2020 is the Election Democrats Should Really Be Focusing On..... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:40:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 is the Election Democrats Should Really Be Focusing On..... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 is the Election Democrats Should Really Be Focusing On.....  (Read 6214 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« on: October 27, 2014, 08:15:11 AM »

Your answer, from the first paragraph, agrees with what I've been thinking. But, from the second paragraph, I disagree because it should be encouraged to move the United States people off the rigged system of having mostly uncompetitive U.S. House races.

But there's a difference between races being uncompetitive because lines have been drawn in a contrived way to make them uncompetitive, and races being uncompetitive because a natural district happens to share an opinion on who should represent it.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »

Your answer, from the first paragraph, agrees with what I've been thinking. But, from the second paragraph, I disagree because it should be encouraged to move the United States people off the rigged system of having mostly uncompetitive U.S. House races.

But there's a difference between races being uncompetitive because lines have been drawn in a contrived way to make them uncompetitive, and races being uncompetitive because a natural district happens to share an opinion on who should represent it.
What makes a 'natural' district, there is no objective standard for what makes a district.

That being said, I don't think every district should be made competitive (if that were even possible).    Both very conservative and very liberal voices should be represented in the House.  They just shouldn't hold as much sway as they do now, where they prevent any sort of cooperation from happening.

I don't think "safe districts" equates to "very conservative and very liberal" districts.

I'm not versed enough to speak terribly well to the "natural"ness of districts, but suffice it to say that there are districts that better represent coherent communities of interest than do others.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies