Kashkari isn't a bad candidate, he just choose the wrong year and he isn't known very well in the Golden State.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 06:42:35 AM »

Kashkari just lives in the wrong state. He would be much better off in neighboring states of Nevada or Arizona
Panda Express

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 07:23:39 AM »

Isn't that probably not a good thing for downballot Dems?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 07:26:53 AM »

Kashkari is a joke. That homelessness stunt was gross.
KCDem

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »

Excellent news for Governor Brown's prospects of crossing 60%!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 11:15:19 AM »

I wonder if a less popular Governor (not Corbett level but a 50-48 approval kind of guy) would be able to win on a strategy of never acknowledging their opponent's existence and talking about ballot measures.

Honestly, it seems like a strategy that could work.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 11:57:45 PM »

Kashkari just lives in the wrong state. He would be much better off in neighboring states of Nevada or Arizona

I saw him speak once. He is a very intelligent and well-spoken person, but there was no way he was going to win this race.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 12:01:13 AM »

I saw him speak once. He is a very intelligent and well-spoken person, but there was no way he was going to win this race.

Are you sure?  After what happened in Maryland, I think anything is possible in California now...  Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 01:17:54 AM »

Are you sure?  After what happened in Maryland, I think anything is possible in California now...  Tongue

If all else fails, we re-elect incumbents. Tongue Last time an incumbent Governor was defeated was 1966.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 02:11:24 AM »

If all else fails, we re-elect incumbents. Tongue Last time an incumbent Governor was defeated was 1966.

You can't recall an election in 2003?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 03:05:20 AM »

I went back and forth on whether to count that one, because the dynamics of a recall election are so different from a normal vote. It's also worth noting that the year before, Gray Davis won re-election while being as popular as Ebola.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 03:13:28 AM »

I went back and forth on whether to count that one, because the dynamics of a recall election are so different from a normal vote. It's also worth noting that the year before, Gray Davis won re-election while being as popular as Ebola.

Well, put a different way, no Democratic California governor not named Edmund Brown has ever been governor for more than 5 years.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 03:23:39 AM »

Well, put a different way, no Democratic California governor not named Edmund Brown has ever been governor for more than 5 years.

I love silly factoids like that. A personal favorite of mine: since 1928, every Republican ticket for President to win has had Nixon or Bush on it. Republicans might want to draft Jeb for 2016.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 09:28:56 AM »

They weren't paying much attention to Sandra Fluke's candidacy either, it seems.   I'll expect my sandwich delivered at Noon, sharp.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 10:21:28 AM »

The voter turnout must have been very very low. Brown got less votes than Meg Whitman did in 2010. Just 3 million; four years ago he received around 5 million.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »

The voter turnout must have been very very low. Brown got less votes than Meg Whitman did in 2010. Just 3 million; four years ago he received around 5 million.

Votes are still being counted, but low turnout in California (and Washington and Oregon) could also further help to explain why Asians voted so Republican in this election.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 01:03:50 PM »

Low turnout destroyed down ballot Democrats in California. Just look at the even-ish PVI districts like Assembly 65, where the margin should have been tight, but Sharon Quirk-Silva got wiped out.

Democrats lost (I believe) the supermajorities in the Assembly and Senate as a result.
KCDem

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 02:02:51 PM »

Millions more ballots remain to be counted.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 02:59:24 PM »

Yeah, honesty I should just check back in two weeks.

Our current Secretary of State sucks, and the office as a whole is terribly inefficient and ineffective. Bowen was just planning to use that office as a stepping stone, but luckily lost the primary for a seat in Congress.

Not that Padilla will likely be any better. He's trying to move up in the ranks too, doubt he cares at all about being Secretary of State. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise everyone and do something groundbreaking like fixing their website...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »

Republicans are winning an assembly district in the Bay Area. This is an inner east bay suburban district and this is not the sort of place that has a large drop in turnout in midterm elections. I grew up here and I watched it turn from a Republican area into a Democratic area that kicked out Richard Pombo and elected Jerry Mcnerney. Maybe things are turning back as Democrats stick to their union allies and don't work for the people of California.
http://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/state-assembly/district/16/
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »

Republicans are winning an assembly district in the Bay Area. This is an inner east bay suburban district and this is not the sort of place that has a large drop in turnout in midterm elections. I grew up here and I watched it turn from a Republican area into a Democratic area that kicked out Richard Pombo and elected Jerry Mcnerney. Maybe things are turning back as Democrats stick to their union allies and don't work for the people of California.

I think inner would mean 510 area code not 925 area code. We'll see who wins when all the votes are counted. Still pretty weird.

Our current Secretary of State sucks, and the office as a whole is terribly inefficient and ineffective. Bowen was just planning to use that office as a stepping stone, but luckily lost the primary for a seat in Congress.

Not that Padilla will likely be any better. He's trying to move up in the ranks too, doubt he cares at all about being Secretary of State. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise everyone and do something groundbreaking like fixing their website...

Better a Democratic SoS that counts votes slow but reliably than a Republican SoS who steals elections.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »

Low turnout destroyed down ballot Democrats in California. Just look at the even-ish PVI districts like Assembly 65, where the margin should have been tight, but Sharon Quirk-Silva got wiped out.

Democrats lost (I believe) the supermajorities in the Assembly and Senate as a result.

I think they only had a 2/3rds majority in the state Senate because the districts up in 2012 really favored them after redistricting.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 04:07:37 PM »

I think inner would mean 510 area code not 925 area code. We'll see who wins when all the votes are counted. Still pretty weird.

Better a Democratic SoS that counts votes slow but reliably than a Republican SoS who steals elections.

Haha wow that is a fukcup on my part. I meant outer east bay. Anyways, neither me nor my family have lived there in a while. I don't know much about the Republican candidate except she is from my town. The Republicans in Pleasanton tend to be moderate although you may consider them extreme on fiscal/union issues. The race should tighten a bit but she will win. I can pretty much call it based on the margin she already has.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 04:20:25 PM »

I guess this is a result of the nonpartisan redistricting. I'm thinking we'll end up seeing eight to ten seat swings in the Assembly every year as a result of Presidential/high turnout and midterm/abysmal turnout with a Democratic majority for eternity.

Senate should remain more stable, and have a Democratic majority for as long as the eye can see as well. The even seats will always be contested in midterm years and the odd seats will always be up in Presidential years. This year was the first that the even seats were up with the new "nonpartisan" map.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies