Deadest Clinton/Romney-state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:23:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Deadest Clinton/Romney-state
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which Clinton/Romney-state is the deadest for the Democrats?
Arkansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Missouri
Tennessee
West Virginia
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Deadest Clinton/Romney-state  (Read 5650 times)
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »

Those six States were won by Clinton in both 1992/1996, but none of them by Obama.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:09:03 PM »

I mean, elephant in the room is that a lot of people who have no problem voting for other Democrats weren't going to vote for a Black candidate, so I'm not sure they're any more "dead" to ALL Democrats than they were pre-Obama.  But just looking at their local politics, Tennessee looks to be the most dead.

In fact, I would say Tennessee is the ONLY one that's *completely* dead.  Democrats are currently defending Senate seats in every other one, and four of them have Democratic governors.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:12:54 PM »

I mean, elephant in the room is that a lot of people who have no problem voting for other Democrats weren't going to vote for a Black candidate, so I'm not sure they're any more "dead" to ALL Democrats than they were pre-Obama.  But just looking at their local politics, Tennessee looks to be the most dead.

In fact, I would say Tennessee is the ONLY one that's *completely* dead.  Democrats are currently defending Senate seats in every other one, and four of them have Democratic governors.

I share your opinion. The other five states regularly elect Democrats to statewide offices. Tennessee doesn't. It didn't even vote for its favorite son in 2000.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »

Nationally? West Virginia. At the state wide level? Tennessee
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:33:48 PM »

Nationally? West Virginia. At the state wide level? Tennessee
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 09:47:57 PM »

You need a lot of racist Democrats/ Independents to make up the differences in states Obama lost by 23.69% (Arkansas), 20.40% (Tennessee) and 17.21% (Louisiana.)

Racist Republicans don't matter because they were always going to go for the GOP candidate.

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 10:22:42 PM »

Since this is about presidential elections, I'll go with West Virginia.
Unimog
Namibia

Political Matrix
E: -3.00, S: -2.00

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 01:38:23 AM »

They are all dead for the Democrats, because it is not only racism. The decline began with Gore  and Kelly. It is similar toGOP and Hispanics.

The democratic party is not addressing the white population in the (poor) South and in Appalachia.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 07:45:16 AM »

I mean, elephant in the room is that a lot of people who have no problem voting for other Democrats weren't going to vote for a Black candidate
Honestly, if you look at the map of the swing, most of that came in coal mining regions that are very pro-life and pro-gun rights, who perceive Obama and other liberals as hostile to coal.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 08:28:32 AM »

Tennessee has been fully dead since the retirement of Bredesen in 2010, outside of a couple house districts.

West Virginia, outside of the governorship and MAYBE the third congressional district, will be dead as soon as Manchin retires.

As far as Kentucky goes, well, it's only not dead (outside of the governorship) because McConnell is such a terrible senator (his approval rating is LOWER than Obama's in KY!).

Louisiana is close to dead already outside of New Orleans, and will be dead if Landrieu loses.

Missouri is not dead. It has no problem with electing democratic governors and democratic senators. It has consistently been trending republican at the presidential level over the last 20 years, but it hasn't bled down to statewide races at this point.

Arkansas looks completely dead at the presidential level, but a lot of that has to do with Obama. We'll have to see how it acts in 2016 when he's not on the ballot. In terms of other races, the governorship and the senate races do lean republican, but are definitely winnable for democrats.

-------

Tennessee is the most dead, with Louisiana not far behind.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 09:44:58 AM »

Tennessee, followed by Louisiana. 
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »

If Hillary is the Democratic nominee next time, she could have a narrow shot at Missouri and Arkansas, but I don't see her carrying any of the others.  Another Democratic nominee would only have a very slim chance at Missouri, and no chance in the others. 
GaussLaw
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 06:30:17 PM »

I mean, elephant in the room is that a lot of people who have no problem voting for other Democrats weren't going to vote for a Black candidate
Honestly, if you look at the map of the swing, most of that came in coal mining regions that are very pro-life and pro-gun rights, who perceive Obama and other liberals as hostile to coal.

As if Kerry weren't a liberal........

I agree that the shift in 2012 was due to coal.  2008, a variety of factors came into play.  I don't think it was so much his race, but more that he seemed "foreign"......with background in Kenya/Indonesia, attending fancy universities, "clinging to guns and religion", etc.   If Obama were a black Democrat representing Louisville's congressional district and had a name like "Kenneth Brown", he would've done much better in those areas.

NOTE:  I am NOT condoning the reasoning behind how these voters in the Ozarks/Appalachians voted.  I'm just saying that it was more Obama's "persona" than just strictly his race.
Spacephys02

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 04:28:04 PM »

I would have to say West Virginia on the national level. I saw a poll from PPP that said that voters there supported impeaching Obama 49-37. Even 38% of Democrats in the state supported impeaching the president. The state also had the biggest swing towards the Republicans of all the states listed here in the presidential election. What's happening in this state looks similar to Vermont back in 2004 except it's in the opposite political direction.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 07:45:04 AM »

West Virgina, only because the change in party affiliation. Maintained its working cladd roots, but a reliably conservative state.

Good luck in Dems winning it back anytime soon. But we gained Va in process.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 09:01:15 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2014, 09:06:44 AM by RR1997 »

West Virginia at national level, Tennessee at state level.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 06:11:42 PM »

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 09:42:58 PM »

Clinton is a wild card, but Arkansas in general at the Presidential level.  The right type of Democrat could make things interesting definitely in TN, KY, WV, and MO.  Louisiana has a large enough black population, and even trended pretty hard towards Obama in 2012.  Arkansas is turning into another Alabama. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies