Oil in Cuba
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:21:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Oil in Cuba
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Oil in Cuba  (Read 3278 times)
Shira

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2005, 08:59:56 PM »

Do you believe that Castro would still be the president of Cuba if Cuba had oil like Iraq?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 09:24:16 PM »

Yes.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 09:29:50 PM »

Why?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 10:02:35 PM »

So...it'd be like Venzuela basically?
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 10:09:44 PM »

I agree with Lunar. Venezuela is one of the largest producers of crude oil, 4th in the world if I believe, and has a very hostile president towards the U.S. in office. If we follow the theory that Iraq was all for oil, than Venzuela should be next on the list. Somehow I doubt we will have forces on the ground there anytime soon.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 10:12:23 PM »

Has this oil just been dscovered? If so, yes. If it was 40 years ago, no, because the UIS would'ver funded a rebellion against Castro, and then a rebellion against his replacement Smiley
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 10:43:45 PM »

I agree with Lunar. Venezuela is one of the largest producers of crude oil, 4th in the world if I believe, and has a very hostile president towards the U.S. in office. If we follow the theory that Iraq was all for oil, than Venzuela should be next on the list. Somehow I doubt we will have forces on the ground there anytime soon.

Part oil, part personal vendetta, part evil dictator who murdered millions.

Evil dictator gone-good
Personal vendetta-resolved
Oil-1500 dead

If the main reason for the war was to destroy an evil regime who possessed WMD's, them why didn't we start with a country who actually had WMD's? You conservatives have always been isolationists, never wanting to put US resources in a country unless it directly affected us, so why have you become so humanitarian all of a sudden?
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 03:10:34 PM »

Evil dictator gone-good
Oil-1500 dead

If the main reason for the war was to destroy an evil regime who possessed WMD's, them why didn't we start with a country who actually had WMD's? You conservatives have always been isolationists, never wanting to put US resources in a country unless it directly affected us, so why have you become so humanitarian all of a sudden?

First, I'm not a conservative. I don't know how I can be a conservative if I'm pro-choice and not a Christian, so stop over generalizing. I'm a centrist (moderate) Republican.

I think most can agree that different problems call for different solutions. Not all problems can be delt with diplomacy. With regards to Iraq, I believe that the war was justified, however, the post-war was badly planned. They didn't seriously consider a Palestinian-like resistance and are now paying for it. I tend to take the Bill Maher approach towards Iraq. What is going in Iraq has led to popular democratic movements in Lebanon, Egypt, Saudi Arabia (to an extent; women still can't vote) and the Palestinian territories. The fact that the Palestinians might have an actual state and at peace with Isreal is a real probability and not just "talk". All this goes back to the intervention in Iraq and Afghanistan. Jon Stewart even said about George W. Bush, "my kids are going to a school named after him". To say that Republicans are isolationists is just a foolish thing to say. If isolationist means not working with the UN, then call me an isolationist. While your at it, you can call Clinton an isloationist as well. If anything you, not Democrats in general, lack foresight.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 03:14:36 PM »

Evil dictator gone-good
Oil-1500 dead

If we knew we were lying about WMDs, but were clever enough to convice the world otherwise, why weren't we also clever enough to plant fake WMDs in Iraq once we got there?
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 05:07:23 PM »

Do you believe that Castro would still be the president of Cuba if Cuba had oil like Iraq?
Cuba does have a fair amount of oil offshore.  Notice that the U.S. Gulf Coast, the Mexican Gulf Coast and Venezulea are all big oil producers.  Future oil discoveries in Cuba are likely to lead to friendlier relations between the U.S. and Cuba (much as we are currently forced to be nice Venezuela).
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 05:41:26 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2005, 05:44:05 PM by J.R. Brown »

Evil dictator gone-good
Oil-1500 dead

First, I'm not a conservative. I don't know how I can be a conservative if I'm pro-choice and not a Christian, so stop over generalizing. I'm a centrist (moderate) Republican.

I think most can agree that different problems call for different solutions. Not all problems can be delt with diplomacy. With regards to Iraq, I believe that the war was justified, however, the post-war was badly planned. They didn't seriously consider a Palestinian-like resistance and are now paying for it. I tend to take the Bill Maher approach towards Iraq. What is going in Iraq has led to popular democratic movements in Lebanon, Egypt, Saudi Arabia (to an extent; women still can't vote) and the Palestinian territories. The fact that the Palestinians might have an actual state and at peace with Isreal is a real probability and not just "talk". All this goes back to the intervention in Iraq and Afghanistan. Jon Stewart even said about George W. Bush, "my kids are going to a school named after him". To say that Republicans are isolationists is just a foolish thing to say. If isolationist means not working with the UN, then call me an isolationist. While your at it, you can call Clinton an isloationist as well. If anything you, not Democrats in general, lack foresight.

I was addressing conservatives in general. In general, conservatives in the past have been anti-intervertion when it comes to foreign affairs until recently. When you're presenting a simple generalizaton you tend to generalize. Hence my generalization. If I wanted to do an indepth analysis of conservatives I would. But I don't have time for that. They may have went into Iraq for a number of reasons. Oil or they may have really wanted to democratize the country. In doing all of this they may have accidently started a trend in the Middle East. Supporting the UN and cooperating with other countries is a good thing. The problem with the U.S. is that we're so ethnocentric, we believe that our culture is supperior to anyone elses, that we can't play nice with the other kids in the neighborhood. There are some that need to be bullied, but not the entire world. That's not how we work.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 05:44:37 PM »

You need a better education about our history with Cuba, starting in the early 1960s.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 07:52:22 PM »

i'd go 20 years earlier, KEmp.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 04:10:42 AM »

No, of course not.  Though the only reason Castro has not been killed by the US is that the 'threat' of Cuba was a good scare tactic to bring out right-wing votes during the cold war, as well as the rich-Cuban vote now residing in Florida.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 10:00:21 AM »

yes, that's also why the US has it's extremely hypocritical stances on trade with China and trade with Cuba.
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2005, 04:18:57 PM »

While i tend to believe the worst of Bush, i agree that he wonīt invade Venezuela.
but I donīt think even the worst republican/conservative partisan would call Venezuel an dictatorship.
If there was discovered big quentaty of oil in a HOSTILE dictatorship close to USA in an nonmuslim country, do anybody really think that ANY American adminsteration wouldnīt takes step to bring this strategecal resource under american control?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2005, 04:34:21 PM »

I'm an independent liberal and I don't feel that Castro and Chavez are really all that different in political status.  Chavez pretends a bit more and Jimmy Carter thinks he's decent, but that's about it.

Just like every country, American foreign policy acts in its best interests. 
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2005, 04:43:17 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2005, 12:54:09 PM by ragnar »

I'm an independent liberal and I don't feel that Castro and Chavez are really all that different in political status.  Chavez pretends a bit more and Jimmy Carter thinks he's decent, but that's about it.

Just like every country, American foreign policy acts in its best interests. 

1: Castro and Chavez are both autoritan leaders, but while Cuba is an one party dictatorship, Venezuela is not, it has nothing to do with the leaders, who are both amoral greedy bastards, who deserves to end up in prison for the rest of their lives, itīs the two countries who are different.

2: it was not an attack on US.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2005, 11:22:42 PM »

While i tend to believe the worst of Bush, i agree that he wonīt invade Venezuela.
but I donīt think even the worst republican/conservative partisan would call Venezuel an dictatorship.
If there was discovered big quentaty of oil in a HOSTILE dictatorship close to USA in an nonmuslim country, do anybody really think that ANY American adminsteration wouldnīt takes step to bring this strategecal resource under american control?

I can't imagine any serious person not calling Venezuela a dictatorship.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 09:56:57 PM »

I can't imagine any serious person not calling Venezuela a dictatorship.
The International Freedom of Expression eXchange agrees with John Ford and Lunar.

As does the U.S. Department of State

and so does the Global Coordinating Committee for Press Freedom Organizations (GCCPFO)

and the Inter-American Press Association

and Reporters Without Borders

even those lefties at Human Rights Watch agree

And that's just talking about the repressive press laws Chavez and company recently put into place...
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 12:53:37 PM »

http://www.freedomhouse.org/research/freeworld/2004/countryratings/venezuela.htm

Political Rights: 3
Civil Liberties: 4

Venezuela is not a nice place, but itīs not a dictatorship
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 02:29:43 PM »

Ah, Cuba might have oill.

http://www.energybulletin.net/1212.html
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 10:25:32 PM »

http://www.freedomhouse.org/research/freeworld/2004/countryratings/venezuela.htm

Those ratings have only been this good because of the resistance to Chavez. Now that Chavez stole bought 'won' the referendum, he's busy attacking anything that might possibly stand in his way. Read those links again - "The amendments extend the scope of existing provisions that make it a criminal offense to insult or show disrespect for the president and other government authorities." - from Human Rights Watch. Hello, what do you think Chavez is doing with these laws if not crushing all dissent?
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2005, 01:29:24 PM »

Those ratings have only been this good because of the resistance to Chavez. Now that Chavez stole bought 'won' the referendum, he's busy attacking anything that might possibly stand in his way. Read those links again - "The amendments extend the scope of existing provisions that make it a criminal offense to insult or show disrespect for the president and other government authorities." - from Human Rights Watch. Hello, what do you think Chavez is doing with these laws if not crushing all dissent?

Itīs not the Character of the ruler, who tells us, whetever a country is dictatorship, but the character of the people. While they are rare there have been enlighted dictators (or rather monarchs), but this doesnīt make their countries democrazies, bad and authoritarian democratic rulers doesnīt make a country a dictartorship either.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 10:47:18 PM »

Itīs not the Character of the ruler, who tells us, whetever a country is dictatorship, but the character of the people. While they are rare there have been enlighted dictators (or rather monarchs), but this doesnīt make their countries democrazies, bad and authoritarian democratic rulers doesnīt make a country a dictartorship either.

The trendlines are worrying, and not headed in a good direction. You'll see in the months and years to come...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies